Juno 106 chorus here

Started by StephenGiles, May 01, 2004, 02:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

I found the service notes for this old synth here:
http://www.hinzen.de/midi/juno-106/manual/juno-serv.pdf
It uses 2 x MN3009 chips
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

puretube

Thank you, Sir;
it`s a pity they (Roland) don`t show the PCB layout of the chorus section,
so we all could have learned about their way of dealing with
heterodyning clocks...

StephenGiles

Puretube - why aren't you out having a rave up?
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

mikeb

puretube

mikeB: thanks for the link, but I was referring to the "Jack board" PCB (either next to the main board, or sandwiched).
btw.: I wasn`t asking on my modest behalf...

Stephen: since Mayday happened to fall on a saturday this year,
I had to let go the "night fever" part, and concentrated only on our annual 11-to-11 o`clock (liquid) picnic with friends, which can only be reached by bike...
now I hope my clothes (hanging over chairs) will be dry by tomorrow.

earlier today...

Ry

I allways thought the chorus in my 106 was a little lacking, honestly.  I prefer the 60 version, where you can select both waveforms at once.  It seems a bit more thick.  Interesting stuff, though!

Ry

Dan N

It looks about identical to the chorus on my Juno-6.

http://www.synth.clara.net/juno.html

My camera is on loan, but I can upload some decent photos tomorrow night.

puretube

interesting: they don`t use a balancing trimpot at the BBD`s outputs...

Yuan Han

yup!,

thats IC8/10 on the jack board. Page 9 of the pdf file.

they just ran the outputs through 3.3k resisters each and tied them together. maybe because they're like really precise or something ?

always thought a a trimpot was required.... to tweak and cancel out the clock sounds.mmmmmmmm

yh

puretube

if they were more precise, they`d use a trimpot (not "required", but better);
others are less precise and deadshort the 2 outputs...

yano

I happen to own a Juno 106...If I can get my hands on a digital camera, maybe I can get some pics posted.

Dan N

Here are a couple down and dirty pics from my Juno-6. Probably the same as a 60. I think the 106 is a smaller synth with more electronics for patch memory and midi.

http://members.fortunecity.com/uzzfay/rjch.html

puretube

thanx, Dan: so they have the 2 BBD circuits wide apart to avoid interference...

StephenGiles

Hey Puretube, that's a magnificent rainbow in your picture. We had the experience of being above a rainbow at Machu Pichu in Peru last September - somehow puts everything else in perspective. Did you ever see the Memory Man circuit using SAD 2000?

puretube

never seen a rainbow "downstairs", except at a waterfall - but that`s not the real thing...
never seen a MM with SAD2000 - didn`t even know the existence of such a chip...
(read you mentioning it over at ampage...)
only know of a SAD512, 1024, and 4096;
O.t.o.h.: TDA1096, 1097, 2104, 2105, 2107, 2108, 2110;

but a "millennium"-BBD has never occurred to me - tell us more...

at the end of the rainbow, there is a hotel-chimney

puretube

QuoteDid you ever see the Memory Man circuit using SAD 2000?

maybe that may be a "practical joke" from way back when... ?

StephenGiles

No joke - how do I post circuit here?

puretube

RDV

Quote from: puretubeStephen: since Mayday happened to fall on a saturday this year,
I had to let go the "night fever" part, and concentrated only on our annual 11-to-11 o`clock (liquid) picnic with friends, which can only be reached by bike...
now I hope my clothes (hanging over chairs) will be dry by tomorrow.

earlier today...
You took that picture laying down, didn't you. :wink:  I used to be a drinking man, you know.

puretube

true: in fact I was lying in the wet grass at the right end of the rainbow, (cam and bottle in my hands,) and took the pic of it through a mirror...