[O/T] Guitar amp sound samples anywhere?

Started by Leandro, June 28, 2004, 02:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leandro

I've decided that after all these years of owning a small, non-brand SS practice amp, it's time to invest in a proper one.  I'm going for a combo in the 80-100 W range.

Whenever I play a gig I always play with someone else's amp, and in this way I've become quite aquainted to Marshall ValveStates and such, which usually turn out somewhat inconsistent (no doubt due to the wear and tear the poor things have been through).  I really dislike the Peavey's and Laney's I've played through (I play with the amp's distortion 99% of the time, and these two don't do it for me).

At the rehearsal studio I go to, there's mainly 100 W Marshall combos (pretty rotten conditions) and JCM 900's (even worse, I guess the tubes haven't been changed in 10 years).  So on good days, I really dig the sounds I get out of them, but more often than not it just frustrates me.

However, lately I've been playing through a Fender M-80 Chorus Head with two 2 x 12" cabs, which sounds incredible.  From the sound and warm, fluid distortion, I thought it was an all-tube rig, but it turns out it's 100% SS!  I've spotted a couple of M-80 combos on a local on-line auction site, but I don't know what they sound like (hell, I don't know if the M-80 Chorus Head down at the studio is in stock form, either).

Long story short, I confess I have almost no knowledge of different guitar amps' sounds, and yes, I know that one single, solitary amp can put out an infinity of different sounds, depending of the guitar, pickups, settings, etc.  All this notwithstanding (and in lieu of trying to put into words the sound I'm going for), is there any on-line resource of guitar amp sound samples?  Maybe if I can narrow it down to a couple of amps whose sounds I like, I can then go look for them in the instrument shops and try them out (I travel a lot because of work, so I don't have too much time to browse around).

petemoore

IMO the old designs are where it's at. Bassman type Marshalls and stuff with EL-34, 6L6, EL-84, etc. for output...something nice for input like 12ax7's. I use a MkII 50w Vintage Reissure Marshall for the big amp sound at usable volume...I had some 100watters, and they were really great for outdoors or barn use, of course needing alot of speakerage to do the full trick...much happier with the 50w for clubbing.
 I had an M-80, nice loud amp, I will go to much greater troubles to have my tube amps 'right' any day tho.
 Both have advantages, Tone is 1rst for me, so the extra weight, expense, and troubles I'm less concerned with.
 I like using the Marshall 4x12 V/R cab with Greenbacks, I've never tried the 30w ones [they do sound great too], Jensens...there are other great drivers, I use these as examples of what to look for...a good thing to do is get the better speakers figured out. Sometimes I wish I had two 2x12'' cabs, so sometimes I could bring only one. For rock I prefer the closed back cabs, open back does have advantages...the drummer gets some guitar without having a separate monitor provide it.
 Amps is Amps, if they work right, they're all different, my vote [if you couldn't tell already] is for a Gainy tube amp, in the 'old' veign. They all sound and respond to effects differently, I like having various examples of them...and love them all.
 RCA Victor [output tubes: 4 X EL-84]
 MkII Master Lead [2 X EL-34, three 12AX7 input tubes]
 Dyna ST70 [Beefy Hi-Fi] Like a VOX output section...7199 pentode into 2 X EL-34 per side with GZ rectifier tube] A440 output transformers.
 My buddy bought a Behringer model amp, the clean, and clean with phaze sound is going to be hard to beat in the $250new price range.
 The amps sound is a good barometer for what an amp sounds like with 'X' [your] guitar.
 Sound clips through monitor speakers may give some idea of what to expect.
 I wouldn't buy an amp unless I knew what to expect, which is tricky because it will sound different at home...well unless you've really gotten to know it well.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

tcobretti

1) What kind of guitar do you have?  Your primary guitar and the style you play will define the amp you want.  A particlar type of guitar (i.e. strat) may not sound good with every amp, and vice versa.  The guitar/amp combination is the critical factor.

I would strongly disagree with the statement "I know that one single, solitary amp can put out an infinity of different sounds, depending of the guitar, pickups, settings, etc."  In my experience, a particular amp sounds like itself, and basically gets one primary sound that you can affect slightly thru eq and effects, and maybe different amounts of gain.  A PV 5150 is never going to sound like a Vox AC30 no matter what you do.  

The question of an amp that can put out an infinity of different sounds leads me to my second point.

2) LINE 6: I am passionate about mine.  I've owned fenders, marshalls, and a soldano.  My Line 6 Flextone II sounds better than any of them, and yet can sound like a Fender, Marshall, etc.  It doesn't matter so much what guitar you own or will buy because the versatility of the Line 6 will compensate no matter what.  You NEED to check one out with an open mind.  There are people who don't like Line 6, but IMHO, they are bonkers(I'm honestly not trying to offend anyone).  The Line 6 (and perhaps other modeling amps; I haven't played thru the Vox modelers and they are supposed to be great) may be the one type of amp that can compensate for any guitar, any style, any situation.

