"AMERICAN WOMAN" PEDAL

Started by brian wenz, August 15, 2004, 01:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
   Anybody know anything about the Sansamp "American Woman" pedal??
Schematics??   Circuits??
Thanks-
Brian.

petemoore

Just to be specific, not that I prefer one over the other [ok[ you're talking about the Guess Who, Burton Cummings singing?
 Sounds like a nice 'ol Fender Tube Tremolo Circuit to me. A very good tremolo [I think] for this type of sound is EA Tremolo, the OD...It sounds like amp OD...I recall Reverb also.
 Probly usin' a tremoverb...just to test my recollective ear for sound IDing. Someone might just know the actual answer....
 Lenny Cravitz version...sounds like it's gating or very heavily compressed [Fuzz] ...it's a bit hard to 'memory hear' one, then the other version.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

csj

The original was done with a Herzog. Check out JC Maillet's excellent site... as I recall he's done some work with the circuit. The original was built by Garnet Gillies of Garnet amps. Tube driven. I've got a hand drawn schematic but I've never tested it. JC has the real thing I believe.

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
   No, there's a pedal by Sansamp called the "AMERICAN WOMAN".  It's based on the Garnet Herzog sound used on the Guess Who songs.
It's a pretty new stompbox....supposed to sound good.....was wondering if anybody had any info on the circuit.
Brian.

Kilby

There are sound samples near http://www.tech21nyc.com/american_woman.html

It's supposed to sound like the distortion sound gained by using two different amps.

I was going to try one out in Denmark St last week but didn't have the time, possibly I will get a chance in about 10 days or so.

BTW I had never heard of the guess who till about 6 weeks ago and that was becasuse I was looking for the chords to Shakin all over (I still way preger the original Johnny Kidd & the Pirates version).

Kilby...

brian wenz

Hello Hello Kilby---
   Yeah, Kidd's version is still the best!  Somewhere in my video collection I've got a black & white vid of a British band doing "Shakin'"  on a t.v. show [all dressed up in black clothes...].  It's not Kidd and the Pirates but I'd really like to find out who it is...  
Have you seen Mick Green's  "Pirates" out gigging??
Brian.

bwanasonic

Quote from: brian wenz
It's a pretty new stompbox....supposed to sound good.....was wondering if anybody had any info on the circuit.

I've heard that the gating circuit in it is a PITA and may or may not make the pedal totally unusable for your purposes. I'm not sure if Tech 21 has addressed this.

Kerry M

brian wenz

Hello Kerry--
     Why would it make it unuseable?
Brian.

StephenGiles

Kilby - the lead guitar on Kidd's Shakin all Over was played by Joe Moretti - absolutely brilliant for the time, but if you listen hard enough you will hear that his guitar was not quite in tune - dare I say 43 years later!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

brian wenz

Hello Hell Stephen--
    Yeah, Alan Caddy [The Pirates guitarist at the time] played the second guitar part on that song.  I think there was another Pirates cut that Moretti played guitar on, too....
Did you see the Joe Meek story???   I think there is some footage of Joe Moretti playing in that.  [The footage of The Honecombs is worth the price of admission, though!]
Brian.

RDV

I've only heard the Guess Who? version. I like it.  We play the Who Live @ Leeds version every night we play. Can't find the Pirates one(& I have looked!).

If that's what Kaiser is using on the demo it's amazing. That guy knows how to work feedback. I did a 5 minute or so one-handed feedback solo meself last night with guitar, BSIAB2, English Channel, and VOLUME.

The Best Fun I Have.

RDV

StephenGiles

Hi Brian
I think Joe played on Kidd's follow up single, Restless, which had a very similar guitar solo
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

brian wenz

Hello Stephen--
   Yeah, "Restless"!  I've got that one somewhere......jeez, this has made me want to dig out all my old Johnny Kidd stuff again!  It's great to here one of the original  English bands that influenced EVERYBODY even though nobody knew it!    You already knew that I played guitar for Lord Sutch, right???   I forget who I've told...
HEY, RDV-- Look up "Johnny Kidd and the Pirates"  on Google or something and you should find more info.  Essential pre-British Invasion listening experience.
Brian.

chumpito

Well, I have a schematic of the herzog.  I could run-up a FET version and send it to somebody to post either today or tomarrow.

brian wenz

Hello Hello Chumpito--
     That would be great!  Maybe Munky could do it !??
Thanks-
Brian.

RDV

chumpito

Schematic is done if anyone wants to host it or leave their email.  I'll probably do a pcb within the week also if anyone wants it.

cd

Quote from: chumpitoSchematic is done if anyone wants to host it or leave their email.  I'll probably do a pcb within the week also if anyone wants it.

I can host it, please forward to coledavis2000@hotmail.com - thanks!

Marcos - Munky

You are faster than me!!! :P :P :P
I like to take a look in the schematic (amp and FET version) too. My (new) e-mail is REMOVETHISdiygescorp@yahoo.com.br.