Way Huge Schematics?

Started by MRTelec, January 12, 2004, 05:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRTelec

*ducks as everyone throws rotten vegetables*

:D

Are Way Huge schematics fair game now?  They're not made anymore and expensive as hell - doesn't that fit the DIY catagory perfectly?  I know Jack Orman is making clones (I don't know if he has permission or not - I assume he probably does) so I was wondering if it'd be alright to ask for schematics.  I'm not all that interested in building them, I might build one or two if I can get my hands on the schemes, but I'm more interested in seeing how they work.

Thanks, and I don't mean to start a whole thread on ethics.

Mike

jrc4558

*crowling in from the neighbouring entrenchmet

Yeah, how about sharing the fun and knowledge?

It's good carma, y'know... :D

idlefaction

it's pretty well known that some of the way huge designs are tweaks on something we already know and love - TS-9, fuzz face, bmp, apparently the red llama is an anderton fuzz of some kind?  i forget.

i'd eat my shorts to get a swollen pickle to pull apart tho.  :P
Darren
NZ

amz-fx

QuoteI know Jack Orman is making clones

Not me...  I don't have a single Way Huge schematic!   Anyone got some to share?   :D  :D

regards, Jack

MRTelec

Must have been someone else.  Sorry for the mixup.  :)

ExpAnonColin

I'm sure the swollen pickle is pretty simple... perchance I can find someone who owns it on the HC forums and get them to take a few pictures of the innards.

-Colin

jrc4558

I can offer pics of a newly purchased HIWATT wah wah 8)
Opamps only and buch better sounding than inductor!
Variable Q control too!

Bluesgeetar

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo!  No one really answered the question of whether or not posting detailed pics and schematics of Way Huge pedals is open game or what?  All I've seen is alot of wishing but no answers to the big question.  Maybe when some hard solid answers start appearing and less wishing, those pics and schematics may start appearing in some of you guys with webpages, email to throw on your site.     :wink:

Bluesgeetar

Has anyone emailed the guy and asked?  I mean come on!  If he is not gonna make the pedals anymore please share his ideas with the rest of the world.   I hate these for money pedal builders sometimes.  They take but don't give.  You don't think one of them suckers is gonna jump on that piggybacking tranny idea soon and use it?  But they sure as heck won't share any of their ideas with us.   I know quite a few folks with WH pedals that would let me borrow their pedal for a while and I know one insane pedal repair guy with his "secret notebook"  that has tons of schems for WH and many other pedals.  He'd let me have any schem I want.  So let me ask this is WH pics and schems like music sharing?  You know can you share WH stuff to "friends" and such?  As long as your not making money off the material?

amz-fx

Is it Okay to Clone?

I would like to peek in the secret notebook!  :D  :D

regards, Jack

jrc4558

Peeking is goooooooood!  :D

Doug H

Quote from: Constantin NecrasovI can offer pics of a newly purchased HIWATT wah wah 8)
Opamps only and buch better sounding than inductor!
Variable Q control too!

R.G. Keen has an excellent write-up on his site about how graphic and parametric EQs work. In it, he describes how to build a gyrator circuit with op amps. This behaves like an inductor and is a basic building block of many active EQ circuits. It's not too much of a stretch to imagine this idea being applied to an inductor-less wah.  In fact, I think R.G. has a schem for one of those as well, but it's been a while since I looked...

Just a side editorial comment: I wish there was as much energy expended searching for knowledge as there was searching for schematics on here. Now that Jay's challenge has slipped into the nether world and the excitement of the piggybacking has died down, it looks like the interest is going back to cloning again. Ho-hum... Oh well, I guess I'm just missing the old days...

(This was intended as a general comment on the forum, not a response to your post, Constantin. Just trying to shed a little light on what may be in your wah and use that as a seque to get on my soapbox. :D )

Doug

RDV

Quote from: Doug HJust a side editorial comment: I wish there was as much energy expended searching for knowledge as there was searching for schematics on here. Now that Jay's challenge has slipped into the nether world and the excitement of the piggybacking has died down, it looks like the interest is going back to cloning again. Ho-hum... Oh well, I guess I'm just missing the old days...

