BSIAB II is done!

Started by Ed G., June 21, 2004, 11:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed G.

Finally, it's done, the second incarnation of the BSIAB:
All schems, layout and a sound clip are here:
http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/v2/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=178&op=page&SubMenu=

It's still basically a cascaded minibooster overdriver, derived from the works of the great Jack Orman, Aron Nelson and Doug Hammond.

Basically, I used what I learned of tone shaping in the gain stages, using different FETs throughout, added a CCS gain stage at the end for more sustain (and elimination of oscillations) and a double-pole filter at the end to make the tone control more usable.
Overall, the tone is more punchy, and the thing is finally usable when you turn down the drive pot for those bluesy tones. The tone has more clarity and you can really hear the difference between guitars and pickups, it lets the character of the guitar shine through, it's overall more amp-like.
Big thanks go to everyone, including but not limited to (and in no particular order) JD Sleep, Ed Rembold, Aron, Jered Carlson, Jack Orman, and anyone else who directly and indirectly contributed to this project.
I recommend to anyone considering building this project to purchase a board from JD, it eliminates (to me) the most aggravating aspects of the build, and it helps to keep his site going.

Bill Bergman

Cool Ed,
the BSIAB has always been one of my favorities. In fact I was looking for it last night and couldn't find it. So now I suppose I'll have to build the BSIAB II.

jsleep

I may seem like a biased opinion, but I _have_ to add some comments.  This BSIAB II is better than any commercial distortion pedal I've ever heard.  If you like the sound of your guitar, you'll love this thing.  Run a tele on bridge pickup into it, with drive on max and you'll still hear the legendary twang sound of the tele coming thru!  Run a 335 into and you still get the hard driving blues sound, etc.  The sound of your guitar shines thru with GREAT distortion sounds.  Clarity is good, you can blast out chords and they sound great.  And the low drive sounds are also very, very good.  Build it! you won't be sorry.

I think Ed forgot to mention that the oscillation problems that somtimes plagued the BSIAB (I) are completely fixed on the II version.

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

Bill Bergman

are the harmonics as good or better?

bwanasonic

Just checking out the schem at GGG, and noticed there is no part value shown for C2. I see from the layout that it is 0.068uf, but I just thought I'd mention it. Also, is there any reason for using parallel caps for C3 other than part availabilty reasons? The Guv'nor was on my list of to do pedals, but maybe I will put the BSIAB II ahead of it.

Kerry M

jsleep

Bill,

Yes! harmonics are still there.

Kerry,

I'll add that C2 value, thanks. Yes it is 0.068uF.
C3 is just value adding, so if you can find a 1.2uF cap, then you only need one cap ;-)

JD
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

EdJ

Great job Ed!
I really like your first version.
Can`t wai to try the second.
Ed

nooneknows

Wow! thanks Ed!
I think the Bsiab is one of the best overdrive sound around. Maybe a bit too distorted to my ears. I'm going to build the bsiabII as soon as possible.
maybe trying to lower the gain a bit...
bye

Ed G.

The BSIAB II can do the 'lower drive' thing pretty well, that was one of my main goals, I found the original was a 'one trick pony.'
Version II can go from a light overdrive to high-gain, touch sensitive rock tones.
If you want to lower the gain even more, try all 2N5457's throughout the circuit. To lower it even more, try MPF102's in the first stage. I like lower gain fets in the first stage, it keeps it nice and open-sounding.

Gilles C

How can I get fix on something?...

Everytime I have a specific project to build, somebody comes with a new/better/different one.  :cry:

What I wanted to build in the following days was a TS-9/Guv'nor style effect. Something to complement my Fender tube amp for the times I want a different sound. I always liked the sound of the original BSIAB, but found its gain a bit too much for me. BSIAB 2 seems just perfect.

Nice playing btw... It helps to make an effect sound good.

Gilles

Bucksears

It will never end (thankfully).
Thanks for all of your work Ed! I'll have the BSIAB 1 & 2 side by side. I still love the original, but will build the II soon.
JD offered up a pretty bold statement for this one, so that's good enough for me.
(Not to mention, as good as the original BSIAB sounds, if Ed thought the II is an improvement, well, who can argue...)

Bill Bergman

I got mine etched,drilled and populated but I didn't solder it up yet when I found out I didn't have any 2N5457's. Are there and subs that won't degrade the integrity of the circuit?

Torchy

Because I live in the UK some of these trannies are hard to find. I use J201s where specified but us 2N3819s instead of MPF102s and 2N5457/8/9. Because Ive never heard these effects with the original spec devices I cant compare but they sound good to me :)

Bill Bergman

I think I have some 2N5458's or maybe 2N5485's.

Peter Snowberg

Hey Bill, last time I picked up 2N5457s I grabbed a bunch so if you want, PM me with your address and I'll drop a few off to you in the mail.

Take care,
-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Ed G.

Quote from: Bill BergmanI got mine etched,drilled and populated but I didn't solder it up yet when I found out I didn't have any 2N5457's. Are there and subs that won't degrade the integrity of the circuit?

You can use J201's throughout, but it will be more distorted and compressed. I find the 2N5457's give it a more 'open' sound. However, the fets are not the only thing contributing to the 'open' sound, so it will still sound good, but consider socketing the fets, and trying it with the 2N5457's when you get some.

Bill Bergman

Thanks Ed, I can't wait to hear this one!

Paul Marossy

Well, the BSIAB might be a "one trick pony", but I sure like it! Actually, I am able to get some bluesy sounds out of it depending on how my vol and tone controls are set on my guitar, but you do have to work to get a tone like that...

RDV

I've got a bunch of 2N5952 left over from the Phase45 build. I wonder how those would work? I know I'd have to plug em' in backwards!  :?

RDV

Bill Bergman

Finished it last night and had to sub the 2N5457's(but there on the way, thanks Peter). First I tried MPF102's....weak, unimpressive. Then I tried all J201's.....harsh, big hum, once again unimpressive. Finally I tried 2N5485's much better, lots of harmonics. The tone control would add or subtract treble but not really add bass.

I still can't find my original :x  I think I had added a cap on a switch for a treble boost when the volume wasn't at max. Can't remember how I did it.

Looking forward to seeing the difference in the 5457's