New at runoffgroove.com: Thunderchief

Started by B Tremblay, March 22, 2004, 12:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B Tremblay

Thunderchief is a JFET emulation of the Marshall 100W Super Lead.  Check it out!

Article and schematic: http://runoffgroove.com/thunderchief.html
Sound clip:  http://runoffgroove.com/salvo.html#thunderchief
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Peter Snowberg

8)  8)  8)  8)  8)

As always... my hat is off to you guys! Fantastic work!

I've been playing with JFET pres in the Fender and 'Wreck territory for some time with results that my fried ears seem to like. You show this is equally effective for Marshalls too. I wonder how well it would work for a Dumble flavor (with said tone stack)?

Again, great job! 8)

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Gary

Thanks, Peter.

Thanks to Doug Hammond and his Meteor for showing us how to do this.  The quality of the distortion is so much better than a diode clipper.  It's incredible.  Thanks again, Doug.

We also played around with the SLO 100 and the 5150 amps.  We settled on the Marshall Super Lead, due to the nostalgia factor.  That and the amount of gain was rediculous!

Doug H

Nice job, Gary and Brian!

I designed something last year that used a rotary switch to change between 3 different marshall amp voicings: jtm45, 1987, and 1959. It sounded good on the breadboard but seemed like such a PITA to build due to the switch, I haven't gotten up the enthusiasm to construct it. Anyway, I dumped the "PI" and jfet output stg in favor of Joe Davisson's Blackfire stage, and ran the NFB back to the 2nd preamp stg instead. I also tuned a separate feedback loop for ea voicing, with some bass resonance to pump up da bass appropriately and even out the response for ea setting.

I also tried an SLO, but it sounded just like Joe's Blackfire to me. Some day I want to try Ansil's Ecstacy ("Eggstacy") too. It looks pretty nice.

Peter- Aron did a JFET "*umble" design a couple years ago. He had a nice LC-sounding clip with his 335.

Doug

Thomas P.

All I can say is hey :wink:

A great job, really!!!
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

troubledtom

nice job!!!!!!!!
   peace,
      - tom

ian87

amazing, guys. i may actually try and build this!

i looked on the site, but didn't see any kind of fair use/IP-type info. what are your requirements or thoughts or philosophy for using the circuits on runoff groove?

-ian

Ge_Whiz

Crikey, you guys don't stand still, do you?

Any ideas for a circuit that uses 12AX7 valves voiced to sound just like a classic 1970s 2N3055 push-pull transistor output stage? [Runs from hail of abuse and flying beer cans  :D ]

petemoore

Words of Keith..."You are only as good as your last rythm".
 I like hearing modern incarnations of SAM.007 !!!
 Very Nice sound clip! Put a smile on My head.
 It is a Runoff Deluxe Groove !!!
 It sounds to be 'worth the count"!!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

RDV

Now you've done it!

Now I've gotta go buy more perf!!

Regards!!!

RDV!!!!

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: Ge_WhizAny ideas for a circuit that uses 12AX7 valves voiced to sound just like a classic 1970s 2N3055 push-pull transistor output stage? [Runs from hail of abuse and flying beer cans  :D ]
LOL!  :lol:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

WGTP

Cool name, nice circuit, but you guys are killing me.

Keep up the great work.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

smoguzbenjamin

Wow... that has the sweet gainy-but-not-nasty sound :D amazing... Dang why can I not choose what to make? All the runoffgroove distortions sound great 8) I might just build them all.... :roll:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

Gary

Thanks, all.

Doug, do you remember me asking about the SLO after you released the Meteor?  We were playing with this stuff then.  We didn't get it right until now.  Thanks for teaching us how to do it.  The PI is a little tricky.

I wonder if this is how Brian Mena does it?

BTW, everyone reading this that has not tried Doug's Meteor, do it now!  You've never heard a distortion pedal sound so good.

Marcos - Munky

Thanks for sharing this, really looks great.

Impaler

Definately going to build this one. I'll make a PCB for everyone to make this build a lil easier  :wink: Good job guys!
"You're just another victim" - Tazz

Moo

This is great. I'm probably gonna build it. Anyhow, does anyone have a perf layout for it? Thanks.

keko

How do you expect us to follow your updates? I need more perf!!

Thanks again guys!
.::keko::.
www.qpd.cl // desahógate ahora!
www.basa.cl // Digital « Design » Atelier

Jered

Quote from: GaryThanks, Peter.

Thanks to Doug Hammond and his Meteor for showing us how to do this.  The quality of the distortion is so much better than a diode clipper.  It's incredible.  Thanks again, Doug.

You are right on the mark IMHO. JFET's do have an amp-like sound quality where diode clippers are buzzy/fuzzy sounding, the definition of solid state distortion in my book.
 Great work guys and I agree that Doug's work has been extensive and inspiring.
 Take care,  Jered

Phorhas

Hey guys - great tone ... truely a wonderful pedal...

oh, and doug - speechless...
Electron Pusher