Keep Rockin,
travis brown

Leandro

Quote from: tcobretti1) What kind of guitar do you have?  Your primary guitar and the style you play will define the amp you want.  A particlar type of guitar (i.e. strat) may not sound good with every amp, and vice versa.  The guitar/amp combination is the critical factor.

I have a Squier II (strat clone) with a DiMarzio X2N in the bridge position.  Real hot, gainy, humbucker.  Actually, depending on the amount I $pend on the amp, the next step is to get a decent guitar.  I really can't complain much about this one, despite its cheapness, because with the X2N I've gotten praises on the sound I achieve.   :)

Quote from: tcobrettiI would strongly disagree with the statement "I know that one single, solitary amp can put out an infinity of different sounds, depending of the guitar, pickups, settings, etc."  In my experience, a particular amp sounds like itself, and basically gets one primary sound that you can affect slightly thru eq and effects, and maybe different amounts of gain.

In hindsight, I agree with you.  I guess I was trying to jump ahead of everyone else reading my post, because if I hadn't "justified" myself a priori, I thought everyone would try to warn me about the subjectivity of the issue at hand.  I also figured that this is partly the reason why I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for on the internet yet.

Quote from: tcobrettiA PV 5150 is never going to sound like a Vox AC30 no matter what you do.

Oh, no doubt about that.  That's not what I meant by an infinity of different sounds, like I can get any sound with any amp.  :)  That's why I want to narrow the field...

Quote from: tcobretti2) LINE 6 [...] You NEED to check one out with an open mind.

Well, not being an amp connoisseur or some sort of romantic purist, I guess I have the "advantage" of not being prejudiced against certain technologies.  Take my opinion on Peaveys and Fender M-80's, for instance: they're both SS, and one I hate and the other I really liked.  I also like some Marshall sounds, ignorant of whether there are tubes or IC's inside them.

This brings me to the issue I most wanted to avoid, but which will have as much an effect on my final choice as whether I like or dislike the sound: the cost.

Living in Argentina, I've gotten accustomed to two things:
1. You buy what you can get: Even if I'm dead set on getting a Line 6/Vox/Whatever amp, chances are I'm not gonna find it here.  Some specific types of Marshall, Fender, Crate, Peavey and Laney amps, I'm sure to find somewhere, but others, not likely.
2. You pay a hell of a lot more for what you can buy: among the aforementioned "common" amps to be had, Marshalls are probably the priciest.  If a Marshall XYZ goes for U$S 600 (new) in the US, you can probably find it for U$S 1000 (used) here.

So, in closing (and back to the main subject), if I could cross-reference some sound samples against the population of amps available to me, I could more efficiently spend my time trying out the "finalists" at the shops.   :)

Thank you guys very much for your input!

tcobretti

This may seem like a strange way to compare amps, but the geniuses at runoffgroove have built pedals that do a great job of emulating the sounds of different amps.  Their "sounds" page might be the best place for you to compare the sounds of different amps, even though you're not comparing the amps themselves.  In fact, you might think about building a couple of these that sound interesting and using them with your ss amp to see how you like them.

http://www.runoffgroove.com/salvo.html

My next project is gonna be The English Channel, and then maybe Eighteen or Supreaux.

good luck,
travis

Leandro

Quote from: petemooreIMO the old designs are where it's at. Bassman type Marshalls and stuff with EL-34, 6L6, EL-84, etc. for output...something nice for input like 12ax7's. [...]

Hi, Pete!  I really appreciate your "anatomization" of amps, but I guess that's the root of my problem.  If I could find someplace where I could listen to and compare what these different tubes sound like, I suppose I'd be able to put more fact into my fancy.

Quote from: petemooreI use a MkII 50w Vintage Reissure Marshall for the big amp sound at usable volume...I had some 100watters, and they were really great for outdoors or barn use, of course needing alot of speakerage to do the full trick...much happier with the 50w for clubbing.

I share the same problem someone else recently spoke of on the forum: an insanely loud drummer.  100 W are sure to be overkill for solitary practice, but I've played with a few 65 W and 80 W Marshalls which just couldn't cope.  The problem is that I don't know if this was due to the wear and tear on these things, or if that's all they've nominally got.

Quote from: petemooreI had an M-80, nice loud amp, I will go to much greater troubles to have my tube amps 'right' any day tho.

IMHO, Peaveys sound "fake" with their gain cranked up, but this M-80 Chorus Head sounded better than any of the Marshalls I'd played with.  Right now, it's on the top of my list.  As soon as I get a chance to try one out, I will.

Quote from: petemoore[A lot of cool configurations, amp ideas and thoughts]

Man, if I could afford half of the rigs you mentioned, my problem would be so much smaller...  Read my previous rant on the Argentine amp market to see what I mean.   :(

Quote from: petemooreI wouldn't buy an amp unless I knew what to expect, which is tricky because it will sound different at home...well unless you've really gotten to know it well.

