OT (Sorry) - What's your job?

Started by Alex C, June 02, 2004, 08:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicAudio

Mechanical engineer at a private space company during the daylight hours.

I love to see how diverse a crowd hangs around here!
I don't care much about music. What I like is sounds.
-Dizzy Gillespie

bipedal

Great thread idea -- so interesting to see the diversity of professional pursuits.

The posts are particularly interesting for me because I work at a college as a career counselor, helping students explore career paths, prep for internship or job searches, etc. -- basically, assisting them in figuring out ways to translate their skills and interests to the proverbial "real world".

I'm in my early thirties, and have played in a bunch of rock-ish bands since I was in college.  One day the tinkerer side of me connected with the never-satisfied-with-my-guitar-tone side of me, and together they started scouring the internets for info, eventually stumbling across Tonepad and DIYstompboxes (as well as catching a glimpse of Nels Cline's pedal board spiel).  A successful build of a Tweak-o from Small Bear's kit followed by a successful mod of my trusty TS-9 to 808 specs, and I was hooked...

Cheers,

- Jay

"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur

Cardboard Tube Samurai

I've got a Diploma of Justice (pre-requisite for Police force here in QLD Aust.) and have done 3 years of a Bachelor of Education (Secondary English and Legal Studies Teacher). Somewhere along the line I decided that I'd rather make music than money so these days I work at Jaycar Electronics which pays the bills whilst giving me time to play in bands and make pedals. I'm completely self-taught in electronics (and guitar for that matter) so it's been a bit of a slow start but I'm getting there. I also plan to build amps eventually. Ideally, I'd like to be able to make enough money off either playing music or selling pedals/amps that I can give up my day job... I'm a realist though and understand that this may not eventuate

Gila_Crisis

i study Mechanical engineering, and i'm almost finished! the last few most before my diploma!!! :icon_mrgreen:

347sixtyseven

Been a firefighter in Australia for the last 18 years.

Gary

Mann

Aero engine engineer - never worked a day in the aeronautical business. Past 22 years in the same company: construction engineering - steel structures, wooden structures
and past 15 years I've programmed cad-applications for our company and industry (autocad, tekla structures)

any

Graphic Designer / Illustrator

More of a renaissance man really, music, arts, science, all with a sense of aesthetic.

It's supposed to sound that way.

SPAZ

Instrument /controle tech for a leading uranium enrichment company since 1994. Am I the only nukeworker on this forum? :'(

The French connection

Quote from: SPAZ on August 14, 2008, 11:43:47 AM
               Instrument /controle tech for a leading uranium enrichment company since 1994. Am I the only nukeworker on this forum? :'(

Did Leds flash instantly when you approach them?  :D
I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

zhx

I'm a lawyer, but not one of those evil corporate types. I do legislation.

I also do a lot of gigging with the band (especially in the summertime), so I guess I'm a musician too.
Oh and the band is all lawyers ... sounds boring but isn't ... we need some kind of an outlet...!

What I really would like to be is a starship captain :)

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: zhx on August 15, 2008, 03:10:52 AM
I'm a lawyer, but not one of those evil corporate types. I do legislation.

I also do a lot of gigging with the band (especially in the summertime), so I guess I'm a musician too.
Oh and the band is all lawyers ... sounds boring but isn't ... we need some kind of an outlet...!

What I really would like to be is a starship captain :)

Lawyers make the best guitar players!  They usually have the cash to keep the guitar player in the copy room drooling over all of the special deliveries of black guard teles and custom shop esquires!
Try a little tenderness.

zhx

Quote from: tiges_ tendres on August 15, 2008, 11:47:15 AM

Lawyers make the best guitar players!  They usually have the cash to keep the guitar player in the copy room drooling over all of the special deliveries of black guard teles and custom shop esquires!

Or they have an underpaid government job and a big mortage... and have to diy their pedals...   ;)

ralley

I'm an embedded software engineer.  Spent the last nine years working on military avionics in South Africa.  Just moved back to New Zealand and now I'm unemployed.  First time in my life and it sucks.

Rob.
Sender lawyers, guns and money
The sh*t has hit the fan.
   - Warren Zevon

dschwartz

Slightly OT, this thread is really interesting. But i found something curious..

I live in Chile, a third world country, supposedly in "our way to be a developed country"..all jobs here are so f****g boring compared to the ones i read here.. nuke engineer? avionics SW engineer? working in a private space company?? those jobs are a dream here..

here in Chile if you are a "paramedic/firefighter/skate shop owner", you´d be starving..

I work in a water company, i´m an industrial engineer, from a good university (Universidad de Chile)..And all i do here (at job) is to read the forum, and learn to  design pedals or amps..my job here is to design letters, and the bill to customers, manage company´s corporative image, and some other boring stuff..All other jobs available here are even more boring!!! like Finance engineer, accountant engineer, SW engineer (for SAP or something like that..boring)..

Don´t get me wrong.. Chile is a great country..i love it..but jobs suck so bad here!!!!!...

----------------------------------------------------------
Tubes are overrated!!

http://www.simplifieramp.com

earthtonesaudio

If it's any consolation I cooked and cleaned for about 10 years before getting an "interesting" job.

KindaFuzzy

Laboratory Technician, I work on anti-cancer antibodies all day.

Apehouse

still a Zookeeper!
still loving it.

Here's videos i shot of some of the animals i work with, though most of our baby chimp, Kianga:
http://www.youtube.com/Apehouse

The first video is of our gorilla group but it was shot on a snowy day when they couldn't go outside. They were stuck inside and quite bored, as is that video, haaa!

If you were to only watch one video i'd probably recommend the ' How'm i Doing' video. or maybe 'more'..
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music" -Aldous Huxley

CGDARK

Tomorrow I'll begin my new full time job as the Administrator of "Casa de la Historia de Peñuelas". This a history museum of the town I live in Puerto Rico. Besides this I'm a guitar professor and run my company at www.cggtrtech.com (under construction). The website will be up completely soon. Stay tune.

CG

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: zhx on August 15, 2008, 01:26:10 PM
Quote from: tiges_ tendres on August 15, 2008, 11:47:15 AM

Or they have an underpaid government job and a big mortage... and have to diy their pedals...   ;)
Perhaps in a few years you can come over to the dark side!  Get what you're worth, sell your soul, etc ;D
Try a little tenderness.

solarplexus

am I the only high school teacher in here? 

L2/history teacher.
DIY Poser.