Fuzz Face Reverse Audio Pot

Started by Triffid, March 03, 2004, 03:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triffid

I have built two fuzz faces now and I don't know about everyone else, but my fuzz knob always makes the most difference in the highest 10% of the range.  I was just wondering if anyone would think it would be better to try a reverse audio pot so that last 10% is spread out a little better?  I think reverse audio pots are a little more expensive so maybe it wouldn't be worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance

Dan N

Never thought of it as I turn all fuzz knobs straight to 10.

Small bear does sell a 500K reverse audio...

Triffid

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  I was think of making the fuzz pot a 1k reverse audio pot.  I agree, I turn mine all the way up as well, but I wonder if the reason I do that is because it is just too hard to dial in that upper range fuzz with any consistancy?

Thanks, I think i'll add that small bear part to my next order

Nasse

:? Mmm just dont remeber well, but I have a hunch you can make the control acting more how you like by some other mod. I think there might be great info at GEO "Technology of Fuzz Face" or some other sources

Was the trick changin the stock 1 k pot to 2 k (or what is nearest available value like 2,2 k in Europe and perhaps 2,5 k) :roll:

I almost always have the distortion at 11, so I have not bothered :wink:
  • SUPPORTER

Jim Jones

Hi Triffid,

I never nailed it down to the last 10 per cent of rotation, but I have noticed how the first part of the gain pot's rotation really doesn't do much of anything.  If that's any concern to you, copying a part of the old Vox Tonebender circuit does the trick.  Rather than having the "cold" lug of the gain pot go to ground, solder an 820 or 1K resistor between it and ground.  That way you get useable sounds throughout the full range of the pot's travel.

Jim

petemoore

Start with something like a 2k5 or 5k  pot.
 Tag resistors [start with about 2k5 or 5k] experiment with values...tag one resistor at a time [different values] across lugs 1and 3 till it get to where you want it to be [gain-wise] at max setting.
 I've only done preliminary thinking on this, you can use resistors across lugs 1 and 2 ...or... lugs 2 and 3 to alter the taper of pots.
 Also as above mentioned, seriesing a resistor [like from lug 3 to where lug three 'would' connect] with the pot causes it's 'K range' to start 'higher'...say a 10k pot would go from 0k to 10k from ground.
 Using a 10k fixed resistor between a 10k pot and ground would give an R range between 10k and 20k...
 Experiments and adjust to taste !!!
 Just keep thinking 'parallel is smaller'/'series is bigger' [R value] as you contemplate all the different R possibilities.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Triffid

Thanks guys, I'll will try out using a higher value pot (btw... isn't that one of the roger mayer mods... now maybe I know why), and i'll try the resistor to ground and let you know how it goes.