All things considered, there's no way I'm buying anything without testing the crap out of it.   :)

Leandro

Quote from: tcobrettiThis may seem like a strange way to compare amps, but the geniuses at runoffgroove have built pedals that do a great job of emulating the sounds of different amps.  Their "sounds" page might be the best place for you to compare the sounds of different amps, even though you're not comparing the amps themselves.  In fact, you might think about building a couple of these that sound interesting and using them with your ss amp to see how you like them.

http://www.runoffgroove.com/salvo.html

My next project is gonna be The English Channel, and then maybe Eighteen or Supreaux.

good luck,
travis

I sure will!  I'm just waiting for my shipment of J201's to arrive (another thing you can't get in Argentina).

tcobretti

I found the amp I would buy were I in your shoes.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040628190533066057038075949299/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/482235/

You may have to copy and paste the whole link into your browser, but one of the higher line Line 6 amps is on mega clearance at musician's friend - 75% off.  $400 for a $1600 amp is hard to beat.  The bad news is MF won't ship outside the US.

Leandro

Quote from: tcobrettiI found the amp I would buy were I in your shoes.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=040628190533066057038075949299/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/482235/

You may have to copy and paste the whole link into your browser, but one of the higher line Line 6 amps is on mega clearance at musician's friend - 75% off.  $400 for a $1600 amp is hard to beat.  The bad news is MF won't ship outside the US.

Breaks my heart to not be able to take advantage of offers such as these...   :cry:

On a side note, and probably a dumb question: these amp heads need speaker cabs.  I've noticed that a great many different vendors sell similarly configured cabs, mostly with Celestion speakers.  Are there any [sonic] differences between these similar cabs from different vendors (disregarding open- vs. close-backed)?

tcobretti

Wow pocket, that is a great link.

Leandro:
Different 4x12 cabs sound different from one another for sure.  Factors that affect the sound: type of speaker, size and shape of cabinet, some people would say whether the cabinet is made of plywood or pressed wood.  I'm sure there are more factors that aren't leaping to mind.  

I have to believe that manufacturers design cabinets to match the stregths and weaknesses of the amps they were designed to work with.

travis

Leandro

Quote from: tcobrettiDifferent 4x12 cabs sound different from one another for sure.  Factors that affect the sound: type of speaker, size and shape of cabinet, some people would say whether the cabinet is made of plywood or pressed wood.  I'm sure there are more factors that aren't leaping to mind.  

I have to believe that manufacturers design cabinets to match the stregths and weaknesses of the amps they were designed to work with.

Thanks, Travis.  I'm trying to "think ahead" in case I do go for a head/cab configuration instead of a combo.  Some cabs are way more expensive than others, and I was wondering how much of that price difference can be shrugged off as product branding, especially since most of the cabs I've seen have the same speakers.

tcobretti

If you play really loud in places with poor PA systems than a half stack or even a full stack might be a good idea.  That said, I owned a half stack for years, and probably won't again.  You can get a lot of sound out a 2x12 if you're not afraid to crank it.   Also, many 100w 2x12 combo amps have the option of running a matching 2z12 external speker cab.  So you still get 4 speakers but with the brighter sound of two 2x12 cabs (assuming the 2x12 cabs are open back).  

However, if you play metal, you should just get a half stack.  The closed back 4x12 is a key component to those guys sound.

Leandro

Quote from: tcobrettiHowever, if you play metal, you should just get a half stack.  The closed back 4x12 is a key component to those guys sound.

In a sentence, how would you say a closed-back cab differs in sound from an open-back one?

A half stack is a 4x12 cab, right?   :oops:

I think two speakers ought to be enough for me.  A 4x12 is just too big.  Plus, you say that 2x12's sound brighter?  Cool!

sir_modulus

Closed back cabs have more Bass in them, while open back cabs have a brighter less bass soundwhen sitting in front of a Closed back cab, it apprears to be louder, but really an open back is just as loud, and fills the room with more sound (as the back spreads sound also). Just choose an amp that sounds good by going to a store and playing all of them.

petemoore

IMO
 1 Speaker type: can make a huge difference
  2cab type: open back to closed makes a difference
  3 Cab model: Homemade to Peavey to Marshall V/R, smaller  differences than 1 or 2 [ie yer basic solid cab may be heavier, and sound a little different, 'projection' is the catch word for Marshall 4x12's {half stack cab}].
  My buddies 3/4'' plywood 4 x 12 cab sounds very much like my Marshall V/R [vintage reissue] 4 x 12,  both are loaded with Greenbacks.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

tcobretti

I agree with everything you guys have said about the characteristics of the different types of cabinets.  

To my ears, any guitar amp really sounds better when it's cranked; i.e. a 1x12 combo amp with volume at 8 sounds better than a half stack set to 3.  Part of the rock guitar sound is the breakup in the speaker itself.  Many classic rock recordings have been recorded with small amps turned up all the way (like Jimmy Page's Supro from the early Zeppelin albums). So, like I said before, if your band is REALLY loud then you can turn your half stack up to 8 and it'll sound good.  Otherwise, buy a 2x12 and crank it up.

Incidentally, I bought one of the little Vox Brian May amps and it sounds pretty cool when you crank it.  A little metallic for my taste, but cool nonetheless.  I built one of Generalguitargadgets' Brian May Boosters and it sounds exactly like the treble booster part of the Vox BM.  I loaned it out and my friend won't give it back.