Author Topic: Biased Improperly Questions?  (Read 3755 times)

skeeter

Biased Improperly Questions?
« on: January 17, 2004, 12:11:25 PM »
Now that I got my Electra distortion working...I have to hit the strings pretty hard to get the effect to kick in.

I was reading the DIY FAQ and found the answer...sort of

Here's my question:

When you say the base is "too close" to the emitter, etc.
do you mean distance in voltage or the actual/physical distance, if the base lead was 1/2" away from the emitter lead...does that make sense?

Also, what meter should I use? Standard voltage meter? I'm going to Radio Shack today any "must have" things I should get?

Sorry for all of the questions :oops: , just want to learn it all, Thanks!!!

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 01:26:23 PM »
Get a digital multi meter and make sure it can measure at least voltage, resistance and current. Hfe and capacitance is handy ;) But it gets expensive quick.

When you say the base of a transistor is too close to the emitter you're talking about voltage, for instance in a PNP tranny the base should always be about .6 volts above the emitter. You can put the physical leads anywhere you like! As long as they don't connect it's O.K.
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

aron

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 01:46:39 AM »
Choose a digital multimeter with hFE transistor measurement and auto pinout identification of transistors if possible.

In any case, even a cheaper digital multimeter will work fine.

One feature I really like is auto-ranging.

This means you set it to DC  or ohms and you don't have to choose a range or anything. You simply measure and the meter will "auto" range for you.

Very handy!