Author Topic: witch switch?  (Read 6049 times)

hendrixrules

witch switch?
« on: January 18, 2004, 07:19:44 AM »
is there such thing as an SPDT stomp switch :?:
thanks to anyone who replies.
"It was working a minute ago!"

blabj

witch switch?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 08:09:10 AM »
yes there is a spdt switch. there not that useful for using as a bypass, if thats what you were thinking about them, but there are alot of uses for them.
callum
ps: on your tag it says hendrix didnt use effects, well you may want to rethink that one  :lol:

smoguzbenjamin

witch switch?
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 09:12:31 AM »
callum it also says "then again I'm not hendrix" ;)

Sure there is a SPST stompswitch. I don't see the use of it though...
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

aron

witch switch?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 01:42:03 AM »
Yes, lots of older pedals used a SPDT switch for bypass.

This is how it used to work:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/articles/elbypass.html

Triffid

witch switch?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »
I am pretty new to this stuff so this may be completly crazy but... can't your wire an spdt switch like this to get true bypass?

[/img]

aron

witch switch?
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2004, 02:27:33 PM »
You can, but the impedance of most circuits is lower at the output vs. at the input (not for all, but most).

In addition, it will change based on the output volume pot causing even more problems than if you had wired like the "old way".

Triffid

witch switch?
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2004, 02:39:26 PM »
So, are you saying that even though it looks like the signal is bypassing the fx circuit... the sound is effected since it is connected at the "output" location?

aron

witch switch?
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2004, 04:16:27 PM »
Yes. Think about it, at the output of the effect is a pot and that value can change depending on the setting of the pot value.

It could be any value from a very low value (thus complete loading down your bypassed signal), to whatever value the pot might be.

At least if you bypass from the front of the effect, there's usually an input resistor to ground that sets the impedance of the circuit and it is constant.

This "loading down" is the whole reason why people started doing true bypass.

smoguzbenjamin

witch switch?
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 11:17:38 AM »
I haven't quite caught on on the "loading down/up" thing. What does it mean, like shunting signal to ground? :?
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

aron

witch switch?
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 01:36:50 AM »
Exactly. The worst part is that if it's a volume pot, that value could be anything from close to zero to the max value of the pot. This would make things unpredictable.

Triffid

witch switch?
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 09:12:35 AM »
Now, does it matter if the fx curcuit had power or not?  Would the sound still be affected?

aron

witch switch?
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 03:01:16 PM »
Yes it would, off or not. It's a passive component hanging off the signal; i.e. a resistor.