Way Huge Schematics?

Started by MRTelec, January 12, 2004, 05:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idlefaction

oh!  btw man, i fell in love with the swollen pickle in '98 and to this day haven't met a pedal i've liked more.  even mine.  well done.  :D  the thing i remember the most is trying to find a place where i didn't like the sound of the tone knob, and failing.  :P

what's the general topology?  it does sound quite BMP, i'd always suspected it was a tweaked out bmp actually.  but clearly it's not.
Darren
NZ

RDV

Ha!! So who on this panel is gonna fork over the Mega$$$$ to those pedal weasels over on eBay(ne-of-my existance) for a pickle so my ass can have a schematic?

F - it

RDV

Hal

come onnnn the back too the back tooo!!!!

:-D :-D :-D

Thanks for the lesson that legality beats ethics :-D

j.k. that sounds mean too.  Don't take anything I say to seriously right now, I'm in a mean kinda mood.  

Oh and that thing about "peaking into the notebook" totally reminded me of Willy Wonka, and I just had to share that.

Peace

jrc4558

Quote from: Doug HJust a side editorial comment: I wish there was as much energy expended searching for knowledge as there was searching for schematics on here. Now that Jay's challenge has slipped into the nether world and the excitement of the piggybacking has died down, it looks like the interest is going back to cloning again. Ho-hum... Oh well, I guess I'm just missing the old days...

(This was intended as a general comment on the forum, not a response to your post, Constantin. Just trying to shed a little light on what may be in your wah and use that as a seque to get on my soapbox. :D )

Doug

Respectful Doug,

I am sorry for giving and impression of a cat about to be killed by own curiosity, but still...

"All men by nature desire to know..." [Aristotle, Metaphysics book I], and it's hard to fight this terrible urge...

I am still learning, moved into the area of tube amplifiers and successfully modded my old Fender as well as build two push pull amps for my home stereo (from scratch, no schematic). I hope this cleares me from not-so-positive impression.

With Way Huge it's just a matter of curiosity. :)  And since I have no electronic background whatsoever I agree to the fate of a child that wonders into the movie theatre and starts asking questions about what has been on screen for the previous half hour (pardon the metaphor). :oops:

Bluesgeetar

Let me ask this in my terms that a good old boy like myself can understand.  How many changes would I have to make to a schematic I "found" of say some famous super expensive pedal to be able to freely throw it out on the web? Just change a resistor? A cap?  I mean isn't that what WH and basically everyone else has done?  They all got there ideas from some other circuit they have seen somewhere else.  I mean none of us were born knowing how to build effects and audio circuits.  We "all" take someone else's idea and improve on it or change to it to sound better with our particular setup or a friends.  Say fir instance I have a dubbie gangle popper made and designed by Jimmy Pimplepeg.  Ok this pedal is intellectual property of ol Jimbo etc. etc..  It sounds awsome with my best buds Marshall amp but it is seriously lacking in it's performance with my Twin Reverb.  Say I know a little something bout pedals and I find that if I change the output cap value and put a trim pot or two in the place of some of the resistors to fine tune to your particular amp then it sounds awsome with my Twin reverb.  Are you saying I can't post a schematic and instructions of what I've come up with to share with the rest of the Twin Reverb community?   :twisted:

Mr.Huge

Quote from: afranks

Thanks Jeorge...  I'm curious...  Are you still at Line6?  If so, what are you working on there?  

-alan

Yes, I'm still at Line 6 and if I told you what I was working on I'd have to kill you. Sorry... Top Secret. I will be haunting the halls at NAMM this week.

And no it's not a 4049.
-Huge
BEN:   Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

LUKE:   But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters...

VADER:   I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Mr.Huge

Quote from: BluesgeetarHow many changes would I have to make to a schematic I "found" of say some famous super expensive pedal to be able to freely throw it out on the web? Just change a resistor? A cap?  I mean isn't that what WH and basically everyone else has done?  They all got there ideas from some other circuit they have seen somewhere else.  :twisted:

Okay, the Pickle circuit is not patented. So, drawing your own schematic and posting it for free is perfectly legal. This is true with any circuit patented or not, as long as you do not receive money or financial gain from doing so.

