Started by Hydesg, July 17, 2004, 02:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csj

Combos
'74 Fender Twin Reverb (modded) w/Eminence

'72 Fender Champ (modded) w/ 12" Weber Alnico

'66 Fender Princeton (modded) w/ 12" Mojotone

'81 Mesa Boogie Mk IIB  (modded) w/ EV

5E3 6L6 clone in a Bob Burt tweed covered pine cab w/15" Weber ceramic.

Heads
All homebuilts without any name really. Many of the amps were built around the tubes I had available. They are stand alone heads used with another Bob Burt uncovered pine cab which houses a Celestion Blue and a Celestion G12H30. I'm going to have another cab built by him which will probably house 2 of the newer higher SPL/wattage Eminences. I really like the sound of the Tonker.

Marshall style 18 watt (modded) with reverb, no trem.

Fender style SE with 5Y3/6SF5/6SJ7/6L6 tube comp. (about 7 watts)

Marshal style PP with 6CA4/12AX7/a pair of Mullard 6BM8 (about 7 watts)

Vox style PP with 5U4GB/12AX7/6BR5/ a quad of Dutch 6BQ5 (30 watts?)

Vox style PP, same as the above but with a pair of Amperex 6BQ5.

Unknown style PP with SS rect/6EU7/12AX7/ECC90/ a quad of USA 7868. (LOUD, at least 50 watts). Voiced like a Bassman.

Fender style parallel SE with 5V4/6SN7/12AX7/ a pair of RCA 6V6. (10 watts).

Moonlight clone SS rect/EF186/6SN7/with Tung Sol 6SL7. (a couple of watts)

Spitfire clone with a beautiful pair of Amperex 6BQ5. (15 watts?)

Marshal Artist Series 3203. SS preamp/12ax7/2 EL84. (This amp sounds like caa-caa).

As you can tell...I love EL84s.

MartyMart

Peavey classic 30----->   a great under rated tone machine.
Marshall JMP 1 -> desk for recording   or --> power amp& Mashall 4x12

Lots of "Goodies" to choose from in front, some home made and some "mod" fav's like a turbo TS9,SD1,DS1,Metal Charger MS10,Overlord III
etc etc etc !.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

theaxeman

My Rig is as follows:

Fender Jaguar --> Cry baby --> (DIY)Fuzz Face --> BOSS DS-1 --> BMP --> EH Small Clone --> Laney VC-30 Valve Combo
                                     |                                        
                                    \/                      
                           Behringer V-Amp 2 (In FX Loop)

Sounds prety good, the Laney is great (it only cost £400 ($640) brand new). It  runs on 4 El84s and 3 12AX7s. All the FX sound great, the FF in particular, as it makes my Jaguar sound less thin.

Rob

Hal

peavey Ultra 112

LOVE the drive channel, except it doesn't really do a good bluesey crunch.  Thats what my Easy Face is for :-D

petemoore

I'm a fan of less complicated designs with these things...simple is good in many ways.
 that said [FWIW], most of the designs are good, or workable and they're all moddable...
 More tubes means different things, depending on how they're wired...could mean more gain, more TC, more reverb...etc.
 The quality of the components has alot to do with the way the thing is going to sound. Good quality Components through the entire chain 'usually' means something good will come of it.
 Basically, I feel they're all good, as long as they're built 'right', application being a primary contributor to percieved 'greatness'...great amps get "That Sucks" labels all the time by having been subjected to 'misapplication'...A Deluxe Reverb, noted as a great amp, may get Sukki label when forced to try to do a HM sound.
 I doubt a coutry picker would prefer my MkII amp over a Deluxe etc.
 Choosing the right amp for your application is key to it's greatness [or percieved greatness].
 Any 'good' one, I Like, but for different things. Later CBS series Fender amps being an example of not so 'good'.
 Basically if you're tube amp is working right, with the right guitar speakers, effects, [good tubes], under the right application ...[maybe a mod or two?], has no choice but to be great.
 A distortion amp should sound great when distorted, and do clean.
 A clean amp should sound fantastic when clean-ish, and will get a different distortion sound.
 Then there's the ones with extra switches and gadgets, which tend to be more stuff to dial in, possibly more noise...and everything inbetween...that purport to do everythng, maybe some do, I'm not the one that knows about them tho, always opted for the keep it simple and sounding great method.
 Possibly one good reason I like a simple high gain or clean tube amp so much, is that I DIY stompboxes, and have found that these type amps are easier to tweek the boxes to.
 IMO added flexability means also more complicated, and more to tune, I like a standard type amp voicing, preferring the 4 input Marshall with Bright and Normal vols, [revoiced inputs may be necessary], then tweek the boxes to suit.
 Amps with lots of knobs, already have lots of knobs...I like having the 'extra' knobs [how many do you really need?] on the effects devices.
 It could be my boxes are tuned to my stuff and all, but I notice many amps of my buddies don't necessarily respond so well to the effects, commercial or otherwise...so...hence I suggest for a DIY'er, consider keeping the amp section[s?] quality, but relatively simple, and use the effects you build and tweek to drive the amp in various ways.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Lonestarjohnny

Normally I would play my 65 Super with my Echo-Tech or Echoplex with a modded TS-9 and a Homemade F/F, sometime's an AD99 delay.
But with all the RunOffGroove Emulator's I've got built I've been having a blast with my Old Black Peavey Classic 50 combo, and different Emulator's, I still don't have the part's to finish my 160 watt Peavey Mace, I'm looking for some TL072's for my preamp, as soon as I can get the part's I need I will finish it and my Custom Pedal board that will house 6 Emulator's, delay, tube O/D,reverb, wha and volume pedal,, I think this will give me the rig I've alway's wanted with plenty of variation to keep me from getting bored with just one tone.
JD

travissk

I use a Peavey Classic 50 4x10 combo amp... I'd say it's underrated, but 90% of the reviews say that it's a great amp :D. Sure, it won't beat a lot of the Marshalls or even more expensive amps, but they're pretty cheap. Loves pedals; I tend to use the clean channel. My only real gripe about it (and other 4x10 combos) is that it's HEAVY to lug around when you don't have a car.

