what amplifiers do you guys use?

Started by Hydesg, July 17, 2004, 02:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ansil

may i ask what amplifiers do you guys use? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>yes

do you guys run your pedal into the clean channel of your amp?
or pedal to dirty channel of your amp ? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> no there is no real clean channel it is a blend pedal when i actually play my own stuff or yes on a fender hotrod deville that is a friends

i was wondering about this for the whole day

if it's diy pedal to clean channel

i would get a good clean channel combo amp

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>alot of people would go this route.  personally i have a micro beast. smaller version of the minibeast that i play with.  also i am working on a custom orange ad30r type amp. i also have this schematic if monkey or someone wants to host it i could email it to them.

PB Wilson

Crate Vintage Club 60 watt tube amp with 2x10 speakers. Don't Laugh. It's a really nice sounding amp with two independent channels.

I mainly use the clean channel and use pedals for overdrive, fuzz and distortion. I'd like to use real tube distortion, but my ears and my neighbors wouldn't like it one bit. :wink:

I'd really like a low-wattage amp with the ability to switch tubes like the THD Univalve, Emery Superbaby or Groove Tubes Solo Single. I'd love to crank those up and let the tubes work, although I'd probably still bother the neighbors...

I also have my first amp, a Peavey Audition 20 solid state amp. Needless to say it doesn't have the best tone and I had to replace the speaker after I blew it, but it was my first and I can't seem to let it go.

space_ryerson

heh. I'm sort of an odd one:

I use 4 different 80's Randalls, of various shapes and sizes. I use them for both clean and dirty. My favorite is a 80 watt former combo, that is now a head, run through a celestion loaded Randall 4x12. Not a tube to be found. It has such a razor-y sound, without sounding shrill. Sort of like a heavy metal LZ I sound. The clean tones are really nice too, believe it or not.

My signal chain is looking like this these days:

guitar>random distortions (for texture only; whatever my mood ring suggests)>Whammy II>Modded Vox Wah>R28 modded Phase 90 (thanks Fretwire!)>Tokai analog delay (nice and gritty)> Amp > (out fx loop) Reaktor (through my mac, hard-bypassable)>old dod chorus> maybe tokai phaser >MXR stereo flanger>Power amp> out the speakers.

My 2 main guitars are an old lefty strat reissue, and a lefty 73 les paul custom.

Mike Burgundy

I seem to play less and less guitar after having discovered the merits of SERIOUS low end rumble (I love my low-B) but to start off with guitar:
Fave:
KittyHawk M1
Svet 6L6-loaded, class A loaded with celestion G12M, open backed cab. Added: closed cab 2x G12T.

others:
Sessionette75 old-style (G12M loaded)

modded and rebuilt Electar (Jensen 10"loaded)

Hammond FireFly with slanted 4x3"

assorted attempts at own designs (not in use though. That one still has to be built. ahem).

Bass:
SWR 8004 head into home built 4x10" plus 1x15", all Eminence, tuned at 45 and 31 Hz.

SWR SM400 into Hartke 2x10" and 2x12". Not mine, but it's in the rehearsal studio. Versatile but waaay too clean. Great EQ though.

Philips Sierra all-tube bass head. A whopping 4W (!!!!!) of bass amp.

Wannahaves:
If I ever get back into blues guitar: a bluesbreaker.
For bass: an original VST with 8x10". No question about it. A friend has one - there's only one amp that can make this sound and plain movement of air. Maybe a Glockenklang to compliment it. ah, dreams, dreams...

Gilles C

Quote from: Mike BurgundyWannahaves:
If I ever get back into blues guitar: a bluesbreaker.

...So, as someone said in some previous posts, ...I should definitly make myself a Bluesbreaker 8)

puretube

Quote from: puretubeMarshall JCM 900 > Marshall 4x12 straight
Sovtek MIG 50 > E-H 4x10 blonde
Hendrixson Wah-Caster > 2x10 trapezoid
(http://www.pure-tube-technology.com/Furth/wahcast679.jpg)
a.o.

STRICTLY CLEAN CHANNELs for FX.

thomas2

i use a 9-v battery powered amp.. based on the little gem  :lol:  i like it so much. i believe i'm never gonna buy a tube amp again.. (i've had all kinds of tube amps from modern mesa and marshall to 60's vox amps in the past) :wink:
tee se itse tai kuole

vanhansen

Came across this while searching.  Thought I'd share what I use.

My whole rig, which I just trimmed down to keep simple:

Crybaby Wah (modding now for TB and voice mod)
Phase 90 (R28 mod)
BOSS Super Overdrive (SD-1) (modded)
BOSS Super Chorus (CH-1)
Marshall JCM 900 100W MkIII 2100 - one channel but footswitchable volume controls.  This is the model before the SLX came out.  Has plenty of gain.  I love the tone from this monster.

My cab is an old Musicman 4X12.  Not sure what speakers it as but I've had my Marshall up to 5 through it and it held up.  Also had a 5150 through it at full volume with no problems.  It's a tank.

I use a Crate GX-15 to play around/practice with, same pedal arrangement.
Erik

jayp5150

Peavey 5150 head (w/ Sovteks--creamy!!), Laney 4x12, or custom-built 2x12 w/ Peavey Sheffield speakers.

