Check this speaker out!

Started by smoguzbenjamin, February 16, 2004, 08:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoguzbenjamin

Thanks Darren, that's made a lot clear to me. I

'll have to check out the amp man here but he had a cabinet with 2 celestion 6.5" 50W speakers in it, covered with green leather and it cost a whopping 175 euros! :shock: I don't have that kind of money! I have a 10W practice amp with a 30W rated speaker in it but I want to leave that as it is, so when I finally start building my tube amps I'm gonna need a cab :D

Whatabout old proper HIFI loudspeakers, will they sound good for guitar?

edit: hey javacody where'd you get those jensens from?
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

javacody

http://www.vintagespeaker.com

They take paypal and are about the cheapest place for Jensens I have found. I guess that the Jensen reissues are made in Italy though, so I'm wondering if you could find a European source for these and pay less shipping?

Anyway, I've ordered an 8" and a 10" (both ceramic) from them. They pack the speaker very well (still in its original Jensen factory box) and ship quickly. I get them in usually 3 days. They also are very quick to confirm your order via email.

petemoore

Cone surface area is one subject we've all probably experimented with...bigger cone area means generally higher volume usable tone with more bass.
 Having more than one driver also has tonal impact.
 I think your 4x8'' Jensen choice should sound choice.
 Even in mono, and at the same amplitudes for comparison, multiple speakers make for an 'ambience', certainly the phase is slightly shifted [unless you are standing square in front of them],.
 There's just something different about having 1, 2,  4, or 8 speakers. Even small ones.
 Possible it's the way the air is 'treated' between them, as the waves are broken around the edges of the soundboard, and merge again a short way in front of the cabinet.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

smoguzbenjamin

I was actually thinking of ordering 2 8" speakers (midrangers, right?) and putting them in a diagonal 2x8, and then ordering 2 extra speakers at a later date and making it a 4x8 cab. It'll get me far enough :) Man I wish I had more money :|

javacody

Me to smoguzbenjamin. By the way,what the heck is a smoguz?

Jered

Try the Jensen "Mod" series speakers, they're cheap and sound great. I put a 6" in my Vox BM Special ten watter and the sound improved dramaticaly over the original speaker. I've also bought 8" and 10" for my Fender SF Champ and both sound great clean or when pushed into OD.
  You can get two 10" speakers, shipping included for around $50.00 from this place http://www.tubesandmore.com/new/scripts/silverware.exe/catalog@d:/dfs/elevclients/cemirror/ELEVATOR.FXP?SEARCH_PAGENO=0&SEARCH_KEYWORD=GENERAL%20AND%20ELECTRIC

Designed FOR guitar, no keeping your fingers crossed hoping a used hi-fi speaker might sound good.
   Jered

casey

www.partsexpress.com  

these guys have every speaker and accessory available.

at good prices as well.
Casey Campbell

smoguzbenjamin

'smoguz' doesn't mean anything. It was a band name and I thought it sounded cool so I included it in my webname. I've used that name for about 3 years now and I have so many sign-ons on websites etcetera that I don't want to change it. It's just too much trouble.

$50 for 2 10" speakers AND shipping?! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  SWEEEEEEEET! I'm gonna check that out for sure! Wow I can blow my neighbours' butts off with that! :mrgreen:

smoguzbenjamin

Oh and by the way... There's two power ratings here in the specs, 50W rated power, and 100W musical power. What number should I take into acount if I build/buy an amp head?