OT (Sorry) - What's your job?

Started by Alex C, June 02, 2004, 08:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpnyc23

"I've traveled the world and never seen a statue of a critic."    -  Leonard Bernstein

Bensnap

Sound Engineer in Boise, ID I work for a small sound company and for the most part sit here all day and read this forum... Waiting for a client to have an emergency... Then its a mad rush to remedy the problem and back to the sitting here waiting for the next phone call. Its the only engineering job that I've had that I get a guaranteed 40 hours a week and work 8-5 most of the time too.
Hope to go to school to get an applied electronics degree soon.
"It's too bad that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs"-Jack Handy

kurtlives

Student/Amp Builder/Pedal Builder

What a boring answer...
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

cheeb

History Student/Music Store clerk/manager

theundeadelvis

I run/own a record label, help run a few motorcycle rallies, and I'm a Jack-of-all-trades (repair electronics, cars, houses, computers, websites, and anything else I can get paid to do).

What I really do is avoid getting a "real" job.
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

BlueToad

Going into second year EE student, just finishing up a summer internship in the IC design department of a power supply company.
If it isn't broken, take it apart and fix it!

ConanB

Video game programmer for an internal THQ studio, BlueTongue Entertainment.

I recommend any Wii owners to pick up "de Blob" when it finally hits shelves shortly ;)

smnm

I missed this thread before - interesting!
with so many computer and electronics people here it does make me feel better about being crap.

I'm a curator in a public transport museum in London (you can probably guess what it's called...)
I have a BA in political economy and an MA in film history - no wonder electronics is like a foreign language to me sometimes.

I got into DIY after my last 'proper' band split about 2001, all bands n stuff since have been short term or one-offs /occasional fun things, not full-on practise every week, looking for regular gigs etc deals. I like it better that way, but have been thinking of being 'in a band' again recently.

Simon

arawn

which One?
Auto Mechanic (ASE Certified)
Licensed and Certified  Massage Therapist
Bakers helper
Currently Warehouse Converter Technician (for a local Cable Company)
Oh and shipping Receiving Clerk at the same time.
The most recen is one of the best Get to "fix" Cable Converters. Mostly just swapping components but hey I actually Recognize most of the parts besides I get to bring home all the broken things I want lot's of parts to salvage that haven't been damaged at all. Besides i get to see what lightning does to electronics.
"Consistency is the Hobgoblin of Small Minds!"

Gus Smalley clean boost, Whisker biscuit, Professor Tweed, Ruby w/bassman Mods, Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer, Zvex SHO, ROG Mayqueen, Fetzer Valve, ROG UNO, LPB1, Blue Magic

ambulancevoice

me???
Alex M Palmer (I'm not totally sure how to spell my middle, anyway, i hate it, i hate my whole name)

senior high school student
goth (not a metal head retard in black like the idiots around today, i mean true 80s style)
soon to be butcher cleaner (hopefully), applied just yesterday
artist (paint, ink, drawing, sculpting etc), designer (graphic) and musician (one man band, I'm a multi instrumentalist)
ive been described as "interesting but creepy", and my friends and acquaintances call me "crow (boy)" for many reasons

thats all really...

Quote from: cpnyc23 on August 07, 2008, 06:36:21 PM
Bond Trader

-chris

i thought you wrote BONE trader at first
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

frequencycentral

I work with kids with challenging behaviour in a special needs school.

I write music for advertising agencies - mostly corporate stuff, my main client is Volvo Trucks.

I give guitar and piano lessons.

........and I build stompboxes and synths!

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

axg20202

Scientific strategy and communications consultant to pharmaceutical industry......just saying it makes my eyelids heavy :-)   So, I've got the drugs bit sorted, just need more sex, some rock and an SI portion of roll.

GtrmanMoe

Bob Iles here.  I'm a Project Manager for an environmental consulting/contracting firm.  It's everything you've heard it was.  And less.  I deal on a daily basis with the drones at the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP), who are responsible for enforcing some of the most restrictive environmental regulations known to man.   I have a BA in Communications (1993) with a specialization in radio, TV, and film, and I basically sniff dirt for a living and report to the NJDEP about it.

I've been playing guitar for almost 25 years, and been in various bands, all of which had lofty goals, yet little motivation to achieve them.  My current band , House of Moe (www.myspace.com/houseofmoeband) plays classic rock (or whatever it's called these days -- Stones, Heart, Skynyrd, etc.) with a smattering of originals mixed in.  You can hear one of our originals at our MySpace page (shameless self-promotion!! ::)).

