Quick - and clean! - bias voltage

Started by R.G., February 05, 2004, 03:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phorhas

well, pardon my ignorance, but, what is the big advantage over the usual resistors and cap divider - if you you low value resistors the it shouldn't introduce an ippadence problem, right?
Electron Pusher

spongebob

Quote from: Phorhaswhat about power supplies of the 18v to 40v?

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tle2426.html
------
1/2 VI Virtual Ground for Analog Systems
Self-Contained 3-terminal TO-226AA Package
Micropower Operation...170 uA Typ, VI = 5 V
Wide VI Range...4 V to 40 V
High Output-Current Capability
Source...20 mA Typ
Sink...20 mA Typ
Excellent Output Regulation
-45 uV Typ at IO = 0 to -10 mA
+15 uV Typ at IO = 0 to +10 mA
Low-Impedance Output...0.0075 Ω Typ
Noise Reduction Pin (D, JG, and P Packages Only)
------

I have used the 3-legged version for my opamp builds, really easy to use, only drawback is that they are a little bit hard to find, but you could always get a few as samples! :wink:

Gilles C

That's what I began to use (R.G. told me about this TLE2426 a couple years ago) in a couple of projects, and I love it.

I only had a few samples I received free from the company so I couldn't use them erywhere, but I'd like to use them all the time.

I'll order some when I go back into full building mode...

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: spongebobhttp://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tle2426.html
------
I have used the 3-legged version for my opamp builds, really easy to use, only drawback is that they are a little bit hard to find

Not that hard, about $1.30 Digikey & Mouser.

Phorhas

buy why use them?

is the 10k/10k & cap network that high impadence?
or does the chip trick (cute...) have a real advantage in another field?
Electron Pusher

R.G.

Quotebuy why use them?
is the 10k/10k & cap network that high impadence?

(1) read
Quotehttp://geofex.com/circuits/Biasnet.htm
for some considerations.
(2) Some circuits - especially high gain things with high impedances and high currents flying around - are quite sensitive to noise and un-shunted signal on their references
(3) the 10k/10k/cap setup is a 5K ohm source at DC, and equal to the cap at higher frequencies. Electro caps are not all that good a low impedance source at higher frequencies. An amplifier after the reference makes for a really low impedance reference that prevents the problems in (2) and does not require a high reference current as noted in (1)
(4) The TLE device in particular and the LM386 device to a lesser extent provide superior performance in a smaller board space than the 10k/10k/cap.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

cpm

uh, old topic here...

i tried this with a 13700, it actually made for more noise than a standard divider buffered with a TL074
does it need some more filtering on the 386, a cap somewhere?

R.G.

Quote from: cpm on May 12, 2011, 07:07:21 PM
uh, old topic here...
Wow. Nearly seven years!

Quotei tried this with a 13700, it actually made for more noise than a standard divider buffered with a TL074
does it need some more filtering on the 386, a cap somewhere?
Details matter. Could have been a noisy 386; did you have the 386 jumpered for lowest gain? That would make it more noisy. TL074 probably IS quieter than an LM386 overall, but can source/sink less current. I'm guessing (because I haven't looked at one of these in a long time) that you could use a single resistor and a cap after the 386 to make it quieter. But check out the other stuff first.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Gurner

Well since it's been resurrected - If you're gonna go with an 8 DIL format just to get half supply (a bit chunky for the intended purpose), I'd be inclined to spend the extra 60p for one of these...

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tle2426.pdf

upto 40v

less quiescent current

less noise

and also availabe as a 3 pin TO-226 package (or DIL-08)

0.0075 Ω output impedance (!!!)

Not a particular high current output drive ability, but for most stompboxes it ought to be fine.

R.G.

My only complaint about the TI rail splitter is that they're harder to find. If you can find them, they're great. I always liked the the TO92 version myself.

The LM386 is useful as a target of opportunity.
R.G.

Gurner

Quote from: R.G. on May 13, 2011, 10:22:04 AM
My only complaint about the TI rail splitter is that they're harder to find. If you can find them, they're great. I always liked the the TO92 version myself.

The LM386 is useful as a target of opportunity.

Agreed....incidentally, most small audio amp ICs, sit at 1/2 VCC & therefore can be brought into play like this , eg TD7052A etc - so if you want  to go this way, have a look in you parts box for any audio amp IC you might have lying spare.