Author Topic: Perfboard question  (Read 3543 times)

meigwil

Perfboard question
« on: January 30, 2004, 07:19:06 AM »
Hi,

Just received CA's EPfM today - excellent! :D

Anyway: is there any difference in using plain perfboard and the copper stripped perfboard? Would it be worth getting this stuff, or should I start with plain and go on to PCBs?

Also I have been trying to fix my broken DOD FX-53 pedal, and I noticed that when I was soldering on the board, it was melting underneath the connection (the plastic was boiling). Therefore is my iron too hot?(It is a bog standard plug in the wall iron, I can't remember the brand, but it is yellow and black). I placed a 13A fuse, as there was none when I got it.

Hwyl,

Mei

smoguzbenjamin

Perfboard question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 11:54:53 AM »
Your soldering iron shouldn't be more than about 30 watts. Check your iron ;)

I like the pad-per-hole perfboard. It is by far the easiest perf to work with :)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Peter Snowberg

Perfboard question
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 06:55:04 AM »
I agree with Ben, pad-per-hole perfboard is about the easiest stuff to use. The perf that has no pads is just too much of a pain for me to even think of using.

If your iron is melting your work then it is too hot. Look for a wattage marking on it. A good size for basic electronics is roughly 25 watts. A few watts more or less is fine. If your iron is just too big and you can't easily get another one, you can cut down the temperature by using a lamp dimmer to adjust things. Just make sure the dimmer can handle more watts than the iron takes.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

smoguzbenjamin

Perfboard question
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 06:56:39 AM »
Ha I can double that. I have blown a few dimmers by putting 80W lightbulbs into 40W sockets :mrgreen:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.