Any Auto wah project?

Started by crawler486, April 23, 2004, 07:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crawler486

I'm looking for an Auto wah project that is not too complicated and does have ready to transfer PCB layout and parts placement layout preferably.

THANKS!!!

Chris R

MXR Envelope Filter from www.tonepad.com

i wouldn't call it an easy project though.

C

vdm

hi mate,

i also recommend the nurse quacky for a simple envelope-filter (auto-wah)... you can find it at runoffgroove i think... there's also the original(?) dr quack for which i think there is a layout at ustomp.com

they're both simpler than the MXR EF so that might make them slightly more appetising. Only one IC to worry about... though IC's actually make projects so much easier  :wink:

hope it helps

trent

Arn C.

http://www.geocities.com/munkydiy/autowah.jpg

I built this and it works great!
I used transistors with an HFE of 206 for the first transistor and HFE of 208 for the second transistor. I sort of tried to match them. For what reason? Who knows.....Maybe one should be less gain than the other, maybe they should be higher or lower gains. I just put a little toggle in for the in/out switch on the left side of the schematic. And as Marcos told me, depending on where the (RATE) pot is set, the led flashes accordingly.
The only thing that can cause a problem is the size of the pot (5 Megs!)
Fortunately I just happened to have only one.
Maybe someone could figure out how to change something in the circuit so we could used the more standardized 1 Meg pot for the rate.

Peace!
Arn C.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

The "Rubber Fetish" is highly spoken of, but I don't know of a schematic.

crawler486

Hmm MXR seems to be fairly easy.
Almost like Rebote2 delay I just made.

Mark Hammer

Both projects recommended so far are worth your time and effort.  They don't sound exactly the same, and some folks prefer one over the other (I prefer the EF to the DQ), but they are both inexpensive, sound decent, and are fair game for mods.

Some things to consider:

- The MXR-EF uses CMOS chips which are static sensitive.  They don't require kid gloves, but can be blown if not handled properly.  Use of sockets is recommended.

- Chip type/brand can appear to be a problem going by comments from some EF builders.  You will want to use an UNbuffered invertor chip (4069).  

- While the chips themselves are not that exotic, some of the resistor values (e.g., 200k) may be harder to find in some regions than others, and may be a deterrent to some builders.  There are no special requirements for caps, though.  The original used crappy ceramics, and that did not detract from sound one little bit.

- The DQ redesign by Jack Orman, and the NQ as well, use very commonly available parts.  Indeed, the Quack was intended to increase the possible substitute parts that could be used and still function (the original DQ required a 1458).

- The DQ/NQ has an envelope follower which is a bit finickier  or problematic in its stock form than the EF, though it is easily tailored to meet every player's individual needs

The Seamoon Funk Machine is very similar to the DQ, but uses a different filter topography (although also bandpass) to yield a slightly different sound.  The schematic for that is posted.  It also uses commonly available parts and is a cheap and simple build, though there is no posted PCB layout for it like the DQ.  Easy to make on perfboard, though.

See my paper on the Technology of the Auto-Wah at http://hammer.ampage.org, and also an earlier version of same at GEOFEX.  The graphics come out better in the GEOFEX version, but the version at my site has more info.

Of course, I am entitled to unilaterally proclaim myself as expert in the area because of where I live - Ottawa.   :roll:   :lol:

The Tone God

Quote from: Mark HammerOf course, I am entitled to unilaterally proclaim myself as expert in the area because of where I live - Ottawa.   :roll:   :lol:

Yeah well I live in the captial of Canada, Toronto! :lol:

Andrew

Mark Hammer

Apparently not the spelling "captial" of Canada.  :lol:

Perhaps this is why there was an item in the paper about McGill University requiring a 7% higher graduating average from Ontario high school students for admission than from students in other provinces.    BURN!!!!  :P

(Outsiders, please note.  None of this has anything whatsoever to do with university, education, spelling, or envelope-controlled filters.  Rather, it is entirely, and singularly, about the loss of the Ottawa Senators to the Toronto Maple Leafs during the NHL playoffs, for the 4th time in 5 years.  Well, that and penis size, I suppose.  It's ALWAYS about penis size, isn't it?  :roll: )

StephenGiles

......like the shock of handling a raw sausage blindfold at a gay party........
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Mark Hammer

Nothing whatsoever to do with filters, but there is a terrific Canadian sitcom that came out this winter, called Corner Gas (http://cornergas.ca), which takes place in, of all places, a gas station and convenience store at the intersection of two rural highways in a small town in Saskatchewan.  VERY, very dry humour, but biting nonetheless, and a consistently high standard of writing.  Every bit as good as Father Ted or Seinfeld, though less frantic.

In a recent episode, one of the town's two police officers was at the gas station counter showing off his new cellphone and was dismayed to see that the station owner's was smaller than his.

Later, in the police cruiser, he says to his (female) partner, "I wasn't trying to look, you know, but Brent took it out and I accidentally caught a glimpse of it.  And it looked smaller than mine.  Mine isn't THAT big is it?  You don't think it's too big? I mean it's smaller than average, right?"

The theme continues for the remainder of the show.  Wanda the gas station assistant, ever sarcastic, calls her boss "bigphone" just to rile him.  Finally, after an escalating battle involving sending away for smaller and smaller phones, the two guys "whip theirs out" onto the counter, line em up side by side, and take out a tape measure, to see who's the *real* man.

So, I guess I stand corrected.  Sometimes it's not about penis size.  Sometimes, it's about phone size.....or hockey teams

The Tone God

Quote from: Mark HammerApparently not the spelling "captial" of Canada.  :lol:

Perhaps this is why there was an item in the paper about McGill University requiring a 7% higher graduating average from Ontario high school students for admission than from students in other provinces.    BURN!!!!  :P

Drat! Foiled again!!!

Quote(Outsiders, please note.  None of this has anything whatsoever to do with university, education, spelling, or envelope-controlled filters.  Rather, it is entirely, and singularly, about the loss of the Ottawa Senators to the Toronto Maple Leafs during the NHL playoffs, for the 4th time in 5 years.  Well, that and penis size, I suppose.  It's ALWAYS about penis size, isn't it?  :roll: )

Well part of the shot was about the hockey game which was sweet. The first game I watched in five years. I was also picking on the miss conception of what is the captial of Canada.

Note to those from the that small country just to the south of the mighty Canada: Toronto is the capital of Ontario, the capital of Canada is Ottawa.

So that was a minor shot with myself from Toronto at Ottawa which Mark is from.

Its all done in good fun. :)

Andrew

jrc4558

Hey Tone God!
Do you play any bands here in TO? I might be your neighbour. I live not far from Vistoria Park&Danforth.

Anyway, to those aware. Active Surplus has sold its building. Now they are located a couple doors west, maybe 5 meters... ...on a second floor of what used to be really over-hyped teenager-dance-club-style clothes outlet. :?  THEY HAVE WINDOWS NOW, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD! :twisted:
This doesn't look like the shrine it is anymore! :twisted:
However they are selling rubber devil-ducks again to promote their new location. A guy I know there said that they will bring in A LOT of stuff from their warehouse, just to clean it up. The average prices on bulk purchases is slightly lower now. They probably lack the advantage of having a basement full of junk. :)

Ok, done ranting, happy builds to all.