I'll be sticking with that as my primary amp for at least 2 years, because I don't want to get rid of it and don't have room for another big amp in my room (dorm situation)

I also have a Rogue 1x12 SS guitar amp that I keep meaning to bring home; it's actually pretty nice for the $30 I paid for it. Also likes pedals, but that's because it's pretty transparent. The dirty channel is absolutely horrible.

jsleep

'64 Bassman  2x12 Naylor (Jensen style)
'65 Bandmaster 2x12 Jensen
Tweed Champ

JD Sleep
For great Stompbox projects visit http://www.generalguitargadgets.com

nils

I use a Fender Blues Deluxe. loud'n'dirty. Obviously not a great choice to test my DIY boxes at home  :roll:.
"If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT."
- Frank Zappa

nooneknows

- Marshall JCM 800 Combo 50W, single channel, 1983 circa
- Marshall JCM 800 head 50 W, single channel, 1982, modded to 4 input, plexi spec with a post-PI MVolume, through a 1960 cab
- Peavey Classic 30, heavily modified, with Jensen C12Q Speaker
- Marshall lead 12 transistor, 1985  (a nice home toy)

with:
- Strato with 3 Seymour Duncan SSL1
- Tele with a SD '59 Hb at bridge and a SD neck STL1
- Strato with a SD JB at bridge and 2 Di Marzio Vintage '54

guitar -> MosBoost -> FuzzFace -> SD1 -> DS2 -> BD2 -> CryBaby -> Rotovibe ->Amp

(MosBoost and FuzzFace are 'rookies', I still  have to find the right position in the chain)

black mariah

- Peavey Supreme Transtube head
- Sunn Beta Lead head
- Sunn Concert Lead head, if I ever get it fixed
- Jackson Reference 50, if it's fixable  :?

Right now I'm using the Beta Lead, running a New Clipper (thanks again, Gary!) into the front end, with a 31-band graphic EQ in the loop. Every guitar sounds completely different through this setup, which is quite surprising given the amount of distortion we're talking about. Speaks well for the New Clipper, IMO.

Gilles C

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe.

Too loud for me, so I began putting 12AT7 in place of the 12AX7s...

Drive channel for standard Blues.

Pedals with the clean channel only.

jasonober

1978 Ibanez artist w/   DiMarzio Super Distortion (bridge)    PAF(neck) both   north and south coil tapped
-> DIY LPB2  -> 10 loop true bypass(   ->1.  535Q wah->2.  (2) IbanezDM1000 delay->   3. BOSS CE-2->  4.BOSS OD-2->   5. Tube works Tube Driver(mod)   ->6.  DOD FX50 overdrive peamp  ->  7. BOSS DS-1(mod)  ->  8.   BOSS MD-2 ->    9.     Trace TAG EQ ->   10.    BOSS  BF-2  -->)   DOD FX10 BiFET (soon to be replaced w/ DIY boost with tone stack)  -- Ernie Ball Volume  --    A/B/Y  ---BiAmp EQ

Channel A   Sovtek MIG 100 w/ 12au7s(v1&v2) 12ax7   6L6s  JJ
Channel B   Peavey XR600 pa (soon to be replaced with Music Man RP65)

home made stereo 4x12 w/ celestion 70/80s

My wife thinks i'm nuts because I'm a chef  this is just a way to spend my free time

Paul Marossy

'74 Twin Reverb
'86 Seymour Duncan Convertible 100 watt
'98 Hot Rod DeVille
Octal Fatness
Matchless Spitfire Clone
Firefly

RedHouse

Marshall JMP 2204
"November" (AX84) modded with MV
"October" type amp (from an AX84 member)
Twin Reverb

EdJ

AX84 renegade which in small venues i use with 2x 6v6 and outside or in bigger venues with 2x EL34.Amp goes true one 12 inch speaker that came out of a LABL5.For home use i have a High Octane also from ax84.
Strange but i haven`t practised at home with an amp for over 20 years.
Ed

Branimir

um...

i'm using a ax84 hioctane..
building a renegade
and thinking of a third chanell for a renegade, twin reverb clone preamp...

since i stopped doing distortion pedal after i found out how HO sounds too good :)

easyvibe this week...
hehe
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

troubledtom

i use a carvin 2000wtrms power amp. i also have i very nice collection of
"holygrail" amps that i rarely use.
         - tom

snorky

My gigging amp is a Tech21 Trademark 60.  I'm currently playing a Korean (wood) Steinberger (hacked in a number of ways) thru it.  If you're careful with the controls, the TM60 has a really nice overdrive channel and the clean channel sounds good with pedals.  It's also LIGHT at 36#.   (For you tube guys, I also have a Boogie .50 caliber...)

- Mark
Elephants are the new skulls.

toneless

AX84 P1 diy tube amp.
Pure 5watts from a single 12AX7 and a single EL84.
Lot's of pedals between the amp & guitar.

I love EL84!!!So sweeeeeeeeet!!!