I'm also a father of 5 (4 stepchildren, one of my own making), and a husband to a wonderfully sexy woman who doesn't understand what all of the stompbox fuss is all about.  But I still keep her around for the fringe benefits  ;).

Bob Iles | Guitars and Such
My Solo Project

gutsofgold

Electrical Engineer student... Two years down, two years to go! I'm still waiting for some of my schooling to relate to effects circuits  ;D

tiges_ tendres

I work in the acounting department for a law firm.  Yes, the job is that dry.

I might be moving to a paralegal position soon.
Try a little tenderness.

Mark Hammer

Couldn't remember if I'd responded to this one or not, so I looked and realized that I had...only 4 years ago.  Since then, I guess my life has shifted a bit.  I'm still a government "analyst", only I've sort of morphed into a survey/measurement guru, coordinating the strategic human resource information needs of senior management with the nuts and bolts of what gets asked/measured of who.  For instance, once a year, my government department has to go before parliament and provide evidence that hiring across the whole of government is fair, "transparent", non-partisan, and efficient.  I'm one of the people who has to figure out what is meant by all those concepts, how they could be reflected in real valid terms that are meaningful to politicians and senior officials, how you would measure all those things at the ground level (e.g., what does someone who applies at a jobs website treat as evidence of the hiring procedures being "fair"), what questions or informational tidbits would correspond to those things you want to measure, and how you would go about identifying the people you need to get the info from, when you'd need to get it, and how to extract it so that it maps well onto your statistical analysis plan.  I also consult with folks at the top to explain to them why certain figures do not mean what they think it means.  At times it can be a bit like planning out "How would I show God exists?" as a measurement exercise; you have to figure out how to take the ineffable and translate it into a project with concrete steps.

I started out a psych prof before entering government, but bit by bit I see myself morphing into a 3rd career as a public administration prof in semi-retirement, focussing on strategic knowledge management and "wisdom management".  I was honoured to have been asked by one of the elder statesman of public admin in Canada if I'd be interested in teaching and I was pleasantly surprised the other day to see a paper in Public Administration Review from a couple of guys at University of Queensland that was essentially about me.  Not so much about me as a person, but rather a content/discourse analysis of something I had written in 2002, that they saw as evidence of an emerging trend in public management.  Never really thought of myself as being in public admin before, but hey, if it seems I'm cutting edge, who am I to argue?  Sometimes, you have a couple of intriguing ideas that gradually turn into a force to be reckoned with, like a ball of twine that works with little bits of string until you eventually have something 8ft in diameter that can take out a house if its rolling downhill fast enough.

How I manage to do all that and still post here is a mystery to many, including my wife.  On the other hand, when you write as many explanations of things as I've posted here, eventually you get skilled at it, and acquire a reputation for getting big ideas across with ease.  You wouldn't think so, but somewhere along the way, showing folks how to make a better fuzzbox can make you a respected thinker and someone people like to have at the table when decisions need to be made.

Weird how careers transform and you end up places you never even knew existed, let alone where you never thought you'd end up.  Of course, at this point, "end up" may well be the wrong phrase to use; the road is long enough to still have turns in it.  Some of you younger types who sheepishly list your role in life as something you're a little embarrassed to admit may well find yourselves doing something amazing 20 years down the road...and something the rest of us here are very proud of you for.

Baktown

Petroleum engineer, current position is Production Superintendent for a mid sized independent oil company in Bakersfield, California.

Rick J

cjlectronics

Senior R&D Engineer - Medical Device.

I've been in the medical device development industry for almost 20 years.  I am co-inventor on one patent and another is pending.  R&D is where most of my experience lies...both electrical and mechanical, but my education and knowledge lean more toward the electronics side.

Fixing guitar pedals is a side business I have.  Been doing it for about 15 years.  Started by fixing pedals for friends, then local stores found out about my skills, then the word spread on the internet, now it is overwhelming.  I've had to slow down on repairs as my day job is priority.

I'm on the RG Keen plan, work at my day job until I can retire, then go to work doing the fun stuff like designing, building, and repairing guitar related equipment.  Only 22 years to go until 65... maybe sooner at 55??

CJL

mac

I have a Physics phd.
But I invest in real state: I build new houses or recycle old ones.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

drewl

Electrical Engineer/Lab rat.....I'm surrounded by enough parts to buils a thousand or so pedals!