Modding a Dano Chicken Salad

Started by Rodgre, October 05, 2003, 09:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rodgre

I picked up a Chicken Salad vibrato this morning, and I would just like to make the rate go faster. I assume that this is just a matter of putting another resistor in series with the speed pot, but I just wondered if anyone else had done this already.

For $10, it's not a terrible sounding univibey vibrato pedal, but I'd just like it to go a bit faster.

Roger

timrand

Does this pedal sound like a univibe ?
DOes anybody know of any sound samples ?

Rodgre

well, it has that phasey vibrato like a Univibe. It sounds more like a Univibe than a phasor or a leslie. I haven't figured out how it's doing what it's doing, but it's a neat effect for $10. Certainly not as rich and bubbly as a Univibe, but it's in that ballpark.

Roger

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Might be easier to speed it up by making a cap smaller. You can find whihc cap, by putting caps one at a time across ones already there, till you find which one is sensitive. Changing caps, there is no risk of changing bias or damaging anything.

drew

I changed one resistor and one cap in a DOD "Vibro-Thang" to speed it up into the ring modulation range. It sounds like crap when it goes too fast, but I just wanted it to go a little faster it could go before...

And speaking of the Chicken Salad, rog, I gutted the original orange piece of crap and put it in a Hammond box with a DPDT switch...

drew
toothpastefordinner.com

Rodgre

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)Might be easier to speed it up by making a cap smaller. .

RIGHT! I did this on a Boss Super Distortion/Feedbacker to make the oscillator's LFO go faster and wider....  I'll do some experimenting!

Quote from: drewAnd speaking of the Chicken Salad, rog, I gutted the original orange piece of crap and put it in a Hammond box with a DPDT switch...

I was going to do this with a Tuna Melt tremolo as well. Drew, can you either email me or post here how you did it? Do they use electronic switching that you need to take out of the circuit?

Roger

C Bradley

Quote from: timrandDoes this pedal sound like a univibe ?
Does anybody know of any sound samples ?
I think that Musician's Friend has samples of the Danelectro pedals up on their site.

Chris B
Chris B

Got Fuzz?

drew

Hi rog (I am "toothpastefordinner" on the tape op board, I see you over there too)-

I don't have a schematic, I just ended up tracing out the switching part of the circuit and yanking it out and replacing it with a jumper so it was "always on", then using the DPDT as a non-true bypass with one side switching the output from the circuit output to the input, and the other side turning on the battery. (I wanted it for my studio, so no hassle there, but you could use a 3PDT if you wanted I'm sure.)

I put it in the larger size box, I think it's the D or the DD, and replaced the original pots too since they broke. If you want to replace the pots with panelmount pots, I have the values & pinouts I got from measuring them. I believe the single pot is a 50k and the dual gang is two 100k's, or the single is 100k and the dual is 2x50k, you should be able to find out by measuring them nonetheless.

The dual pot has a weird pinout- pine 1, 2,  and 6 are one pot, 3/4/5 are the other.

drew
toothpastefordinner.com

Rodgre

Thanks Drew.

I recognized you from the Tape Op board!

Gee, I wonder what other forums you and I are both active on. Are you into knitting, Vespas and collecting Cabbage Patch Kids? :)

Thanks so much for the info. I didn't even realize they used a dual-gang in there.... I'll open it up tonight after my session. (I'm in the process of switching over the studio from ADAT to the HD24. So far so good....)

Roger

Craig V

Drew,

I tried something similar to what you did a few months ago, except I kind of screwed up.  I can't get the bulb to pulse.  I know it's a long shot, but do you have any ideas how to get it working?  I'm pretty sure it is something with the speed pot and it's connections.

Do you have any pics of your custom one?  

Thank a lot.

analogmike

HI,

Did you guys check out the way cool opto device in the Chicken Salad? They took the lightbulb with 4 sensors around it and made it into a cute little package. I pulled it apart to peek inside. Wish I could buy those! they use a light bulb I think, so will draw a lot of current and a battery won't last so long, but it has that MOJO :-)

Have fun!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

timrand

Does anybody know a link to the chicken salad so I can hear it.
Do these pedals have a good bypass circut ?
Does it at all sound like the univibe ?

Rodgre

Quote from: timrand
Does it at all sound like the univibe ?

Yep. It sounds more like a univibe than any other effect. That's definitely what it's going for. Not as rich as the real thing, but it will do fine in a pinch. Cool wobbly off kilter sweep like a real Univibe.

Roger

Craig V

Rodgre

I'm not saying that it will replace a Sweet Ultra Vibe or even a VooDoo Microvibe, but those Musician's Friend soundclips don't do it justice. It's way more Univibey than those clips demonstrate. Boy, I wish the people making soundclips knew how to make a pedal sound like it should.

Roger

Chris S

Hi Roger,

Did you ever work out how to speed up your chicken salad?
I've just bought one

Lonestarjohnny

Has anybody tried putting this in a Volume pedal and useing the vol. for a speed controller ? Which pot control's the speed in the Chicken Salad ?
JD :roll:

Chris S

Could be pretty hard. I am certainly not game to try. The dano mini pedals are really delicate.  

And

QuoteWhich pot control's the speed in the Chicken Salad ?

It's the one called "speed"  :wink: