what amplifiers do you guys use?

Started by Hydesg, July 17, 2004, 02:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris R

BD13UK

I use one of three amps that I own depending on what I'm doing at the time, I tend to be from the old school and dont really like channel changing amps so I either use a Fender Blues Junior a Laney 100 watt Protube head or an old Impact 60 watt head and run the pedals thru the front, Marshall Compressor Modded TS7 AC Booster Voodoo Lab Microvibe and a Delay it seems to work so If it aint broke I wont fix it although the Microvibe does tend to colour the sound a bit which is annoying at times.
Brian

brett

I don't understand amps, but I like my MusicMan 65 (210).  From early seventies, I think.  Has diode limiting on the input that prevents overloading the 12AX7, and makes for nasty distortion if the input signal is too high.  So the diodes have to be kept happy, and it stays clean until the power tubes overload (6CA7/EL34).  But then it's VERY nice, thank you...
Oh yeah. I buit this massive solid state amp to go with a high-power Da1chi speaker (500W).  It was a waste of time.  Loud but not interesting.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

slotbot

I use either a JCM 800 through a randal and home made cab

OR

A trayner Bass Man MK II with an ampeg cab.

Both amps are 1 channel.

Sometimes if i am being really picky or want extreme control i put a boss ge 10 right in front of the amp (last effect).

one memrable sound: Digitech metal master=> home made muff ? (slightly modded) => GE 10 => Traynor Bass Man => ampeg 4x12.

a good lead sound i use alot in recording is

Boss Chorus ensamble => boss hyper metal => boss DD-3 => Snarling dogs Blue Bawls Wah => Marshall JCM 800 => home made 2x12 with goldbacks.

william

I don't use any effects before the amp except a ns-2.  I've been playing with a wah a little more now, but I'm not really great at it.  

I use a Peavey 5150 to practice with.  I also use it for recording.
Live I use a Mesa Dual Rectifier With a chorus in the effect loop.  

When I record direct I use a Triaxis using my PodXT to simulate a cab, or just the PodXT alone.  I also have an ADA MP-1 that I use for my synth work.

Jose

Trainwreck Express diy (the bomb)!!
2 69' Twin reverbs (blackfaced bias sections)
66' Gibson 20rvt (modded by Kendrick a long time ago)
72' Marshall Super Lead 1959(only mod is 1k 5w. screen resistors & ceramic sockets)
62' Dual Showman
5e3 style deluxe (output section accepts 5881's bigger p.t. & o.t.)
2 '79 Marshall Super Leads 1959
2 1960b cabs

Usually run stuff dimed (with attenuation sometimes). Like there's any other way?
Jose

smashinator

Crappy crate 20 watt  (with chorus and reverb! wahoo!)
Crappy crate 10 watt  (with reverb)
Both of these have bad input jacks and rattle.  But there's something great about using a really, really crappy amp....   Wait, no there isn't.

I used to have a Marshall 12 watt baby stack, but I had to sell it when I moved back to the U.S. from Europe.  Oh how I miss THAT amp!

I'm saving to get an Orange AD30.  :D  I fell in love with that amp 4 years ago.  Almost had enough to buy one once, then there was an emergency.

I'm also planning to build an ax84 p1 extreme.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

slajeune

I use a Gibson GA-15rvt as an amp.  It's the second amp I ever got (the first was a cheap ross amp!).  It's all tube and very, very clean (i.e. even full blown, NO distortion).  At the time, I was fairly interested in nice clean blues tone.

For distortion, I'd rely on on an MXR distortion+ or a Fuzz Face (Re-issue).  Also had a wah (dunlop).

Cheers,
Steph.

casey

sovtek mig-50 into a 2X10 Fender Cab.

totally sweet.  8)

i use a boss sd-1, a son of screamer, daddy-0 for my overdrives...

rp-7 (not factory presets) for my modulations.

boss dd-5 tap delay
Casey Campbell

Mark Hammer

59 Tweed Princeton w/JBL 2110 8" speaker instead of original Jensen.  Once in a while I throw in a 6L6 instead of the 6V6, a solid-state rectifier instead of the 5Y3, and maybe lift the 22k negative feedback resistor for icepick-in-the-forehead tone, but usually stock.  I've had this beats since 1976, and its like an old horse that knows the way home.  Point it and it will take you there.  Never ever lets me down.

Mostly original 59 5F2-A Bassman.  Has been largely recapped, and needed a re-issue P10R to replace the 4th speaker that went missing prior to purchase.  The other 3 are the originals.  Had a guy make me a rear cabinet panel to replace the one it was missing.  I have no idea how he managed to cosmetically mimic the staining and wear on the rest of the amp.  My guess is it either required time-travel, theft of someone else's rear panel, or a seriously debauched week of coffee, smokes and beer locked in a closet.  Don't really play this one enough.