However, a US trademark protects the Way Huge brand name and all individual pedal names encompassed under it. Meaning you can’t use the names or anything that is reasonably similar to them on any equipment within the music industry.

-Huge
BEN:   Mos Eisley Spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Bluesgeetar

Thank you very much for the info Mr. Huge.  I'll will obey the route you have advised.  I just wanted to share great circuits whether they are mine or not, not make profit.  So I can throw any effect circuit on the web from any pedal as long as I draw it and state something like, "Hey guys here is a cool effect circuit!  Try it!"  And that's it.  Am I right so far?  I just can't tell where the circuit came from or what it is of if it is a ZVEX or WH pedal or whatever and I can't claim it as my own original pedal design.  

That seems kind of cold!  I mean just consider this scenario.  I draw out a schem of a WH pedal I have.  I post it on the web freely.  All I say is, "Hey guys here is a cool effect circuit!  Try it!"  and everyone loves the holy shit out of the pedal and it is the new rave and talk on the DIY forums.  Wouldn't you want everyone to know that the schem I drew is of one of your designs and not some strange unknown schematic that just showed up on the web.  I mean I'm just talking about giving you credit for your ingenious design not trademark violation.

Boofhead

Jeorge, thank's for being realistic and honest about this issue- there should be more of it.  Thanks for sharing those prized schematics too.....

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Judging from his posts, Mr Huge is a scholar, a gentleman, and a realist. That's not a bad triple...

RDV

We should ask him about that "Camel Toe" that showed up on eBay a couple of months ago. Prototype? Production? Recent?

Regards

RDV

MarkB

Jeorge is a good guy in my book...

the aforementioned Jet Phaser schem was for me initially (I had a dead one, which works wonderfully now - thanks Jeorge!!) and he bailed me out in a big way.. in the true spirit of the net community.

The Way Huge stuff was great because it was tweaked right, and built REALLY well - but now it's gone..   which is a shame.. but hey - you can't get a Rangemaster anymore either..  

love them as rare and vintage, remember it fondly, and lets get to building the next great pedal.

Go forth and DIY, gentlemen!
"-)

Mr.Huge

Quote from: RDVWe should ask him about that "Camel Toe" that showed up on eBay a couple of months ago. Prototype? Production? Recent?RDV

The Camel Toe was the very short-lived production version of the Dual Overdrive. I think we made 25 Camel Toe and about 8 or 9 custom hand painted Dual Overdrives.
What they were… a Green Rhino and a Red Llama in one box.
I saw that CT on Ebay… $1K! That’s some bread for a pedal. I sold about 10 of the CT’s to Make’n Music in Chicago.
-Huge

Mr.Huge

Quote from: Bluesgeetar
That seems kind of cold!  I mean just consider this scenario.  I draw out a schem of a WH pedal I have.  I post it on the web freely.  All I say is, "Hey guys here is a cool effect circuit!  Try it!"  and everyone loves the holy shit out of the pedal and it is the new rave and talk on the DIY forums.  Wouldn't you want everyone to know that the schem I drew is of one of your designs and not some strange unknown schematic that just showed up on the web.  I mean I'm just talking about giving you credit for your ingenious design not trademark violation.

Here’s an example: http://www.wayhuge.com/zzz_dirtbox.pdf
-Huge

Ansil

Quote from: RDVHa!! So who on this panel is gonna fork over the Mega$$$$ to those pedal weasels over on eBay(ne-of-my existance) for a pickle so my ass can have a schematic?

F - it

RDV

as i said before i will throw in, if anyone else will.

