Author Topic: Electra Problems/Newbie  (Read 5420 times)

skeeter

Electra Problems/Newbie
« on: January 16, 2004, 10:23:52 AM »
Continued from "Build your own stompbox" forum

Someones closer! :shock:

I actually think I built this right the first time on PCB but I finally realized a bad guitar cable was the problem!!!  :evil:

Here's the deal now:

I got my P-bass plugged up to the pedal and I'm getting a signal!
I can here the bass but no distortion, The volume pot and the on/off switch works...when I switch off there's no sound at all?

Shouldn't it be that you can already here the instrument with it off... and when you switch it on...distortion?

I think I like the PCB better it seamed easier, this perfboard is one heck of a rig-job.

Anyway, I'm still trying and the wife is still snickering at me :roll:

Thanks for all of the help before, I really appreciate it! Ain't giving up! :twisted:

Chris R

Electra Problems/Newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2004, 10:49:38 AM »
Make sure your switch is wired like...

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/DPDT.gif

I think the electra layout had the switch wired wrong.. thats what i had wrong on mine when i started ;p

Chris

skeeter

Ya- Friggin'-Hoo!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 12:40:45 AM »
:lol:  :D  Got it!!!

Chris, thanks for the switch info but my problem the whole time was the wiring of the input/output jacks!!!

I was mistaking the ground for the input to the circuit!

The thing works! Hahahaa my first build!

Let the neighbors and wife beware FUZZ DADDY'S in town! :twisted:

Thanks for all the help and suggestions...I'm already looking for another build! :D

aron

Electra Problems/Newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 01:56:09 AM »
It's a BLAST when you get it "right"!!!!!!

I was ready to give up with my Electra as well. I made a simple wiring mistake and was ready to give up.

When it worked.... YEAH! :twisted:

sonicparke

Electra Problems/Newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2004, 02:50:54 AM »
Where was this forum 3 and a half years ago when I tried to build my Electra?  I ended up with this monstrosity!!!   :lol:

So I put it away and am just now getting interested in trying again.  This time though I'm going to learn how to solder first!  :roll:

And I might just get a breadboard so I can mess with some things to see what parts actually do what.  Anyway...once I get going again I'll be asking a lot of questions so thanks for everybody being here and willing to help.

aron

Electra Problems/Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2004, 02:53:56 AM »
Go for it and your board doesn't look bad at all.

BTW: I still have my Electra - housed in a Radio Shack plastic box.

Chris R

Electra Problems/Newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2004, 08:37:59 AM »
it would probably be much easier to solder if you drilled holes where the components go... and put the components on the non-copper side.

C

sonicparke

Electra Problems/Newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2004, 10:57:41 AM »
I did drill holes but there's so much solder on the board you can't seem them.   :D

I didn't realize/know/think about putting the components on the non copper side until I got to looking at other pedals way after I did this one.  But yes...that would be much easier.  :D

Chris R

Electra Problems/Newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2004, 11:18:50 AM »
ah.. sorry at first glance it looked like you just layed the component on the trace.. and tried to solder it on there.

C

aron

Electra Problems/Newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2004, 02:15:33 PM »
Actually putting the components on the copper side has been done before although I agree, it's probably easier the "standard way".

Whatever works.