OT- Whats the worst effect you ever bought? Play with?

Started by jimbob, February 01, 2004, 09:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadastronaut

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

ayayay!

Ouch, Paul!  ...Then again, I hated my Parker Fly and you love them.  We're just not from the same cloth.   :icon_lol:
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

tubelectron

For me,

A BELCAT chorus : dull and poor sounding - I re-used the enclosure to build my Tubscrimeur...
A SANSAMP 1 (the one with dip switches) : what we would call in French un attrape-nigaud, or un piège à gogo - I traded it for a vintage MORLEY PFA...

But as usual, it's a matter of taste and use !

A+!
I apologize for my approximative english writing and understanding !
http://guilhemamplification.jimdofree.com/

rousejeremy

Worst pedal I ever built had to be the Boss Slow Gear. It never did what I expected it to.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

rosscocean

One of the first pedals I ever bought was a JHS wah pedal, absolutely pants.

The LPB1 I built was also dissapointing, it seemed very muddy.

Ross

Mark Hammer

I know I said earlier in this thread that I never found anything I didn't like, but looking back, I bought an MXR Flanger from someone for $25 around 1983 or so.  This was about 6 years after I had built a PAiA Phlanger, so I knew how to use them.  I liked MXR products and had a 6-band EQ, Noise Gate, and Envelope Filter on my pedalboard (with a Univox Compressor.....Paul), but I couldn't stand that flanger, and couldn't sell it fast enough.

Brian_L

DOD TR3M, followed closely by the RP1.
They both just sound so sterile to me. The distortion on the TR3M was just awful.

The only good thing about the DOD was that it has donated countless parts to diy pedals, there were some good op-amps and transistors in there. It has contributed to a TS clone, a Tremolo pedal, and an SHO clone.
I had it for 15years and never used it live once.

The RP1 was a borrowed pedal, so luckily it didn't cost me anything.

rockhorst

Nucleon FX - PCBs at the core of tone

FlyingZ

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on April 20, 2011, 09:32:19 AM
ok, for the record, i'm almost 49, started on cello when i was 7, migrated to guitar at 11, met the texas tornado around 12 or 13 (he showed me the house of the blues and a pentatonic box) played my first professional gigs at 16 as an upright bassist and have played with and performed with countless peeps over the years since then including members of the blues brothers, the jb's, james cotton, steve miller and way more than i feel comfortable even listing here. (hint: i grew up near the legendary shaboo inn, and used to host one of the best open blues jam things years ago ...them two things led to me meeting a lot of heavy peeps)
my first fuzz was a kay plastic pos in a wah pedal, i've owned everything from ludwig phase II's to fuzzfaces, my least favorite pedals are anything made by dod, digitech, or zoom.
my favs of all time are my boss me5, the phase II, and this here fuzzface i just built.

i have to agree about the zoom 505...what a useless piece of overhyped buzzkill...but STILL more useable than an eh clone theory reissue.
at least the zoom is wedge shaped, so it makes a decent door stop...
Now I may have to give that Phase II a try. Which one is it?

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Brian_L on April 21, 2011, 09:34:45 AM
DOD TR3M, followed closely by the RP1.
They both just sound so sterile to me. The distortion on the TR3M was just awful.

The only good thing about the DOD was that it has donated countless parts to diy pedals, there were some good op-amps and transistors in there. It has contributed to a TS clone, a Tremolo pedal, and an SHO clone.
I had it for 15years and never used it live once.

The RP1 was a borrowed pedal, so luckily it didn't cost me anything.
I bought a used TR3M and ended up giving it to my son's friend when he was 12 and a burgeoning guitar player.  Yep, the distortion on that was quite uninspiring, although for something I bought for $10 or so, I thought the delay section was pretty good.  And for a kid starting out, it was the sort of multi-FX that made sense.

Steben

Quote from: rockhorst on April 21, 2011, 10:03:33 AM
Stock metalzone

crappy one trick junk it is

If you want metal, just run a decent booster into a DS-1  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

Steben

Quote from: deadastronaut on April 20, 2011, 11:44:55 AM
most fuzz pedals really,...nasty..noisey...horrible...(pay £2.000 for a guitar to make it deliberately sound  sh*t) i dont think so.. :icon_rolleyes:

dist+...pointless..pissy n weak..(good name for a band :icon_mrgreen:).. :icon_rolleyes:

boss sd1..as above... ::)

My 50 cents.
some fuzz is to be used for the crap (old stuff like maestro, fuzzrite,...) some fuzz (the faces) only really come alive when pushing a following soft drive.
And nearly all fuzz/drive/distortion stompboxes should be controlled with guitar volume.

For myself, at last, a bad box is a box that does nothing and simply spills current.
All the rest is modable :D
  • SUPPORTER

thedefog

Boss PH-2 is up there, along with the DS-1. Still don't know how I came to own both of those. I must have had my earplugs in at the store.

MoltenVoltage

no contest - Grunge Pedal

took it back the next day
MoltenVoltage.com for PedalSync audio control chips - make programmable and MIDI-controlled analog pedals!

Steben

Quote from: thedefog on April 21, 2011, 12:34:33 PM
Boss PH-2 is up there, along with the DS-1. Still don't know how I came to own both of those. I must have had my earplugs in at the store.

Nirvana days? :D
  • SUPPORTER

ayayay!

Quote from: Steben on April 22, 2011, 08:57:52 AM
Quote from: thedefog on April 21, 2011, 12:34:33 PM

Nirvana days? :D

HAHA!  I was thinking the exact same thing.  :)  

I'll also add the original Whammy.  Noisy-humming-crap-tracking-prone-to-loosening-all-the-time-volume-dropping-tone-coloring-sumbitch.  BUT, I also bought it for $80 and resold it for... multiple times that.  Made for a great Christmas for the kids that year.   ;D
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

DougH

Walco Chord and Note Sustainer- without a doubt. Nothing and I mean nothing comes close to the hideousness of it. It's so bad, it's good! It made me laugh every time I used it.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

~arph

Hides-His-Eyes

Quote from: ~arph on April 22, 2011, 10:56:25 AM
Ah, the digitech space station comes to mind

Another one that's highly sought now.

Gordo

Quote from: MoltenVoltage on April 22, 2011, 02:10:16 AM
no contest - Grunge Pedal

took it back the next day

Oh good, I don't feel so bad.  I modded it to bring the gain way down and it's actually pretty useable now.  Pretty extreme EQ, like if you're off by a few millimeters it might set fire to your pants.
Bust the busters
Screw the feeders
Make the healers feel the way I feel...