OT Anyone still listen to actual records (vinyl)?

Started by Alex C, February 04, 2004, 05:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hilbi

I do listen to vinyl a lot, I bought a nice Thorens turntable a year ago and since then i keep buying more vinyl, you can get them cheap on the second hand market.

But I like cd's as well, and even better SACD!!!
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

Rob Strand

Hardly listen them anymore despite a large collection (both mine and my parents) and good equipment, mainly because I have most of it on CD now.

Some cool not so well know ones were the early Chet Atkins stuff, like Going Home, and Henry Mancini's Combo!, The Commodores Machine Gun, The Brother's Johnson, Crossfire - many more.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Wild Zebra

Love my vinyl, got my dad's Technic's he got when he was in Vietnam,
My room mate bequithed about 3000 45's.  They sound like a dream
though my Sansui's.

Just rocked out to Beefheart for a couple of hours lastnight
MOONLIGHT ON VERMONT!!

"your stripes are killer bro"
"your stripes are killer bro"

Paul Marossy

QuoteAll my Kraftwerk, King Crimson, Yes, Deep Purple, ELO, Tangerine Dream, Jethro Tull and all that stuff on vinyl.

Yep, I'll never forget the first time I heard Kraftwerk's "Autobahn" album. And "Radioactivity" is just a classic. Those guys were way ahead of their time! I also listened to Nektar ("Recycled" is my fav), Tangerine Dream, Klaus Shultz (really like "Body Love"), Ashra ("Blackouts" is great), Deep Purple, Focus ("Ship of Memories" is my fav) and a bunch of other stuff that most people never even heard of.  Most of these things will never make it to CD... 8)

onboard

I would much rather listen to "The low spark of high heeled boys" on vinyl anyday, not to mention the jacket is cut out on the edges of that cool 3-D cube 8)
-Ryan
"Bound to cover just a little more ground..."

GFR

I prefer CD's - especially for classical guitar, where you have lots of dynamics and the noise on quiet passages can be very annoying. I use headphones a lot of the time.

But I have a large collection of vinyls and I listen to them all the time.

[rant]

What really p*ss me is when record labels release a dozen compilations (all very similar) of the same artist but refuse to reissue the original albums in CD. It is very common here in Brazil for an artist to have more compilations in CD than original albums. Ridiculous.

Oh, yeah, they say "there's no market" for the original albums.

[/rant] :evil:

If you're into transferring vinyl to CD, here's how I do it:

I hook the record player into a DIY preamp with a FLAT gain of ~40dB. Yeah, I don't use the phono eq. Then from the preamp into the soundcard, record @ 24bits 48kHz.

The recording without eq sounds, of course, all wrong, but I've found out that it makes it a lot easier for denoising and click & crackle removing software to do their job BEFORE the eq. After denoising, declicking/decrackling (and sometimes dehissing), then I run the phono eq. Then, as the treble is attenuated in the phono eq, the artifacts of the denoising, etc.  become much less noticeable. The results are much better than when I used a preamp with phone eq before digitizing.

If the LP is in very good condition, there's no ned to mess with denoising, I just record it and apply the phono eq.

It's a good idea to keep a raw, unprocessed copy, in case you decide to try different denoising any time in the future.

BTW for declicking try "clickfix" for cooledit/audition. It's good, cheap and very fast.

jmusser

Yeah, I still do do. I still have some albums from back in the 70s that I bought as a teenager. Used to spend my allowance on Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Alice Cooper (the original Marilyn Manson),CCR, Doobie Brothers, among others of the period. Some of the Grand Funk Railroad, I actually wore completely out. I guess there was just to much "Foot Stompin' Music" at the time :wink:
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".