X-tra sub-forum for tube amp topics ?

Started by puretube, May 02, 2004, 05:49:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

puretube

lately the amount of questions & answers on (power-) tube-amp related topics has been considerably increasing.
Looks like a lot of people are into FX & tube-stuff at the same time.

Wondering what y`all think: is it ok to have those topics mixed with
FX, or should they be treated separately in a sub-division of this board?

just nosey...   :?:

jimmy

id support that. and maybe another section for talking about guitar related stuff, like playing techniques and reall really great guitar songs, coz we all play, dont we?  :D

cheers
Jim
"Who the f*** are the naked chefs?" - Ozzy Osbourne

tubes or bust

Mark Hammer

Quite frankly, the amplifier forums at Ampage are almost entirely devoted to tube amp topics, and generally tend to attract some fairly high quality contributors, including a number of boutique amp makers.  For my money, the smartest thing is to keep it all in one pool rather than dilute the talent over several forums.

On the other hand, there is not, to my knowledge, any forum devoted to tube-based effects.[/i]

Mike Burgundy

QuoteOn the other hand, there is not, to my knowledge, any forum devoted to tube-based effects
Hear hear!
Now, for that 128-stage tube chorus... ;D

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: Mark Hammer....On the other hand, there is not, to my knowledge, any forum devoted to tube-based effects.
:D  8)

I like the idea for a tube effects forum!

I also agree that there other sites for tube amps such as http://www.ax84.com , http://www.ampage.org , and http://www.18watt.com where the community has already formed and the experts already roam. There have been lots of FireFly threads here and I know Doug would prefer for the discussions to really take place at AX84 when it comes to the FireFly, but I just picture it dumping into a dummy load with a DI output or into an isolation cabinet and suddenly it's an effect. ;) High voltage tube distortion pedals.... nothing like 'em. :D

Now the task would be to sell Aron on the idea of a "tube effects" sub-forum. Hey Aron, what do you think? :o

It would almost take two subfoums.... one for discussion and one for FAQs and resources.

Normally I'm against too much fracturing of the content, but tubes vs. solid state is enough of a distinction that I could see benefit from sub-division.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Brian Marshall

Quote from: Mike Burgundy
QuoteOn the other hand, there is not, to my knowledge, any forum devoted to tube-based effects
Hear hear!
Now, for that 128-stage tube chorus... ;D

You'll need an old used car to build that thing in.

jrc4558

And a hydro power plant to provide all the power it'll require.
Back to fifties, man!

puretube

hey Peter: check your "ampage"-link !
(it sends me to "AmPage-how to get a homepage")  :wink:

snorky

I personally think there are enough tube amp forums on the 'net.  There is TONS of information if you dig around for 1/2 a second.  The tube-based effects idea is really good though.  Some of use who are fine with transistors are a little scared of tubes.  :-)

That said, instead of creating a whole new section, maybe just put [tube] at the beginning a thread subject??  (You could search for tube info easily.)  And maybe a tube section in a FAQ?

- Mark
Elephants are the new skulls.

puretube

hey, that`s a great idea, snorky:  8)
Quotemaybe just put [tube] at the beginning
(like [OT] for off topics).

But mr. Ibanez crossed your plan ~25 years ago with his
darned "screamer", as can be seen at the moment about
3 threads down...

A search would bring up thousands of "TS" topics,
before "the real thing" is found...  :cry:

Mike Burgundy

Well, that's easy.
Go with the Brits and use
[valve]
;P

puretube

...but that`s no 4-letter-word !

(TOOB ?)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If it's an amp, there are excellent forums already.
If it's a tube EFFECT, then surely it is welcome here  :?
In any case, wherever stuff is, it saves everyone a LOT of time, if the subject heading is clear :wink:

Doug H

I personally don't like a lot of sub-forums. That is one thing that has made Ampage less appealing to me over the years. I just don't have the time to check it all. (That and a few other things have really diluted the content over there and made it a much less interesting place than it used to be IMO.) The one exception is the BS forum. Evidently a lot of the Ampage folks like to talk politics and other assorted nonsense so the BS forum has helped keep those discussions from diluting the tech forums.

IMO, tube-based effects are still effects, so it makes perfect sense to discuss them right here. I never meant to start the "OT" thing about tube amps (I posted about the Octal Fatness because I knew there were some who were interested in it, after all).  I just didn't want to get into heavy-duty troubleshooting of the Firefly over here since I was already helping with that at ax84. FWIW, the Firefly is in the process of becoming an "official ax84 project" so it just makes a lot more sense to discuss that over there anyway. But I never had a problem with "Gee, look what I did" kind of posts over here on tube amps or anything else for that matter. It's all pretty cool  AFAIC.

One more thing about subfora I don't like is that the categories will get abused. Sooner or later the different forums will contain topics of all subjects. In the end, instead of one forum to check that has everything in it, you have multiple forums to check that have everything in it. If you don't believe me, check the "reviews" section and see how many threads got started that have nothing to do with reviews.

Sorry to ramble on, but I just like to keep things simple and fast.

Doug

Eric H

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)
In any case, wherever stuff is, it saves everyone a LOT of time, if the subject heading is clear :wink:

Yes. Please.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

Eric H

Quote from: Doug HI personally don't like a lot of sub-forums. That is one thing that has made Ampage less appealing to me over the years. I just don't have the time to check it all.

I completely agree.

Quote from: Doug HIMO, tube-based effects are still effects, so it makes perfect sense to discuss them right here.
Yes.

Quote from: Doug HOne more thing about subfora I don't like is that the categories will get abused. Sooner or later the different forums will contain topics of all subjects.

Yep, it's a complete PITA. I should mention the content is still worth slogging through, and  Steve's software is the most user-friendly I've seen.

QuoteSorry to ramble on, but I just like to keep things simple and fast.
Ramble on, Doug ;) ("...gotta sing my song...")

-Eric
--DougH

freeradical24

well so long as were on the subject of tube amps.any body know of any good books on tube amp maintenance? :D

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Yes, Please.

How about a set of references to tube resources on the web? With something short and sweet, the tube questions that are best for other forums could get relayed there quickly. We could still use a list around here for pedal use too.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

puretube

sorry to interfere here:
QuoteSteve's software is the most user-friendly I've seen.
which one is that?

(btw.: thanx, Peter: the "ampage" link now took me to the right place...)

Eric H

Quote from: puretubesorry to interfere here:
QuoteSteve's software is the most user-friendly I've seen.
which one is that?

Forum software? I believe he wrote it himself. :)

-Eric
--DougH