OT (Sorry) - What's your job?

Started by Alex C, June 02, 2004, 08:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ripdivot

I work for Dingwall Guitars in Saskatoon, Canada. We build "fan fret" electric bass guitars. Very fulfilling job and lots of fun. Check us out at:

dingwallguitars.com

rousejeremy

I'm a fourth generation musician and have been working since I was 16. I started teaching and playing gigs a year after I started playing guitar and have never had a day job proper. Every penny I've earned in my life has come from a musical endeavour.
I also do guitar set-ups and repairs as well as pedal repairs/modifications. I've gigged in everything from Bluegrass to Metal to Big Band gigs and am starting to get into orchestra pit work
and am also working on soundtrack music for television etc.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

jdub

I'm a librarian in a public library- great job, and I really dig having inside access to whatever info my crazy and somewhat obsessive mind requires... :icon_twisted:
A boy has never wept nor dashed a thousand kim

Ripthorn

I'll let you know in a few weeks.  I am defending my Master's thesis in physics this week and then I hope something comes through.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

jacobyjd

Quote from: Ripthorn on September 21, 2009, 07:59:19 PM
I'll let you know in a few weeks.  I am defending my Master's thesis in physics this week and then I hope something comes through.

Good luck man--I hope your hard work pays off!
Warsaw, Indiana's poetic love rock band: http://www.bellwethermusic.net

bobp1339

I am a Sr Business Intelligence Architect. I design data warehouses and data loading processes.
Well, that's what I SHOULD be doing... usually I just sit in on endless conference calls   :-\

Still a fun job tho...
"I love the smell of solder in the morning..."

...Bazz Fuss, EA Trem, Ross Comp, MXR Env Filter, Orange Squeezer, custom bass preamp...
http://chindigband.com

aziltz

good luck, what's the field?  where do you study?

juse

I design rigid, flex & rigid-flex circuit boards for smartphones.

idiot savant

I work FT as a tech at a poorly-stocked NTE-ridden Portland electronic parts store. I see a pretty diverse group of people from Intel engineers, to dudes that just want to build a pedal, or put blinky lights on their bicycle.

I also do some building and assembly for a local embedded engineer, last project was a hazardous material sensor, that could monitor for 6 or so different chemical compounds... all SMT 0603 and smaller parts. Coming up next are embedded cameras & controls for industrial sawmills -joy-. 

...gig with my band about once or twice a month; it's my only real fun, since I barely have time to build or flesh out any of my own ideas.

bancika

software developer with a hint of project management :D
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Ripthorn

Quote from: aziltz on September 21, 2009, 11:47:52 PM

My field is acoustics and I am studying at Brigham Young University.  Surprisingly enough, it is like the second largest acoustics research group at a university in the US.
Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: Ripdivot on September 20, 2009, 12:30:06 PM
I work for Dingwall Guitars in Saskatoon, Canada. We build "fan fret" electric bass guitars. Very fulfilling job and lots of fun. Check us out at:

dingwallguitars.com

I've had that site bookmarked for years.  Love the multiscale concept...  I've never played one, but I'd jump at the chance.  :)

aziltz

Quote from: Ripthorn on September 22, 2009, 09:50:23 AM
Quote from: aziltz on September 21, 2009, 11:47:52 PM

My field is acoustics and I am studying at Brigham Young University.  Surprisingly enough, it is like the second largest acoustics research group at a university in the US.

That's awesome. Good luck defending.

The French connection

I think i have answered this one...anyway!

Ph. D. Biophysic and Cellular Biology.
I've deposit my thesis this summer and waiting for the evaluation to come before the defences. Actually looking for a post-doct in industry or academic. If someone need an excellent molecular spectroscopist or a really good computationnal chemist.  ::)
Hoping to teach in an university sooner or later.

Dan
I know, but the pedal i built does not boost...it just increases volume!
My picture files:
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/French+connection/
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z4/letournd/Pedal/

Johnny85

PhD student in silicon processing techniques for photovoltaic cells

jolly1423

Jeweler. I make custom jewelry from the ground up and I also do a ton of repair work but I really prefer the former. I work for a wholesaler but I do a lot of my own business on the side. You can see my work at- thirdringdesign.com

wavley

Senior Technician (Micro-assembly) National Radio Astronomy Observatory
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Wasted_Bassist

I used to be a sanitation engineer (working in the kitchen at a Boy Scout Camp). Then I was a sous chef/disciple (a burger flipper at Culvers. Our manager liked to note the the head chef at Culvers is Jesus Christ and we are his 12 sous chefs.) Now I bag groceries. No witty way to present that one...

Celadine

Why isn't this thread in the lounge?

sethj

i'm an electrical engineering grad student, studying computational electromagnetics.