Zombie Chorus: How does it work ?

Started by Yuan Han, April 07, 2004, 11:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yuan Han

I've been pondering about this.

When the clone switch is closed, it goes into clone mode which uses 1024 stages. when its opened, it's the BOSS CEsomething mode which usees 512 stages.

But if the BBD *has* 1024 stages, you can't just use "half" of it right ?
So what is happening when the 1n capacitor is shorted out between pin 6 and 7 of CD4046 ?

i don't think its changes the clock rate right ? cause for 1024 stages, the clock rate has to remain about the same for chorusy effect (25ms seconds delay ).

So could someone please explain to me what is happening ?

Mark Hammer

The number of stages used does NOT change.  The "mode" switch simply changes the clock rate.  Increasing the clock rate x2 produces the same amount of time delay as having the same clock rate but half the number of stages.  Conversely, dividing the clock rate by 2 mimics the effect of having twice as many stages of delay, producing twice the amount of time delay.

On mine, I have a 3-position switch producing the standard 2 "modes", plus a third for an even smaller capacitor value which is closer to the delay-time typical of many flangers.  This gives a much nicer Leslie-type sound.

Yuan Han

so the mode switch sorts of shifts the "center" (or equilibrium position) of the delayed signal ? Like with a higher clock rate, the center is shorter, at about maybe 10+ms, while with a lower clock rate the center is at 17+ms ?

Mark Hammer