Baking? How long?

Started by jimbob, April 19, 2004, 06:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

I have an effect that im done painting- i bought a cheap thriftsore toaster oven..How long would be long enough to bake it for and tempature? Also when would i add the clear coat? Before or after? I have decals to put on. i assume that goes last.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

ExpAnonColin

I do the clear coat before, and cook at about 150 for a little while... not sure really how long, I don't think it's that important.

-Colin

troubledtom

about  220 degreez  for 20-30 min's - per layer of lite paint if you want a quick and creative  007 finish.
    - tom

petemoore

I think they' are putting a final coat or two over the decal, I have no XP in this stuff, supposedly it will diffuse the edges and make them less apparent as well as secure the decal edges.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

The advice I can give that goes a long way is test pieces.
 Different paints have different drying times. Put in a small test piece that was prepared just like the finish piece, and test for dryness on that, or an inconspicuous area of the box.
 So for decals definitely use a test, whatever your clear coat is might make the decal colors run..I should keep my mouth shut about things I don't have alot of exp with tho...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

dosmun

I have used clear polyurethane over the decals and it works great.  The decals won't last very long if you don't cover them with some kind of clear coat.

ErikMiller

220 degrees will get you a wrinkle finish, which can be neato, but if you don't want that, keep it at or under 150F.

Measure it with an oven thermometer ($3), do NOT trust the knob on the toaster oven.

Let the paint cure on its own at room temperature for 20 minutes before you oven it.

Ansil

there is usualy a WM or warm setting i use this for around anhour and a half or so up to two hours

troubledtom

Quote from: ErikMiller220 degrees will get you a wrinkle finish, which can be neato, but if you don't want that, keep it at or under 150F.

Measure it with an oven thermometer ($3), do NOT trust the knob on the toaster oven.

Let the paint cure on its own at room temperature for 20 minutes before you oven it.

you can let the paint cure then bake it at 220.  you can hit the box w/
da paint then pop it into the oven.
  right now i have i different way of doing the paint on my devices. my site needs a face lift.
        - tom
ps: more to come