jimmy page distortion

Started by suspended, January 20, 2004, 05:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearbuilder

Hi gdmart

gdmart wrote:
What can be done to this pedal to get back a good tone.Im a newbe so please be specific thanks
Try to find   the schematic and take voltages on transistors and mail me all that   ,i'll help you.
Bruno

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
  Trying to nail down someone's  "sound" is not going to happen if you are using studio recordings as a point of reference.  Every song has different guitars, different amps, different fuzz boxes, different studios, different mics, different mic  placement.....etc.....
That's why I don't even bother!  What I do know is what was used at live gigs.  All the live shows that I was at [either playing or back stage]  Page used his old Telecaster into the MK II and then into various amps  [sometimes solid-state Rickenbacher Transonics!!].   Oops, also the Echoplex.  About  1 1/2 years later he had switched to the Les Paul guitar  and Marshall amps....a whole different set up.....and he STILL sounded like Jimmy Page!   [Again, I  only mean the live show.]
 Yeah, Mayer has released a JP pedal....but then again, you know what they said about the Yardbox!!
Brian.

Gearbuilder

Ok Ok Brian
Sorry i am  sound engineer and i know all that you claim.I play guitar since i was 16 (i've got 40 now)At each time is the same song;and why trying to have the same sound that this one or this other?In this case i think that you can close forums now .It's because people want to have the sound of that it's interresting to play with
I want to say that ibecause in this case ,many people must stop to play guitar!
Okay we  know  all of that and i'm agree with you .But in this topic ,peoples want to  have th Jimmy Page style sound,i think that it's easiest to approach this sound  with a TB and a Marshall and yes, a Télécaster'Never forget than he'd  played with Les Paul too!!)than with a dobro in a peavey!Yes you'll ever sound YOURSELF and Jimmy Page like himself!Even if you take the same material than him same amps ,same guitars,same studio ,mikes and everything the same if you're not Jimmy Page you'll never done what he has done I'm sure too .Perhaps you know that but i think that people here doesn't want to do Led zep 1 or 2 album again it's just for fun .
Peace ,and compassion ;we are the world,we are the childrens....
Regards
Bruno

brian wenz

Hello Hello Gearbuilder--
    I don't think you are understanding my posts.  
What I said is if anybody wants to sound like Page from the Yardbirds to early Zep [when all he used was a Fender Telecaster] then the MK II fuzz is it.   As far as amps go, he used all kinds up until he switched to the Les Paul guitar, and then it was all Marshall for the live stuff.
I am not trying to argue, I'm just trying to be clear about what gear was used at different points in time so that people can be aware of what to build [if that's what they want to do].
If this is not clear to everybody else then please, let me know!
Brian.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
   Just remembered something!   Somebody mentioned using a Treble Booster for some of Pages studio sounds........well, try the Piggyback TB that Will came up with.   I think this is a real good silicon pedal....it sounds GREAT when played through a distorted amp.
Brian.

Gearbuilder

Hi,

Yes  i understand what you mean and you're very clear,but we are saying the same things about that but i'm worst than you about gear and there's a lot of "sound like X " pedals on the market now ,you're right about that .Only the same gear may help you to sound like ,but it's a newbe question here and i think it's difficult  for them to afford a good MKII or OC76 too.Maybe just sounding like JP is fine for them ,of all manneer
it's not possible to clone JP!It's because of that we could help them to modify these commercial TB clones.
Regards
Bruno