RDV

Quote from: Mr.Huge
Here’s an example: http://www.wayhuge.com/zzz_dirtbox.pdf
-Huge
Ibanez OD-II

Thanks Mr. Huge

RDV

jsleep

Jeorge said:

QuoteThe Internet didn’t have all these helpful sites on pedal building and schematics when I started. I learned the old fashioned way. I reverse engineered pedals, I became friends with repair guys and techs that built pedals for large companies, and I read a lot of books!

I've realized for a while now, that my site has really done a disservice to the DIY community in this respect.  My good intentions to share the  layouts I drew up have led to some laziness in the community.  Maybe even bringing in people that should never have been here, "mud wrestling a pig" so to speak.  But, there is some good to be gotten for those who really are into DIY, cloning is not always evil.  Shoot, I think even Doug has shown some interest in "production models" of some sort in the past...no?  But I do understand Doug's point, the forum is always a lot more fun when there is lively discussion about building something different or what tweaks to do.

Oh well, life goes on.

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

Zero the hero

I'm glad to say that I completely disagree with you, JD!
Your site, as well as Tonepad, AMZ, Geofex and many other, didn't drew laziness among us.
Due to these sites, I discovered again my interest in electronics, so I took back again a hot iron in my hand.
About 6 months ago, I've found this community, so I begun to build stompboxes taken from the sites listed before. IT was a very passive behavior, I know: I just build and don't think.
Then I got a little more curious, so I've learned how to read carefully schmatic, and I've learned how to understend how all components really work in a circuit.
But I soon realized that it was not enough for me, so I've learned how to draw PCB from schematic. The first PCB I've drawn was the Slow Gear (not simple one!!!) and I was really happy when I saw it working.

I believe that I've got a log way to run. Everyone hear are making small steps ahead, which, soon or later, will give small contributes to our community.
I believe that I'm not ready for making something new. I'm still learning how things work, like many of us, I presume.
And all started from site like yours, JD, FP, and all of you!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: jsleep
I've realized for a while now, that my site has really done a disservice to the DIY community in this respect.  JD

I can't agree with that!
As a very small scale manufacturer I meet a lot of musicians who once tried to DIY & gave up. The reason often is, that they were working from circuits (often ones published in 'major' magazines and even books) that had errors. Nothing destroys the confidence of a beginner faster. Thanks to your site, beginners now can have confidence that at least the circuit is right! And thanks to this board, they can get useful assistance. As for laziness... if people want a clone, well, no matter how energetic they are, that is all they will build! If people are wanting to push the envelope, the first thing they must do as a beginner is to get some easy clones going & then they can start developing their own ideas. JD, you've helped me, and you've helped hundreds on the board!

Bill_F

JD, I have to say that I disagree with you too. Your site got me interested in this. Tonepad furthered my interest. Through this paint by number approach I have been encouraged to learn more about electronics, why things work like they do.
I think its similar to the way I learned how to play guitar. At first I just imitated others. I learned thier licks, remember the tapes "Star Licks". Every lead I played was nothing more than a compilation of other peoples stuff. but eventually I began to develop my own style. I haven't reached that stage yet in pedal building. I'm not yet at the point of designing my own pedal. But I am at the point of being able to see a schematic and do my own PCB layout. I am at the point of figuring out my own mods (to the easier things). So I'm growing and it was through your site that I got started. In otherwords, I think sites like yours are absolutely essential. You probably don't have any idea how much it means to so many of us. So thank you for all your hard work.

Also, thank you Aron for this site that gives us a place to ask all those questions that come up when we begin building. I'll never forget my first pedal that I built from JD's site. The Boutique Fuzz Face, what a nightmare! A million questions that were all answered so patiently and thoroughly. Thanks RG, Mark Hammer, Rob Strand (wherever you are) and all the others who helped. Now I've progressed, my latest pedals have been the EZ Vibe, A small clone, a small stone and an MXR envelope filter. All jam packed with mods! :D

Sorry for the rambling, but every once in awhile it is necessary to say thanks.

Bill