Author Topic: What will be the next beginner build?  (Read 14130 times)

smoguzbenjamin

What will be the next beginner build?
« on: January 18, 2004, 05:04:01 AM »
Hey guys!

There seem to have been numerous topics about a next build but nothing really came out of it. I think it's time to get the new beginner project underway :) So what do you guys want to make? Distortion or tremolo or whatever. Maybe something else. Comments greatly appreciated.

Aron if you don't have time to do the next build or you don't fancy the work, I'll be happy to produce the schematic/photoessay etc like you did with the NPN boost. Let me know ;)

hendrixrules

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 07:10:01 AM »
how about a fuzz stomp using a DPDT stomp switch? :)

blabj

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 08:28:04 AM »
how about something that makes it so that we dont actually have to touch the guitar to make kickass tunes and rock songs...... nah! :lol: well, why dont you put your irons down and get some practise in, because its allright having all this gear, but you have to be able to play aswell!!! :D.
just a thought :)
callum
ps: how about a chourus or flanger ( if these are too hard then...) or a tremolo like you said

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 09:11:26 AM »
Well chorus and flanger are time-based effects so I think that would be an advanced build ;)

Tremolo is good though. Anyone else?

Marcos - Munky

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2004, 10:43:35 AM »
Chorus and Flanger are a little "impossible" to build for begginers and/or in a perfboard. Check Tonepad.com, you will find the Ibanez Flanger and the Small Clone chorus. I suggest a tremolo, a distortion (the EH Muff Fuzz is simple and sounds great) or maybe a envelope filter.

Triffid

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 11:49:27 AM »
I Chorus and Flanger are too advanced... I suppose a Reverb box would be too difficult as well (since it is time based?)

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004, 12:12:32 PM »
Time based reverb stinks seriously. So the only good analog reverb that isn't super complicated involves a reverb tank, which involves impedance matching, and they aren't cheap or easy to get. The circuitry however is quite simple :)

Envelope filter's a good one :) But then you're prone to run into 'undersignalitis' where the envelope filter doesn't do diddly because of lack of gain. But I think EF is a great idea. I'll be building one soon anyway, so why not make a photoessay in the process?

Lanky

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2004, 05:07:58 PM »
Distortion would be nice :-).

aron

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2004, 01:37:45 AM »
I'm going to make a distortion - I'm working on it now. I'm trying to decide between op amp or discrete.

I have an op amp design ready, but I was trying to do a discrete - I have it on the breadboard right now.

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 10:20:06 AM »
Is this going to be a new design, or one of the good old ultra-high gain killer ckts? :twisted:

blabj

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004, 02:26:13 PM »
yeah, i think that a high gain circuit would kickass! ( pardon my french :lol:) shame about the chorus tho :( ( maybe next time :D)
callum

aron

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004, 02:28:29 PM »
hehehehe.

You guys want high gain or "controlled gain"?

RJ

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2004, 06:08:12 PM »
Hi Aron!

I'd like to cast my vote for 'ultra high gain', please :D  And thanks for setting up another project!

-Ryan

tonepoet

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2004, 10:32:46 PM »
I opt for high gain. I remember a sound clip (I think) of Aron playing some tune (maybe you were playing keyboard, don't remember) and the person playing guitar had a nice fat tone, if I remember right. It was some sort of original fusion tune. Or maybe an A/B Box or loop box or A/B with tuner out or whatever. Another good build might be the EA Tremelo, it looks pretty easy. Time based effects look difficult.

Kleber AG

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2004, 10:41:39 PM »
Ultra Super Scaring High Gain!!!!!  :shock:  Nope!  :)

I vote for a more refined controled high gain, yet good and perfect for metal...

I think people should try super high gain in a gig (live situation), massive amounts of volume etc, that's just impossible to use such a super high gain pedals at that levels of volume AND excitement  :)  IMO

Regards
Kleber AG

GuitarLord5000

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2004, 10:57:50 PM »
Well, I've just completed the NPN Boost project.  It worked right out of the gate!  All thats left is the LED and putting it all together in a pedal.  Just wanted to say thanks for the easy pictorials and such that made it  possible for a novice like myself to put together such a great device.  When you turn the volume knob all the way up, it distorts quite nicely.

If I had the choice of the next project, I'd like to see a nice distortion pedal.  I dont know what the difference is between op amp and discreet, but I'd like to see one that can crank out some heavy gain, but can be pulled back to a nice mellow overdrive sound with a distrotion knob.

I lucked out in finding this site.  Hopefully I can follow the next project more closely, instead of catching just the end, and actually learn how to follow the schematic, rather than trusting on the pictorials to get me through.  Thanx again, and keep 'em coming!

By the way......what's a breadboard?

aron

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2004, 03:55:50 AM »
Hey,

THANKS for the post and congratulations!!!!!  8)

A breadboard is a "board" is holes in it. You stick components in and there are traces underneath which connect the components together based on what row you have them plugged into.

In other words, a quick way to test a circuit without soldering.

Op amp, means that it uses an IC and discrete means all transistors instead of ICs.

I'm glad you got it working! Fantastic!!!!

BTW: how did you find this forum?

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2004, 11:13:34 AM »
Hmmm. What about switchable ultra-high screaming gain? Sortof like a Lo/High gain switch? That would be cool :)

aron

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2004, 02:28:54 AM »
OK, I think I have something.  8)

charloman

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2004, 10:17:22 AM »
what is it??? what is it???  :P