Clean channel?  Amps have clean channels?  I'm kidding, but it's nearly impossible to totally clean up a 5150.  You have to run a single coil, set the pre at 2-3, roll the guitar back to 5, but then you have no volume.

I currently only have a reverb and a Bad Horsie.  I'm working on a muffer and would like to eventually build a NeoVibe or EasyVibe, but I just started into this, and so far I suck.

Working on it, though.

John Egerton

Marshall MODE4 300w amp head...

Zvex fuzzfactory
Digitech Whammy WH-1
Line6 DL-4
Boss AC-2 Acoustic Simulator
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Boss CH-1 Chorus
Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay
Orange Squeezer
Boss NS-2 Noise Supressor

All effects through the clean channel of my amp...

When using the amp's dirty channel I tend to use is as a stand alone distortion as its quite nice unmodified. I may add some delay from the RV-3 sometimes.
Save a cow... Eat a Vegetarian.........

thumposaurus

Lately it's been a Bogen Challenger (solid state model C-60) that I picked up at the goodwill for $15, changed one of the mic inputs to a 1/4 inch jack and added another 1/4 jack on the back for a speaker out.
It get's used with either an old silvertone(?) 2x8, an old ampeg 4x12 or an old traynor 1x15.
Sounds kinda blah by itself but a fully cranked LPB that I built drives it's input quite nicely.
Handles guitar, bass, and theremin duty I feel I've gotten my moneys worth out of it.
I also have a Multivox 1x12 combo, sometimes get's used for stereo stuff, and a Crate GX130C head that I may be getting rid of soon.
and if you want to count mini-amps I have a smokey amp that I gutted and now drives a talk-box and two little gems one that I built into an altoids tin, and another one that I built into a stuffed teddy bear.
Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Tony Forestiere

Carvin "Musicians Tube" VTR-2800...(right Adam  :wink: )  Can't use it full power!

'77 Gibson Marauder>Paia Axe Grinder>EH Small Stone     >Boss DD-3>
                               EH Big Muff Pi      EH Electric Mistress
                               EPFM Preamp      

>VTR-2800 Clean Channel 1/2 power  >Acoustic 6x10" Cab
 w/i Reverb & 7-BandGraphic EQ

Mix with the mood I'm in> Could be soft  8) or ANGRY :twisted:

Best  to all!
"Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together." Carl Zwanzig
"Whoso neglects learning in his youth, loses the past and is dead for the future." Euripides
"Friends don't let friends use Windows." Me

vseriesamps

Japanese reissue Stratocaster with Bill Lawrence pickups, Craig Anderton's signal buffer, newer MXR Super Comp, Tim Escobedo's Tripple Fuzz (DIY) or DIY Fuzz Face, sometimes DIY Austin Trebleblaster, Ibanez TS9, Guyatone Noise Reducer, Danelectro Dan-Echo, Boss pedal tuner.

All this into a 1x12 '67 Gemini I with rebiased preamp and mid knob added. Cathode-biased. Modified to accept 6L6 and 6V6 tube variants.

Best I've come up with yet.
uh oh

MartyMart

Peavey Classic 30 and Marshall JMP-1 pre amp into power amp and 4x12 or direct into recording desk ( Mackie 32-8 bus )

The peavey records well with an SM57 pointing at the speaker, about 30cm from the edge not cone! and a "Rode NT2" as an ambient mic about 2-3 metres away.

For testing out distortion/overdrive pedals i use the clean channel of both, otherwise the amp overdrive would mask the pedals tone.
For modulation or delay pedals then i can use the anps overdrive channel.
Favorite pedals at the moment are my self built BSIAB II and Tube Reamer, i also use several old "Pearl" pedals like OD5, Chorus and Flanger and Boss BD2, DS1, SD1, CE1, PS3 and PQ4  Ibanez TS9  etc etc !!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Tubebass

'68 Traynor bassmaster yba-1
    '69 Traynor custom special yba-3
    early 80's Peavey Bass Combo cut down to a head
    ancient Earth 4x12 cab
    equally ancient Peavey 1810 cab (1x18 + 2x10)
    mid 70's Yamaha 100w 1x15 combo

All of the above is used by my kids in their various bands. I play through my nice new....

Yorkville XS400tc, this is a combo amp with 2x10 + tweeter. It has pretty decent built-in compression and distortion, so now I only need to carry my tuner and chorus pedal!
More dynamics????? I'm playing as loud as I can!

Jason Stout

Scavenger 7 with Felix Unger like game. Heavy on the jacket.
Jason Stout

Jason Stout

Sorry about that last post, I had a strange sense of humor last night. As for amps I have an Ampeg B5R for bass and a Fender frontman reverb for guitar (I usually bypass the stock speaker.) Some day (when I restore it) I will have a Fender Vibrasonic Reverb to play through.
Jason Stout

Danny G

1981 Marshall JCM800 2203 into 2 stock Marshall cabs

Boss TU-2, TS-808 clone, modded Phase 90, modded Crybaby.  
Sometimes an EH Small Clone

I have the dirt up on the head (single channel) about 75% and boost it with the TS.  Very nice tone.  I get way more sounds with this set up than I did using separate clean/dirt channels.  Many shades of tone rather than just two sounds.  The head overdrive cleans up nicely with the PU volume rolled off.  Very warm clean tone like that.  

I'm very happy with my rig!