Need some informations about the Shaka HV

Started by Thomas P., August 28, 2003, 09:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas P.

I've built it some days ago and tested it with 9V. It works or kind of...
As the notes say it gives a clean boost with the drive-pot at min., but when I turn it up it begins ti distort heavily. It wouldn't be so bad if the sound is good, but it's a kind of a farting distortion like something is overdriven way too much.
What I did is I set the bias pot in middle position and adjusted the trimmer for 4-5V at drain.
Now is the drainvoltage too low (or high :wink: ) or is this all a matter of running the whole thing at half the voltage it's supposed to run :?

would be great to recieve some thoughts :D
tomboy
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

aron

QuoteAs the notes say it gives a clean boost with the drive-pot at min., but when I turn it up it begins ti distort heavily. It wouldn't be so bad if the sound is good, but it's a kind of a farting distortion like something is overdriven way too much.

That's very strange. It does distort, but it should sound good. What chip did you use? Do you have a 100K pot  in the drive section?

The voltage divider 470K/470K should limit signal to the FET. What type of FET did you use?

And yes, the higher voltage will make it distort much less, however, I have operated my HV with a voltage regulator and even dropped it down to where it turned off and it still sounded good.

Thomas P.

I'm useing a TL072 and used the other half as an output buffer. As Fet I'm useing a J201.
Maybe I should swap them and use new ones.
:?
Regards,
tomboy
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light