"AMERICAN WOMAN" PEDAL

Started by brian wenz, August 15, 2004, 01:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug_H

chumpito

Quote from: Doug_HI don't think this is going to be as simple as just emulating a Herzog. A Herzog is basically a Champ derivative with a line out and resistive load which is used to drive the !@#$!! out of another amp. I believe it's the distortion/EQ/etc of the little amp *cascading* with another amp that creates that over the top sound with all the crazy harmonics.....

I'm far from an expert but from what I understand the sound does come from the cascading aspect.  This needs to be used in front of a tube amp to get that sound.  But the idea is being able to run an amp at '10' into another amp for even more distortion.  The idea also being you want to saturate the transformer.  An amp is only able to accept so much voltage so I don't see this as just making a super gain to give it it's sound.  
P.S. There is no EQ just a bright switch in order to get more gain.
P.S.S. If you want less sag as in the posted text, you should run this at a higher voltage supply.

chumpito

Sorry one more thing to add.

I've already been viewing all the fet amp emu's in this way(as Herzog).  Just leave out the LPF and add a transformer.  Make a copy of your amp and run it into your amp :shock: .

csj

I'm going to build a tube based one of these. Zzounds has the AW pedal for $109 plus shipping. Like Kerry says, I'm a little concerned about the quality of the thing and I've already got most of the parts anyway so I can get it done cheaply. What I'm not sure of though is what voltage to run the 6V6. Was it run originally in the 300+v range? Lower? Anyone know? I've got several OTs to choose from, all with 2A filament supplies so I'll  set it up to swap tubes.

I'd like to set it up as a true stomper too but I just know there's going to be a lot of noise with the signal in/out sitting so closely together at the switch point...I've had this problem so often now I just expect it. I've taken to spacing the in and out wires on the the 3dpdt's outer lugs now as a matter of routine because I've had so many problems with it. Hum too...always there's hum debugging when I work with filaments. Always. hmm, maybe I can talk myself out of it.

cd

I have a line out on my SF Champ (modded to tweed specs).  When I plug it into my Twin, I can get that super saturated sound quite easily.  The only thing I don't like about the setup is that the Champ has to be cranked up all the time, which is still plenty loud with the 8" speaker.

cd

Mark Hammer

I made a Rat with a two-pole lowpass tone section, and a slightly lower rolloff frequency range.  I won't say it nails the Hertzog, but you can get a VERY round sustaining tone.

RDV

I always thought the American Woman lead sound was a BMP. I stand corrected. I think a BMP with the tone rolled down gets pretty darn close IMO.

RDV

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
    Yeah, it sounds "Big Muffish" alright.   In the end, everybody can drive themselves nutz getting the "original" sound when, in fact, the "original sound " isn't even the "original sound"........everytime you see a band live [or they do a different studio recording of the same song] it never sounds the same as the first time.  [Kind of like sex....]   Does anybody know what amp Bachman used???  That would make a big difference, too.
I'm sure someone with a Danelectro guitar, a Big Muff, and any reasonable amp could get close enough.  
It's fun trying, though!
Brian.

csj

Doug, I've got a Moonlight here that I rarely use. Maybe I can start by putting a load resistor across the secondary  too and see if that gets me in the territory. From there then the output goes into the CCW lug of a 1 Meg pot and then out the #2 lug through a resistor then to the output jack. Is that correct?  CW lug grounded. What value resistor is it? The output of the little amp gets plugged strait into the input of the bigger amp? Do I have this correct? I never did get the tone control to work on the Moonlight but I never felt the need to bother with it. If this has potential then I'll fuss with it again and consider your cathode gain/voicing adjustments. Thanks...Clay

brian wenz

Hello Hello Doug--
    I agree completely.   Wonder if anybody can dig up a schematic for the Tech 21 pedal??   I bet it could do a bunch more then the Herzog!
Brian.

csj

Doug,
I'll be on it sometime today. Thanks for the input. Right now I've got to get this Coleman generator going. After what you guys went through with the last storm I decided to crank up the generator and sure enough the carburetor is gummed up again. I've got to prioritize and get this thing fixed ASAP. We spent 6 days without electricity (no water either) after Opal. I don't want to go through that again.

More later...

csj

This is the Moonlight

Upper right side drilled to house the new jack and the 1 Meg pot

New wiring arrangement

Outside look of new wiring

Little amp pushing a '66 Princeton

"Moonzog" case

Well, I guess we could call this a "Moonzog". It works just as expected. Greater upper/lower frequency attenuation  and a big fat midrange. Long, long, long note sustain. A little oscillation at maxxed settings. Heavy overdriven tones. Definitely needs a bypass switch to get back to the Princeton's natural sparkle. American Woman tone? Yeah, I'd say so...close enough for rock and roll. I think we're all looking and listening to Tech 21's pedal now though and saying "man, I'd sure like to get that sound!"

For all you Firefly guys...this would be a good option to add to your original. This one is wired so that you can bypass the load resistor/pot/outjack of the Herzog portion and plug the amp back into your speaker cab.

I can't remember who started this thread...Brian Wenz? Sorry man, for hijacking your thread. This setup approximates the original pretty closely though so I thought it would fit here...but it sounds like we're all going to be eyeing that Tech 21 instead.

Oh yes...and thank you Doug.

tcobretti

We definitely need to scrounge a schematic for that American Woman pedal; that thing sounds out of control.

I'd almost day we should all chip in and buy one, and the dude that draws the schematic gets to keep the original pedal.  If we get ten of us in on it, it's $11 a piece.

I'm a little scared of plugging an amp into my amp.  Will my 10 watt vox brian may fry my line 6?

tcobretti

I meant "I'd almost SAY..."

I hate it when I don't proofread.