Question for stompbox builders from the UK

Started by bizzare, August 29, 2003, 10:02:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bizzare

Where do you buy the parts? A local shop or a big chain like Maplins?

gez

www.esr.co.uk

They have loads of stuff that isn't in the catalogue (stomp switches, die-cast boxes etc), so just phone and ask.  They're reliable, fast and CHEAP (more so than Maplins), though prices don't include VAT (still cheaper than most other places).  

The only thing you have to watch for is if they don't have something in stock (rare), they'll send it to you later on, separate from the rest of the order and you end up paying postage twice!  Not so bad if it's an expensive item, but I've had times when they've charged me £1.50 postage for a couple of caps which cost pennies!  Tell them to ONLY include in the order what they have in stock.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

bizzare

Thanks could be very useful. Time to get ordering eh? :)

gez

If you're in London there's also Cricklewood Electronics.  They're a total rip-off  but you will find lots of trannies/chips there that are damn near impossible to buy anywhere else (large stocks of Ge devices).

Unfortunately Maplins are a necessary evil for some things, though more and more the component part of their catalogue gets less and less.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Tehre is Greenweld as well. Like most electronic part places, some god deals and many not so good. Worth keeping an eye on their specials (being in Australia & having some trouble with their web catalog, doubtless my fault, havn't bought anything).