(This was intended as a general comment on the forum, not a response to your post, Constantin. Just trying to shed a little light on what may be in your wah and use that as a seque to get on my soapbox. :D )

Doug
I took on Jay's challenge and built a killer-diller OD based the Peppermill. I'm using it every night I play. It sounds especially good with my P-90 equipped Les Paul Jr. Special! I'm with you on this. I get bored very easy, & I'm looking forward to coming up with something new. I really want to build something time-based next, like a chorus, or maybe a phase shift like the uni-vibe sounding Phase45 thingy.

Regards

RDV

RDV

Quote from: amz-fxIs it Okay to Clone?

I would like to peek in the secret notebook!  :D  :D

regards, Jack
I'm surprised that the Beano anti-gas company has not gotten involved in this!

Regards

RDV

Mr.Huge

I’ve posted before about Way Huge Electronics schematics, but here it goes again.
I don’t give out Way Huge schematics, period (I never have and never will). That’s my choice. Just because Way Huge is not building pedals any more doesn’t mean that the information is not valuable and should be given out freely. Furthermore, I just don’t give out Way Huge Electronics intellectual property. Any Way Huge IP that has been given out was done under an NDA. Information isn’t always free.  Now when some of you DIY’er go into business building pedals for a living you may change your mind about sharing all your knowledge and information.

However, I don’t have a problem with anyone reverse engineering a Way Huge pedal drawing a schematic and posting it. That is perfectly legal (I should know I have a lawyer in my house). I’m just not going to hand it to you on a platter. The Internet didn’t have all these helpful sites on pedal building and schematics when I started. I learned the old fashioned way. I reverse engineered pedals, I became friends with repair guys and techs that built pedals for large companies, and I read a lot of books!
Anyways, I have my reasons for not giving out Way Huge schematics and that’s that. I’m more than happy to help people with their DIY projects and I have many times in the past.
I’ve posted a number of highly prized schematics from my gigantic pedal schematic archive (Roland Phase 5, Jetphaser, TC Distortion, etc…)
Here’s a picture of the inside of an old Swollen Pickle.

Cheers,
-Jeorge
BEN:   Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

LUKE:   But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters...

VADER:   I find your lack of faith disturbing.

ExpAnonColin

Well, whatever floats your boat. I'm not going to argue with you or tell you that you're "mean" for not giving us the schematic, because it's totally your choice.  Thanks for the picture! :)

-Colin

puretube

Ansil

Quote from: Mr.HugeI’ve posted before about Way Huge Electronics schematics, but here it goes again.
I don’t give out Way Huge schematics, period (I never have and never will). That’s my choice. Just because Way Huge is not building pedals any more doesn’t mean that the information is not valuable and should be given out freely. Furthermore, I just don’t give out Way Huge Electronics intellectual property. Any Way Huge IP that has been given out was done under an NDA. Information isn’t always free.  Now when some of you DIY’er go into business building pedals for a living you may change your mind about sharing all your knowledge and information.

However, I don’t have a problem with anyone reverse engineering a Way Huge pedal drawing a schematic and posting it. That is perfectly legal (I should know I have a lawyer in my house). I’m just not going to hand it to you on a platter. The Internet didn’t have all these helpful sites on pedal building and schematics when I started. I learned the old fashioned way. I reverse engineered pedals, I became friends with repair guys and techs that built pedals for large companies, and I read a lot of books!
Anyways, I have my reasons for not giving out Way Huge schematics and that’s that. I’m more than happy to help people with their DIY projects and I have many times in the past.
I’ve posted a number of highly prized schematics from my gigantic pedal schematic archive (Roland Phase 5, Jetphaser, TC Distortion, etc…)
Here’s a picture of the inside of an old Swollen Pickle.

Cheers,
-Jeorge

(Applauds at the Man  8) )

idlefaction

lol!  is that a hex inverter or a quad opamp...  :P

i have a friend who has one and he offered a few times to lend it to me, but i'd rather get there on my own steam aye.
Darren
NZ

afranks

Wow... finally a policy that makes a shred of sense!  I think that's the way you have to play it if you're in the fx business: 1) no schematics given 2) if you figure it out on your own, godspeed, and 3) glad to help with something unrelated to Way Huge designs.

Thanks Jeorge...  I'm curious...  Are you still at Line6?  If so, what are you working on there?  

-alan