center positive wall wart question

Started by Robin, August 30, 2003, 11:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin

I have a few 9 and 12v dc (center positive) wall warts and would like to use them with standard barrel jacks. I realize these normally closed jacks simply take the positive battery terminal out of circuit when the adapter is plugged in (using the outer part of the jack barrel). If I were to wire one for center positive use (bat+ to ckt. and bat- to normally closed jack terminal), then plugging in the adapter would take the battery negative out of circuit but leaves battery positive still connected. What problems would this cause?

Robin

I wouldn't  be using this with the power-switching-on-the-input-jack scheme. (Sorry -- couldn't find the "edit" button)

Rob Strand

If you don't use the wall-warts for anything which need the positive on the inside, just re-wire the 2.1mm plug so it has positive outside.  Having both non-standard wall-warts and non-standard effects kicking around is just asking for trouble in the long term.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Robin

Yep, the obvious overlooked again. Thanks, Rob.