"AMERICAN WOMAN" PEDAL

Started by brian wenz, August 15, 2004, 01:14:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csj

Doug,
So far I can't get the Moonlight to respond much like that. It seems like it just wants to get loud and crunchy. I'm not sure if there's much I can do with it.  I redid the tone stack which made a big difference removing the original mud but the sustain just really isn't there. I like it though... it's more usuable to me now than it was as a guitar amp but it's not the AW tone I was hoping for. I reallly want to hear how your firefly does with this mod. And thank you so much for your help with this. I actually do like it alot. Not what I expected but I like it for VH/Led Zep type things.

(Note... Jim Jones, you are too modest - you've been a great help to the DIY amp community for years)

csj

Doug, thanks alot for your interest and your help. Yeah, that's the bobtavia being driven by one of the 4049 pedals but I can't remember which one. I use, of all things, a Danelectro Black Coffee to drive it now. The pair has it's own dedicated loop to go in and out of the chain on my switchboard. It's a crazy combination that I really like alot. And yeah that's the skeleton of Who's That Lady. I dig the Isley Bros. Puretube said he used a Jet Phaser. I didn't know that... Hey, I'll PM you. I've got two wahs here I want to rework and your wah clip is one of the best I've heard. That's the sound I want. I'll PM you.
Take care - Clay

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
   So, errmmmmm......anybody come up with a schematic to the pedal???  !
Brian.

Fret Wire

Quote from: csjYeah, that's the bobtavia being driven by one of the 4049 pedals but I can't remember which one.

I hear good things about the 4049 based distortions. How do you like yours for sound. Does it have any touch sensitivity? I'm thinking about doing up the 3-legged dog on ROG's site.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Jim Jones

Hey Clay,

Hey thanks, you're too kind!

I gotta say I like the sound of your modded Moonlight way more than the actual Herzog anyway.  I always thought blowing a kazoo into the microphone was the easiest way to get that American Woman sound.  :)

Jim

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
     How about starting a thread on how to mod yer amp so that it sounds like a kazoo??  Actually , Tim Escobedo probably already designed a pedal that will do that!
Brian.

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
I think "Crosstown Traffic "  IS a kazoo!
Brian.

Jim Jones

Hey Brian,

I believe you're right on "Crosstown Traffic"!

I finally listened to the Tech 21 soundclips - I don't understand why they even named it "American Woman", save for marketing.  I'd have gone with Sustainatron2000 myself.  :)

Jim

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
     Which brings us right back to the Big Muff!
Brian.

Jim Jones

Brain,

Agreed 100%!  A Big Muff would be perfect for that sound I'd think.  Crank it up - use a neck humbucker with the tone rolled down = American Woman.

Jim

brian wenz

Hello Jim--
   Wonder if I can get an endorsement deal for kazoos....
Brian

Jim Jones

Hey Brian,

I bet you could if you try hard enough!  :)  If I move down to Texas can I be your triangle player?  :)

Jim

brian wenz

Hello Jim--
  Yeah, if you run it through a Big Muff!
Actually, I should move somewhere else so that I can be a GUITAR player again!!
Brian.

RDV

Quote from: brian wenzHello Hello--
     How about starting a thread on how to mod yer amp so that it sounds like a kazoo??  Actually , Tim Escobedo probably already designed a pedal that will do that!
Well here's a pedal that sounds like a KAZOO that rocks. It's supposed to be like a TB Mk II, but KAZOO is what I ended up with. http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/schems/NPN_Si_TB_Mk.%20II.pdf

Try it.

RDV