OT: You know you're an FX geek when...

Started by Jim Jones, April 19, 2004, 11:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jones

...you return from the morning walk with the dog to discover something shiny on the lawn.  Upon closer examination you realize it's a metal-cased, Rogers-labelled OC72 you must have dropped while measuring a batch of transistors for leakage at the picnic table last summer.  :)

Sad - very sad...  :)

Jim

Gringo

I found a 1n4148 INSIDE my bed (aka auxiliar workbench)  :roll:
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

smoguzbenjamin

:mrgreen: Don't ask where I've found electrical components :mrgreen:
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

marrstians

or when you're looking at the fryer at mcdonalds and thinking how good the fry scoop could make a good enclosure...

petemoore

"So where's your junk pile dude?", when being shown a newly purchased home. "Got any old broke electrical stuff?"
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

dr

.....when you replace the bathroom light switch,and then wonder how you will be able to turn on that pushbutton with your big toe.......

loki

this is the most stupid one....
thinking about changing your lamplight on-off switch with a 3PDT one + led indicator which tells you when the light's on  :P  :P  :P

dr

.....lol!............

petemoore

I had an LED on an extra switch. It indicated which position the switch position [only...lol].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Chris Goodson

Quote from: petemoore"Got any old broke electrical stuff?"

:lol:   That's something I know I've said a lot.

TheBigMan

It's kind of like what special forces soldiers go through.  Go into a supermarket and think hey, a little of that and some of that boiled together and I've got a bomb.

Only for us, it's wow that can would make a great fuzzface enclosure or telling your family not to throw out vintage radios in case there's a suitably used JRC4558D in it.

I was at work tonight and caught myself sizing up how many seperate effects I could fit into a biscuit tin.  :roll:

Bluesgeetar

I have VTAS and CAP!  I have "Vintage Transistor Acquisistion Syndrome" and "Component Acquisition Syndrome"  I only want to build 2 or 3 pedals and I order enough parts to build a couple hundred!!  God only knows what insanity is causing me to do this.  It's like I walk in to my bedroom where my bench is at and I look down and I see a bag of caps.  I think, yeah I bought those to build me a Bosstone!  So why did I order 400!?  What the hell was I thinking!?  :oops:

Lonestarjohnny

Those are cool for you youngin's, but for us old folk's, how bout an extra set of Power Cords comin off your pedal board to help jump/start My hearing/aids and my Pacemaker.
JD :lol:

Fret Wire

When you look at your girlfriend, and wonder if Burr-Brown makes anything to decrease her hiss and noise factor. :D

Then you look at her again, and you wonder what diodes would increase her "drive". :twisted:
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Ge_Whiz

...when you just need one obscure part to finish a build, and you have it in stock. Takes you a week to find it, though.

loki

Quote from: Fret WireWhen you look at your girlfriend, and wonder if Burr-Brown makes anything to decrease her hiss and noise factor. :D

Then you look at her again, and you wonder what diodes would increase her "drive". :twisted:

this is great...  :P  i would suggest to add a TRUE Bypass switch, which can be very useful at times  :P

Torchy

That fleeting sense of deja-vu when you find yourself in the same skip(dumpster) for the third time that week.
And still finding nothing useable.
And knowing that you'll be back next week.

Because you JUST KNOW someone somewhere WILL eventually throw out that mint condition TS-808 with the SRV signature on it that you constantly dream abou ... ... oh, just me then ...

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

It's a bad sign when you stomp on a %^&*roach....twice...and expect it to turn back on :D

Chris Goodson

Quote from: TorchyThat fleeting sense of deja-vu when you find yourself in the same skip(dumpster) for the third time that week.
And still finding nothing useable.
And knowing that you'll be back next week.

Because you JUST KNOW someone somewhere WILL eventually throw out that mint condition TS-808 with the SRV signature on it that you constantly dream abou ... ... oh, just me then ...

A fellow "dumpster shopper" eh?   It might seem stupid to some, but I've never had to buy any 4558's or 072's.

David

Quote from: loki
Quote from: Fret WireWhen you look at your girlfriend, and wonder if Burr-Brown makes anything to decrease her hiss and noise factor. :D

this is great...  :P  i would suggest to add a TRUE Bypass switch, which can be very useful at times  :P

A "mute" switch would be an excellent addition, too... :twisted:  :twisted: