Author Topic: What will be the next beginner build?  (Read 14120 times)

aron

What will be the next beginner build?
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2004, 03:00:33 PM »
Quote from: charloman
what is it??? what is it???  :P

A Shaka pedal!

csj

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2004, 03:21:02 PM »
del

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2004, 04:28:40 PM »
:mrgreen: yessss :twisted:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Triffid

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2004, 07:18:19 PM »
And for us newbies.... what exactly does it do?

aron

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2004, 04:59:35 AM »
Is a distortion box, but I will list all the different ways you can mod it.

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2004, 08:48:39 AM »
It's the Aron Nelson distortion box!

GuitarLord5000

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2004, 09:09:28 PM »
Sweet!  I found this site because I read a Guitar magazine with a really easy pedal build schematic.  It was pretty much just a 2p6t switch with resistors tied in to it to load your guitar's pickups.  Kinda like making a low impendance input when you record directly.  I've been interested in pedal building for a long time, but didnt (and still dont) have the knowledge to build them myself.  So, I was getting ready to do some research online before building the pedal and found this site.  I figured it'd have some good information on it, so I started digging.  The really fantastic thing is that the two pedals I most wanted to build were a boost pedal and distortion pedal!  I just knocked one off the list, and I'm ready to do the next one!  

Just a quick question...I recently scavenged parts from two old cordless phones and was wondering how to find the value for those green film caps?  Also, I've got a lot of transistors from the phones, but have no idea what type they are.  Anyone know where i could find this out from?
Life is like a box of chocolates.  You give it to your girlfriend and she eats up the best pieces and throws the rest away.

PB Wilson

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2004, 11:11:17 PM »
I had heard about the various Shaka projects and have looked at the schems online. I am very excited to get some first-hand info on the Shaka series and have some guidance with the various mods.

By the way, I've finished the perf-board for the Double D using the layout at Runoffgroove, (Thanks guys!) but have yet to hook up the rest of the pedal (maybe this weekend). How does the Shaka compare with the high-gain "Bounce" side of the Double D?

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2004, 05:17:48 AM »
The green film caps have 3 numbers on the side probably. like resistors, numbers 1 and 2 are the first two digits, 3 is the multiplier. That then gives you the value in picofarads, so 104 would be 10^4 = 100000 pF or 0.1uF.

That make sense?

GuitarLord5000

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2004, 03:46:07 PM »
Thanx! Makes sense to me......So you'd simply convert pf to uf by moving your decimal point six places to the left?  Who ever said those math classes would never come in handy!
Life is like a box of chocolates.  You give it to your girlfriend and she eats up the best pieces and throws the rest away.

smoguzbenjamin

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2004, 04:25:14 PM »
Well,

milli (m): 10^-3
micro (u): 10^-6
nano (n): 10^-9
pico (p): 10^-12

So picofarads to microfarads would be 6 decimal places to the left ;)

GuitarLord5000

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2004, 03:03:30 PM »
Would you happen to have a sound clip of the Shaka box?  I listened to a few clips from runoffgroove and really like the sound of the Big Daddy and was kinda wondering how they compare.

aron

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2004, 02:36:13 AM »
There were many samples of the Shaka - but there are many versions of the Shaka.

This version that I will show is a new version never shown before.

As soon as I finish it, I will make a sample.