mxr dist + ideas? switches ect.. PLz Help

Started by jimbob, April 20, 2004, 02:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I was thinking about tweaking this thing just a little. Adding a switch or something? switching between diodes--betw  germ, and silicon. Or anything else..The thing is i have an extra hole in my box i want to fill with something--and in my opinion, this thing can use a little something extra anyway..Any ideas? If so how? Ive really never adding anything of my own as a mod before. Well, i did do the tycobrahe mod w the extra switch ..that was cool..i think a toggle switch to do something would be cool!

Plz Help-btw--i already tried to cover the hole w bondo but when i cooked it , it got soft and is falling out--ill just puch it out and add something w all your help.

thanks jim
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

petemoore

AMZ Saturation control.
 I would let you choose your own. I only tried the 'twangy bite' one with the cap across the 10k VR.
 The mod comes very well recommended from me for a DIST +, made ALL the difference on mine.
 Course mines a 5534 based D+, Ge diodes.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

I've done 3 things to mine: stacked a pair of NE5534's in parallel, switched to a 100k output pot, and put in a toggle to select between a pair of 1N914's and a pair of 1N34's.  The extra current (chips), extra volume (pot) and extra headroom (diodes)  put some nice muscle into it.

RDV

I have to think a volume recovery stage would be the bomb, cause my Dist+ clone just doesn't keep up with the other pedals gain-wise.:cry:
Love the sound though. If mine was built with a dual OA I'da did done it. :wink:

Regards

RDV

Mark Hammer

They ALL have the same amount of gain.  The question is whether they have the same amount of output.  If you mistakenly have a 10k volume pot, switch to a 100k and you will notice a huge difference.  Same again with switching from Ge to Si diodes.  Were talking roughly 6 times the output level of a stock unit without touching *anything* about the gain.

That being said, a gain recovery/boost stage *would* tend to make your amp's input stage bow on bended knee.

RDV

Quote from: Mark HammerThat being said, a gain recovery/boost stage *would* tend to make your amp's input stage bow on bended knee.
:twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:
Gain-shmain, it ain't as loud as da rest o' em'!
The key to the RickyDonVance tone!!
The secret's out!!!