pete cornish, true bypass and your thoughts

Started by { antonio }, May 13, 2004, 10:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

{ antonio }

i went to the link below earlier today looking for some info on signal loss and i found out about pete cornish's feeling on true bypass and i wanted to know what everyone here thought of it.  

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_against_true_bypass.html
shalom + godspeed.  antonio.
www.myspace.com/magnificat

Peter Snowberg

It's also a good case for having a MOSFET clean boost as your first pedal and still using true bypass.

True bypass is way overhyped I think. FET bypass can do a just fine job unless you want to let your batteries die or such things. PhotoFET relays can do a nice job too.

I think true bypass gets lots of its appeal from contrasting the most poorly done non-true bypass pedals which most of the time just switch between outputs. That category does leave much to be desired. It's also often hard to argue against having zero contact with the signal wire at all.

Just my 2 cents.
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

niftydog

Man, that guy knows his stuff.  Sure would like to have the money to commission some stuff from him!

Being a sound engineer in my spare time, I'd like to have the "constant level and tone presented to the mixing board"

When was the last time you saw a DPDT switch with a capacitance specification?!  Never!  Makes you wonder...

Aside from his well stated case about impedances, there's also the advantage of flexibility with a multi-buffered set up like that.  I intend to build one for my rig of 12 pedals before the year is out!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Mark Hammer

We beat this one to death with a stick some time back.  Check the archives.