Author Topic: Many Errors  (Read 4665 times)

9V

Many Errors
« on: June 14, 2004, 01:11:11 AM »
for few monthes i've attempt many project, and failed every time,
i've read stuff around the diystompboxes faq's and all the links..

for some project (easy face) i've done the building 100% correctly, and i can't seem to find the problems what soever.. the guitar sound will go through but the effect won't turn on...

i think the problem might be the cold solder? or bad wiring.
and it seems i can't always rely on helps here and there...

what should i do? i am getting frustrated, will getting the DMM, let me find the bad wirings? wrong polarities or cold solder?...

any tips will be appreciated..thanks
i haven't given up just yet!

aron

Many Errors
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 05:25:58 AM »
If you don't have a meter, you need to get one.

Start with a really simple circuit and try to make it work.

Can you post some pictures of what you have been trying?

jmusser

Soldering
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 08:36:35 AM »
I've been soldering for a long time, so for the most part, that's one part of the equation I don't have to worry about. A couple things with soldering, is to be sure you have a good nechanical connection to start with between the componet and the wire, or between two wires. Be sure you have just wiped your soldering tip across a wet sponge, paper towel, or whatever to get the burned flux off. The tip should be shiny then. Barely touch the solder to the tip to be sure it's "tinned", and then touch the connection to be soldered while touching the solder on the connection. It takes very little solder to make a good connection. You should see it "flow" through the connection instead of just bead up in a blob. Let's say you have two twisted wires together, you should be able to see the twist of the wire through the solder after you're done. The main thing, is to be sure you touch both wires or component leads at the same time while soldering, or you'll get a cold solder joint. You'll be able to tell, because you won't get flow through the joint. It will only blob up on the outside of the wire you actually heated to soldering temperature. If you see this when you go back to check your joints, most of the time if you heat both wires of the connection, the old solder on the one wire will flow through both wires of the connection. Let us know when you have a live circuit. We're behind you all the way!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

niftydog

• Awesome!
  • Hey you're a dog, a BIG dog, a nifty-keen-type dog
Many Errors
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 08:28:46 PM »
i've done the building 100% correctly, and i can't seem to find the problems what soever

This is a huge contradiction, dude! Just chill, because we've all been there before and we all feel your pain.  :)

You need to go systematically, ruling out things as you go. For this, you absolutely, positively, definately need a multimeter. In fact, I'm amazed that you've built several projects without one!!!

First port of call, check the power supply.

Check the orientation of all components, particularly transistors.

Set your new multimeter on "continuity test" and check that all leads that should be connected to ground are in fact connected to ground. Same goes for the supply rails. (connect one lead to ground/supply-rail and use the other lead to go through each of the pins.)

Have you built an audio probe? No? You need one almost as much as you need a multimeter! Then you can start tracing the signal through the circuit. Finding where the problems start will point you in the right direction.

Often people choose the "stabbing in the dark" method of troubleshooting. It just doesn't work. You've gotta have a systematic approach.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Sic

Many Errors
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 03:16:10 AM »
Also, re-draw the schematic from what YOU HAVE BUILT, and compare it to what YOU ARE BUILDING...

Sometimes the problem will jump out right at ya when you see something not connected in YOUR schematic, that is supposed to be in the REAL schematic.

if ya have a camera take some pics bro, we're here for ya

btw, definately get a DMM,

Circuit Specialits gives you one for FREE with a 50 dollar order

Mike Burgundy

Many Errors
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 10:56:24 PM »
And don't forget: even with experience, you still get to baffle yourself  with your own ignorance. I just spent the better part of yesterday debugging a circuit untill I realised I forgot to add one single ground connection on the circuit board. No telling how many times we all, collectively, forgot to stick an opamp into its socket ;)

vanhansen

Many Errors
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 11:52:14 AM »
I had a few bugs I ran in to with the beginner project.  I'm a complete newbee to this so I was expecting that.  I just compared what I did to what was in the build instructions and found the problems.  First I had put the output wire in the wrong place, then I had the tranny in backwards (oops).  I forgot I had reversed it when I was troubleshooting the first problem thinking it was in backwards to begin with (thank God for sockets).  A meter works wonders.  I was able to find the problems pretty quickly using it, especially when checking the pin voltages.
Erik

9V

Many Errors
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 01:35:54 AM »
thanks all of you for replying, i haven't been on here for quite some time

learned alot from this site, and other similiar sites. i'm beginning to pick up the pieces, and re-reading/learning everything again, but i haven't given up on any of the projects :)

we don't have a camera, but i can always borrow my friend's digital camera and post some pictures of the projects..

built an electra distortion again just a month ago , it doesn't work anymore, but when it did it was pretty cool :D kind of octave+distortion thing going on..

well anyways, i'll start the project again, i just have to buy the dmm before i build other one, hehe

thanks again guys for helping me!
i really really appreciate it!
i haven't given up just yet!