Small Clone issue

Started by jimbob, October 06, 2005, 04:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

Damned thing pops when i turn it off . What yall think? I need a pull down resistor at the front from the input cap to ground? Anyone else have this issue?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Yes.

You may have some DC leaking thru the input cap.

If you build using my layout at www.tonepad.com then you'll see that there are two pads next to each other on the lower left corner of the layout. You can fit a 1Meg resistor standing up in those pads.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

jimbob

I added the 1m resistor to it and no difference. Fransisco- you said, "You may have some DC leaking thru the input cap." Ill give that a try and see what happens. Ill just change it out. Any other ideas? BTW-This is the new rtspcb w solder mask for the tonepad small clone.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Then, it must be your stompswitch.. Try replacing it and I'll think of other possible causes, those are the only two issues I've ever encountered when bypass clicking ocurs....

Come to think of it, sometimes the LED turning on creates a peak in the DC supply which can be leaked into the audio path. That's something to consider as well.

Which switching diagram are you using?

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

jimbob

Thanks. this is the wiring I used for the Small Clone -as well as most my stuff. I got used to doing it this way for my 3pdt http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/ts_lo_808.gif Im in the process of changing out the .033 input cap and seeing if that makse a difference. Thanks for the quick response!

jimbob

Ok. I changed out the input cap and still no difference. I think Ill try chaning the switch and maybe the led and see if that can be it. If I recall, I thought I remember someone saying that pops can be due to a bad electro?

jimbob

Ok- I got it. As I was taking the switch off I realized I had it wired wrong. Just in case I switched it out anyways and no popping. Sounds good now.

thanks Fransisco.

petemoore

Cool glad you got it !!1
  I was gonna say audio probe to find which input or output is making the pop, then swap stuff out around there...it's always the last 'one more look' is what finds it !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Great!

Tell us about your experience with the solder mask. How much difference did it make when building?

Fp