Author Topic: 1/4" stereo sockets  (Read 4256 times)

frank05330

1/4" stereo sockets
« on: July 23, 2004, 10:48:18 AM »
this might be a dumb question but i want to make sure i get it right first time....
can stereo sockets be used for the output? all the diagrams ive seen show mono output sockets.

also, the sockets i have arent the exact same as the pictured ones. I can see which lugs are for which connectors though. I assume that the descriptions are what they say, e.g. the tip is the part that touches the tip of the jack, the sleeve is the part that connects lower down the jack etc....

remmelt

1/4" stereo sockets
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 11:23:24 AM »
the output needs 2 connections: signal and ground. a stereo jack will have three, so you have enough ;)
in other words: yes it will work!

tip is the tip, sleeve is the middle and ring is the bottom part (usualy ground).

cab42

Using two mono sockets
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 03:48:59 PM »
Hi List

A variation of the threadstarter:

How to use two mono sockets?

As far as I can see, the stereo socket is only used to switch power on when you plug in the the cable.

Then it should be possible to use a mono socket for the input  when wirering so that the power is on all the time. I am planning to use my power supply anyway, no problems there.

My guess is that the minus on the power supply should be connected directly to Ground on the circuit board. Is that correct?

Regards

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER

aron

1/4" stereo sockets
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 06:00:58 PM »
Yes, just connect to ground.

niftydog

• Awesome!
  • Hey you're a dog, a BIG dog, a nifty-keen-type dog
1/4" stereo sockets
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 07:41:59 PM »
tip is the tip, sleeve is the middle and ring is the bottom part (usualy ground).

Uh, swap "ring" and "sleeve" around.

Tip is the tip, the sleeve is the large part closest to the housing. The ring is inbetween the tip and the sleeve (shaped like a ring!).

TRS plugs (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) is what some people call them.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

aron

1/4" stereo sockets
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 08:50:50 PM »
This is why a meter is so valuable. Using the continuity test you don't have to guess.