Puff caps in Monitor Board?

Started by petemoore59, August 28, 2003, 03:49:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore59

I think I need to get the ~30pf cap inbetween  the comensation pins of the NTE938 [round'dohh' cross ref for the LM308] in the Rat!!!
 I tried a couple caps .0047uf [being the smallest on hand] and this just about ~halved the output...You may be able to tell I'm also fishing for info on the actual function of compensation pins of these type opamps.
 Any way I have no way to measure capacitance, and those teeny [look like a drip], orange [all over] caps that left are on one of my paritally scavenged CRT monitor's PCB....anyone have any idea what voltage rating or range of capacitence they dwell around...very inspecific [?] I know...I'm just looking for whether it's werth it to start pulling and trying them as pf types...like 30pf for the RAT's Comopensated OA.
  I just got back from the NTE store, twisted the legs of the round (938 I ordered] to fit in the square IC pin socket, to go in the socket I laid out for the LM308 [in perf]...whew...'gdsoabdgit..oh gotit' and I figure this is as good a time as any to ask if those little caps have found a use for anything on your bench.[?] Thanks, sorry for the 'funny French'   Pete!!!

Gary

Pete,

Go down to your local Radio Shack and buy one of the little blister packs of ceramic caps.  You'll find an assortment of caps in there, usually with quite a few in the range you need.  I think the pack costs about $2.

WGTP

Are you the Pete that was working on the Muff Fuzz?  If so, how did the resistor across the diodes work?  If not, sorry to bother you. :)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

R.G.

The 30pF compensation cap is there to make the opamp stable - literally keep it from oscillating all on its own. What it actually does is cut the high frequency response in one place instead of several other places, making for a clean drop off of response before the miscelleous other phase-changing imperfections can change negative (and stabilizing) feedback into positive (and de-stabilizing) feedback.

For the 308, 30pF will compensate the opamp so it's stable at unity gain, which is the hardest case. Higher gains require less compensation. Books can be - and have been - written on how compensation works.

0.0047uF is about 100 times too big, and I don't doubt that it cut output dramatically.

Best simple choice for compensation caps is to get the right one. Order yourself some 30pF caps from Mouser, Radio Shack, Farnell, etc.

R.G.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.