Author Topic: adding more than one tranny' and a switch  (Read 4931 times)

hendrixrules

adding more than one tranny' and a switch
« on: January 12, 2004, 04:20:13 PM »
this is the first pedal ive ever attemted to build, and i havent actually built it yet just planed it. ive drawn up a schematic with 3 NPN trannys and a switch between them. Its going to take some tricky jumping but i think it will work.  :?: will changing the tranny affect the sound much and if yes then how much?
"It was working a minute ago!"

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 10:41:12 AM »
Trannies will definately change the sound :) Becuase the gain of the first transistor will pump the 2nd one into overdrive which till send the third one into screaming oscillating distortion :twisted:

If you're building a clean boost, that's not good. If you don't care, then go ahead. :)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

hendrixrules

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 02:46:29 PM »
im talkin about puttin a switch in so that only one tranny is on at once but do different trannys make different sounds :?:
but thanks for the tip on distortion though :twisted:
"It was working a minute ago!"

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 11:29:43 AM »
So you wanna have this booster and change trannies with a switch. Hmm. Well with this one it doesn't really matter what transistor you use. So switching trannies wouldn't really help. You could try adding a Big Muff tone control though :D That'd add a bit more dimension to it.

mjaskula

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 10:01:20 PM »
I bought two transistors (2N5088 and 2N2222) to try in the circuit and think that they sound different. One has more gain while the other has a warmer tone, I forget which is which. I thought about doing the same thing you are talking about here. I think you would need a 3p3t to switch the base emitter and collector between the two transistors. I'm not sure how you would do it with three, I guess not with a stomp switch.

one thing that woried me is the abrupt change between transistors would probably cause loud popping sounds thrugh your amp, at least mine did when I accadentally inserted one into the socket while live. I am sure that this is not good for the amp, and possably the transistor.

I would be interested in the results if you try this, perhaps other people have ideas on how well this would work? I'd love to see a schematic if it involves more than just the switch.
~matt j

aron

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 04:41:13 AM »
For me the 2N5088 has more gain and the 2N2222, a warmer tone.

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 10:42:13 AM »
I tried a BC 147 (a, b and c) and they made no difference to my ears. Could be my shitty amp though...

aron

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 01:49:07 AM »
Seeing as this is a booster and not so much a distortion etc... I would probably use a rotary switch to choose between different input capacitors or emitter capacitors rather than switch transistors (which would probably make lots of noise while switching).