A variety of battery-based low power amps.

A recently acquired Imperial Cobra Mark II head (2 x 12AX7, 2 x 6V6GT, 1 x 5AR4).  Desperately needs transformation into a Trainwreck Express or 5E3.

Prior amps included a BF Tremolux head modded for post phase-splitter master volume, tone-stack defeat. and 6CA7 tubes (sounded like a Hi-Watt in its prime), one of the first issue Peavey Classics (2 x 12, hybrid SS+Tube), a mid-60's SS medium power Gibson of some kind (modded and sold too quickly to remember the specifics), a solid-state Silvertone head w/reverb & tremolo, and my very first, a Lifco "National" amp with a muddy 12", bad tubes, and more input jacks than knobs.

Jim Jones

Homebuilt JTM45-ish head.
Homebuilt 20-watt 1987 head.

I also have a 1983 Marshall 2204 but I prefer my homebrews to be honest.

As far as older amps go - I have a 1966 Garnet Pro and a late 60's Traynor Bassmate head.  I normally run the heads through my Marshall 4x10 but this summer I'm putting together a pair of 2x12's with old alnico Celestions.

Jim

lenwood

I use a Pignose G40V all tube, pre-amp and driver section changed to Marshall SLP specs. Great clean and drive tones dependent on input gain.

Les paul or Flying V>SD-1(modded)>Volume reducer(boost/rhythym) DIY pedal >pandora px2(set for echo/reverb only)>G40V w/ ext. 12" monitor style cab no horn.
Lennie

WorkBench

I use a 65 twin with Doug Hoffmans AB763 board I installed.  I use Weber Chicago 12's and right now JJ power tubes and pre except the 12at7's are Mullard.
All good things in all good time

remmelt

am i the only one around here with a bluesbreaker? i have a 1962 RI. it has 2 greenbacks of which i am especially fond. i got the amp second hand nad it was a bit of a bad buy because i found out that the previous owner had tried to mod it without knowing how..

so i brought it in to our local guy and he fixed it up as well as he could for me, but it's now a class-A amp. it has great tone still, so i'm not complaining (anymore).

i used to own a JCM900 1x12 which was alright but not what i was looking for and after that a H&K tube 50 which was WAY to finnicky for me... too many settings.

effects:

US Strat -> TU-2 tuner -> NPN boost (hooray!) -> TS-10 (ok) -> Big Muff -> DD-3 -> Holy Grail -> Bluesbreaker

but never all at the same time, i usualy try to not bring more than 3 effects to play.

GreenEye

Precision Electronics 10 watt single-ended 7868 PA converted to guitar amp.

Bogen 20 watt Challenger CH20A PA (with two EL86 power tubes) converted to guitar amp.

Bell 10 watt single-ended 6L6 PA converted to guitar amp.

STOMPmole

'75 Marshall MKII 50W and 4x12 Greenback cabinet.
Early Marshall JTM45 Reissue head w/ 1x12 Greenback cabinet.
'55 Fender Tweed Tremolux w/stock reconed Jensen.
Epiphone Pacemaker w/ stock reconed Jensen.

and...(embarassed to mention but actually not bad sounding) Line6 GuitarPort.

lightningfingers

DIY guitar -> DIY Fuzzface -> DIY Easyvibe(LOTS of mods there) -> Danelectro Tunamelt -> DIY Rangemaster -> AX84 P1 with Mullard ECC82 and EL84
U N D E F I N E D

Danny G

1981 JCM800 2203 w/Full Stack

Boss TU-2
Boss Blues Driver (w/homebrew Keeley mods)
Phase 90 (w/r28 toggle switch m,od)
Small Clone
Crybaby (w/TB+voicing mods)

Gain on the head at 7-8 for natural overdrive.  Boost it with the Blues Driver.  Have to "coax" a clean tone with the neck pickup + volume knob, but I like the many different "shades" of tone I get rather than either clean OR distorted.

dv8

Late '80s Red Knob Fender Twin - semi-clean tone

Boss TU-2
Orange Squeezer (DIY)
Sili-Face II (sometimes)
Boss DS-1 (modded) for Marshall tones
Boss SD-1 (modded) for overdriven tones
EH Small Clone
Rocktech Analog Delay (sometimes)

Handmade Strat

Acoustic:
Martin D-15 w/Fishman undersaddle active p/u
Tuner
Orange Squeezer (DIY)
EH Small Clone

nightingale

68 bassman w/2x12cab
94 blues deville 4x10
traynor yb1A with matching 4x10cab
81 twin reverb bface  w/ the aspen pittman high gain/marshall mods..
diy 18watt minimalist head...

tonight i will play the deville.. but i play the twin alot too..
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com