how to make inductors?

Started by arielfx, February 01, 2004, 04:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arielfx

i got the wire and i got the core... now can anyone tell me how to make them?
i mean more technicly than in theory (in what do you dip it, where do you get that stuff, what is the specual wire that you put around it and where do you get that, how strong the tention on the wire should be when i wound the inductor and so on)

Hal

i saw a really good air-core inductor article at a theremin web site...

right here: http://www.oldtemecula.com/theremin/

Im not sure if that helps.  Good Luck!

brett

As long as you you wind the wire around the core, you've covered the critical part of making the inductor.  Tension doesn't really matter, and you don't need to dip it in anything (but if you want to, try some epoxy resin glue, like Araldite, or fibreglassing resin).  They're easy to make, but toroidal inductors are a pain to wind.  If you find an easy way to wind toroids, let me know.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The way to wind a toroid, is with a bobbin, I would guess. By which I mean, a piece of wood thin enough to go thru the hole, with notches on the end, the idea is that you wind the wire around the stick lengthwise, then poke the stick thru the hole repeatedly.
(I havn't done this myself, but I think this is how it would go.)

Manolo Dudes

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)The way to wind a toroid, is with a bobbin, I would guess.

You guess right... at least as a DIY way. That's the way I did it with my Tri-Wah:

I did a small bobbin, small enough to slip into the "doughnut's hole"  :) but I potted it in hot wax. This way it's much more easy to do the winding as it won't unwind accidentally.

You get lots of inductance with toroidal cores. Very few losses so you get a high inductance per turn ratio.
a.k.a. "Calambres" in www.pisotones.com

Johan

borow your wife's/girlfriend's/mother's/sister's sewing machine..it has bobbins for the "underthread"...steal one of those...there is also a mecanism for filling that bobbin with thread, but you use cupperwire instead of thread...you can make a BIG inductor in seconds...put a screw through the hole and pull off wire untill it sounds right....easy...

Johan
DON'T PANIC