Author Topic: distortion  (Read 4950 times)

hendrixrules

distortion
« on: January 24, 2004, 06:21:44 AM »
ive designed an overdrive pedal using Gus's NPN boost is the same but it has two transistors and its bypassed with a DPDT it. I also want to put an LED in the circuit but where should i put it and which way around does it need to go. I do not have a bradboard so i need to know if it will distort. im a first timer so please help. a big thanks to anyone wo does :(
"It was working a minute ago!"

smoguzbenjamin

distortion
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 07:22:05 AM »
Well putting 2 NPN boosts in series will be a fuzz, the boost itself fuzzes a bit when it's turned all the way up. to use a DPDT switch and a LED use a millenium bypass at www.geofex.com, all the info is there. The first boost pot would be "fuzz" and the second boost pot would be 'volume'. Add a tone control to taste ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

smoguzbenjamin

distortion
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 07:23:45 AM »
Plus, get yourself a breadboard! It's a great investment, and allows you to tweak a circuit before you solder it to a board.

hendrixrules

distortion
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 07:41:19 AM »
would i have to use a millenium bypass if i didnt have an LED
(im not really sure what a millenium bypass is :?  :oops: )
"It was working a minute ago!"

smoguzbenjamin

distortion
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 10:40:07 AM »
A millenium bypass is a small board which enables you to use true bypass with a DPDT and a LED.

You could of course not have a LED and just have a DPDT on/bypass switch. Give me a sec and I'll look up the millenium article.

smoguzbenjamin

distortion
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2004, 10:42:19 AM »
Here's all the info on the millenium you need: http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/Millenium/millen.htm

aron

Re: distortion
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2004, 03:34:42 PM »
Quote from: hendrixrules
ive designed an overdrive pedal using Gus's NPN boost is the same but it has two transistors and its bypassed with a DPDT it. I also want to put an LED in the circuit but where should i put it and which way around does it need to go. I do not have a bradboard so i need to know if it will distort. im a first timer so please help. a big thanks to anyone wo does :(

Please check out the FAQ forums. They give you links on how to wire your circuit for DPDT as well as how to use an LED.

In addition, the simple mods page talks about cascaded stages and how to control the distortion.