another question for my project

Started by Narcosynthesis, March 04, 2004, 09:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narcosynthesis

right, i am making a stompbox as part of an electronics project in school, what i am doing is putting the signal through some sort of booster, then splitting it into two, half will go through a low pass filter of some sort and get bypassed to the output, the other half of the signal will go through a high pass filter, then through a fuzz face circuit, join up with the bass signal and continue on towards my amp

one problem i think i may have found already... will the use of a booster and filters affect the fuzz circuit, i know some of them dont like getting other buffered pedals on front of them (or in my case, other circuits as part of the pedal)

the fuzz circuit i was intending using would be this one - http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/v2/diagrams/fuzzface_sc_pn.gif

any ideas anyone?

David

smoguzbenjamin

Well, the FF might not like it and kick you in the butt, but you could try. If it works, fine, if it doesn't you gotta tweak a little more. This'll probably sounds pretty interesting, high notes will sound fuzzy while the bass is preserved. Sounds like a fun project!
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Narcosynthesis

thing is, it has to be done within a timescale (this will include having to order some parts) so if the ff dosent like the input...then im screwed (bye bye A grade for electronics)

so is there any way to tell? or does anyone have any other decent sounding muff/ff type circuits, they have to work fine after a circit (the amz mosfet booster) and a high pass filter
and preferably be very simple as i have to work to a timescale and cant spend weeks troubleshooting a huge mess or soldering...

David

smoguzbenjamin

well, in that case I would use something more reliable... An OA based fuzz or something. When's it got to be finished?

Narcosynthesis

Quote from: smoguzbenjaminwell, in that case I would use something more reliable... An OA based fuzz or something. When's it got to be finished?

not too sure to be honest, we have started on the reserching and stuff now, so i want to get it done as quickly as possible to leave me time for writing up the report and stuff

any circuits in particular you would recommend, i want one as cool sounding as possible so i could actually use it (if my plan works anyway)

David

Ansil

instead of making the fuzz whcih using germaniums is tricky biasing.  whty not make a simple one chip distortion. wiht low parts count and apply the same principle if you likke the results you can always build a fuzz face later and save your "A"

Travis

For really simple with good sound, I'd probably go with the bazz fuss.  you shouldn't have to do much trouble-shooting there.  Also simple and pleasant is the electra distortion.

Both are VERY simple and seem like they would respond favorably to your proposed design. They both also produce good sound out of the box with little or no tweaking.  

FF's can be tricky to get right at the best of times.  I's shy away from that design, for this (given the time available) even the silicon versions.

http://runoffgroove.com/bazz.html)
The first (and simplest) circuit will probably be sufficient for what you need.  Build it, and mod it to your satisfaction.

smoguzbenjamin

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/v2/diagrams/dist_250_sc.gif

That'll have no problem with a pre-buffered signal. It's not much more and if you build that you will also prove to be capable of larger-than-10-component builds ;) That's an A+ for electronics ;)

But the bazz is good too :) I hadn't even thought about those... :mrgreen: Yeah that's actually a good idea

Narcosynthesis

ok, the bazz fuzz looks like a winner.

for version 3 he has a list of different diodes and what they sound like, so how easy would it be to use a few different ones selectable via a switch of some sort. or would i really need to switch the 1k resister for different values depending on the different diodes?

basically being able to switch between the bottom four on his list would be cool.
and would using more than one diode in parrallel work?

David

smoguzbenjamin

More than one diode in parallel facing the same direction? I haven't the faintest, I hadn't even thought of doing that. If you have enough time you can experiment! :)

Good luck on your project!

Narcosynthesis

Quote from: smoguzbenjaminMore than one diode in parallel facing the same direction? I haven't the faintest, I hadn't even thought of doing that. If you have enough time you can experiment! :)

Good luck on your project!

i might as well try it out on breadboard... worst somes to the worst, i will blow out the amp i will be using (Marshall MS-2, hardly that valuable) and haev to rebuild the circuit...

any more comments or helpful ideas? any other odd ways to rig up the circuit for some new/odd noises?

thanks for all the help. i shall report back with what i end up with

David

smoguzbenjamin

if you add a DC blocking cap which is in the schemmo anyway, you're never going to blow out your amp. Some insane stuff's gotta happen before your amp gets smoked. Don't worry and experiment, just don't forget the output cap ;)

nightingale

check out Tim E's version of the bazz fuss~
he uses a few diodes in series in this circuit... i think thers a link on the runoffgroove BF page..
hth,
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com