TS-808 HELP!!!!

Started by Danny G, July 09, 2004, 12:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

My first build was a Big Muff.  Actually worked, too!  Now I'm building the TS-808 from GGG and am having mondo trouble.  I'm better at building now and even have a decent DMM but CANNOT make it work.  There is sound when the effect is off, but when on... nothing.

I took some readings with the DMM and found some anomalies:
--Got no resistance readings for R9 (10k) and R22(4.7M), even after
  swapping them out thinking they were bad.
--On the board, got no DC readings for IC pin 1 to ground, switch lug 3 to C11, and switch lug 5 to C1/R22.  All other connections including jumpers showed normal voltage.

The Q readings were: Q1--E 6.73, B 7.09, C 9.20
                               Q2--E 6.83, B 7.20, C 9.20

I found I had some misconnections, and that 2 of the Electrolytic caps were in backwards, but have since fixed those problems.

I've triple checked the wiring to all offboard components and the circuit board.  The only mods I did were increasing C3 to 0.22 uf and increasing a resistor value, which I changed back thinking I put the wrong one in.

WTF!?!?!?!

I'm definitely getting the perfboard blues.  I built the Buzztone which someone posted here not too long ago--it initially worked, then STOPPED once I wired the tone control correctly.  GRRRR!!!  Can't seem to fix that one, either.

HELP

Mike Nichting

I would try a new IC. I have had them bad right from the distributor~!!  It damn near drove me crazy trying to figure out what was wrong untill I swapped out the IC's and it fired right up.
Besides this just keep looking it over. It always helps me to walk away from the project for a day and come back with fresh eyes and brain :-)

Good luck~!!
Mike N.
NUKLHED
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech