How much gain can 2 tubes and 12v get you? Answer inside!

Started by slajeune, May 29, 2004, 08:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puretube

slajeune

Hi all,

Taz, thanks for pointing out the caps between tubes.  I will have to try it.  I think that an extra triode stage will definately increase output volume.  You are right, it can be pretty exciting to play with low voltage tubes!!!

JD, yes, a jfet would definately increase the output.  But, as puretube points it, I was looking for an all tube solution.  A jfet would be a good solution to drive the 12U7 into clipping, which could be an interesting sound also.

Thanks,
Stephane.

puretube

it`s good to know, that all is happening @ low voltages in this thread  8) ;

A certain Mr. Barkhausen had interesting findings about in-phase/outa-phase relationships many decades ago   :?  ; .....

It makes me smile/grin/happy, to see that there are still people,
who don`t believe in the sayings of >40 years ago, like:
"we don`t need that old hot glass-crap anymore, because that new germanium stuff does everything better"  :D

Peter Snowberg

Quote from: puretube"we don`t need that old hot glass-crap anymore, because that new germanium stuff does everything better"  :D
:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Huh??? How the hell is it supposed to work if it doesn't glow? ;)

Take care,
-Peter

PS: When I worked for the U.S. Gov't, my e-mail account name was "tubetech". :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

puretube

it did glow (for a moment), when you gave it 5% above specs..  :lol:

(grin)

tazwolf

stefane - the thanks is all to you for sharing this 12v tube thing with the forum.

One thing I did was to put a 470k potentiometer in place of the (330k data sheet schematic or 10k your schematic ) resistor going to the anode of the tetrode - ths allows me to vary the gain in the output stage I don't know if this is the correct way to do it but it seems to work.

Another idea I had was to take a small crummy old 8 ohm speaker and tear off the cone and connect it on to the secondary so that the transformer would still have a load (but without sound) and then to take a serial feed off the speaker as a line out kind of thing.

tazwolf

Sorry - correction my previous message should read potentiometer connected to the anode of the triode!

riode dode bonode bonometer - time to get some sleep.

Travis

I tried the RS 1k-8 transformer today vs. a generic c. 10W fenderish transformer.  The RS transformer cuts out way too much of the sound for my taste, killing pretty much all bass below 300hz (if I recall the specs correctly).  The bass is important to the perception of round PT distortion, at least for me.  With non-guitar specific speakers, the tranny matters much less.  

The 12AL8 (driven by a 12U7) responds very well to effects.  Boosters, etc, increase volume dramatically.  I drove it with a McTube and a Big Muff last night, and the results were impressive.  I need to get some of the ROG stuff perfed to see how it reacts.

I mic'd the speaker just off center, as close to the cone as possible.  It gets very good tubes/speaker about to blow sounds.  For recording, I've been running the mic into a nearby amp, giving nice, controllable feedback.  The feedback further improves the perception of volume.

I'm finishing a .04 Watt with an EA trem in front of it (nice sounding boost, always on), kind of a precursor to 6GW8 (13W) or 6BM8 (9W) 18 Watt adaptations.

:?: A couple of questions:
Is there any reason to have a bypass in this thing?
How large a signal did the designers of these 12V tubes expect to feed them?

puretube

QuoteHow large a signal did the designers of these 12V tubes expect to feed them?
maximum pk/pk = grid bias voltage...

slajeune

Hi Travis,

I am really interested in your 12U7/12AL8 design.  I had some issues with my design and am currious in seeing this work!  I just got an Oscilloscope this week and I will debug the circuit when I have some free time.

Thanks,
Stephane.

Travis

Right now it isn't much of a design, just pots connecting everything together.  It sounds good enough for me to show to other people, however.  I have three other projects (probably about a week and a half) that I need to finish before I can pull the 12U7/12AL8 back apart and take all of my measurements for a final copy.  It was initially built to specs, but was unspectacular as such. I still need to play with som eof the cap values, hopefully opening it up a bit.

I've had a few pros play it over the last couple of weeks, and they were really impressed.  Anyone who has spent time in a recording studio can appreciate the ridiculous low volumes of this thing.  They enjoyed it more than the Filter S/H that I left out for them.

The 12V tubes are an insane amount of fun.  I like being able to touch the circuit I'm working on without fear of immediate death.  A paralyzing sleep deficit keeps me too scared to work on high voltage tube stuff very often.

I'm hoping that a couple of the 55mu triodes will give me enough gain for a 12V tube wah.  Can you roll your own Darlington tube (without anything exploding)?  Also, is there any real use for the included tube diodes?  If there is, I may work them in.

Anyway, I should have a variety shipment of the 12V's coming in sometime next week.

puretube

problems with Tube-Wah (TM) is not so much depending on gain, but on impedance issues...  8)

Travis

Nice, thanks.  Guess I need to buy one of your envelope filters now.  Fortunately, I've been looking for an excuse to do just that.

I was thinking of building along the lines of the GEO tube wah (or valve wah, if it makes you more comfortable :) ), so that I have a simple established design (inductor/Vox) and rely on the tubes for distortion behind the sweep.  I really don't have the time to do anything fancier.  

How low-gain can you go?  Would an amplification of 20 be too low?  How about 10?  I suppose that if I can get a sound I like out of it, I can always tack on a gain recovery stage.

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/tube-wah/tube-wah.htm

Stephane, I'll see if I can get the 12AL8 sorted soon.  What problems did you have with yours?

slajeune

Hi Travis,

the issue with the 12AL8 is that the distortion just seems to harsh.  It happens when I use the triode of the 12AL8.  Using the circuit in the spec sheet, I get ugly distortion.  If I raise the grid voltage just a bit (from -.9 to say -.75), some of that harsh distortion goes away.  If I try to bring it higher, I get some sort of oscillation...

I still need to wrap my head around all of that.  Maybe I can start learning how to use an oscilloscope to see some of this, I am fairly visual at these things.

If you have any ideas, please let us know!

Thanks,
Stephane.

tazwolf

Slajeune: I connected up a 12U7 (according to your schematic ) on the fron of the 12AL8 and I am getting the same results as you. A harsh and "blatty" distortion as well as oscillation - although the volume is quite a bit louder like you said. Could it be that the 12U7 triodes are providing too high a signal to the 12AL8 triode? I'll keep on experimenting.

Travis: When you write down your schematic would it be possible for me too have a look at it?

Taz

puretube

Slajeune: great thing you got a scope now !  8)

From now on, you`ll be able to take bigger steps, faster and better...
:D

slajeune

Hi Puretube,

yes, yeah are right, I will be able to advance faster, once I learn how to use the oscilloscope!!!

Taz, thanks for confirming my problem.  With old tubes, the possibility of having a bad tube is always there.  I need a few components to start using the oscilloscope.  I am getting these today and hopefully, I will be able to debug a lot of these things next week.

Right now, I have a very clean low volume amp with one 12u7 and one 12k5.  I did play with a distortion pedal infront (a tube distortion pedal) that goes from somewhat clean boost to a good heavy distortion and it was very sweet!  With the clean boost, the volume can get pretty loud whitout breaking up!

Cheers,
Stephane.