Orange Squeezer Noise

Started by crang85, August 16, 2004, 05:49:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crang85

Im getting noise from my orange squeezer, playing or not. I still hear the guitar but the noise over powers it. Does anyone know what this could be because of.

george

help us out a bit here ...
- is it an actual Dan Armstrong orange squeezer or a clone you built yourself?
- what sort of noise is it? AC hum, hiss, whale mating calls?
- has it always done this?  
- are there situations where it is more noisy?
- what sort of guitar are you using?
- have you read the FAQ's?

crang85

its a clone that i built and it has always done this. im running it through a standard strat. this is my 4th pedal and i have got them all to work. the OS is huming and more so if i use a DC jack than a battery. ive read the FAQs and im going to check my ground connections but i want to know is there a specific problem with hum in the OS

Boofhead

I will help a lot if you go through the stuff George mentioned.

At a guess I'd say a ground wire is missing or has come off - possibly at the
sockets.

Added:  Seem like as you typed I typed.

Quotebut i want to know is there a specific problem with hum in the OS

No, there's a problem.

george

Quote from: crang85its a clone that i built and it has always done this. im running it through a standard strat. this is my 4th pedal and i have got them all to work. the OS is huming and more so if i use a DC jack than a battery. ive read the FAQs and im going to check my ground connections but i want to know is there a specific problem with hum in the OS

one thing worth checking is whether you have your live and ground connections to the input and output jacks right (ie live goes to the plug tip, ground to the shaft).  I got this the wrong way around once (with an OD pedal) and it was REALLY noisy.

Remember that a compressor will amplify quiet signals (ie noise), if you are playing a single coil pu guitar in front of your computer monitor this would be quite noticeable