Jim Jones

Looking forward to hearing it, Doug!

Jim

brian wenz

Hello Hello-
  Sounds great!
Brian.

aron

Yes apparently O'Connor goes into great depth about cascading amps and how to achieve the best sound without attenuators. Unfortunately, we mentions it in TUT3 as being later in the book BUT.... he never included the info!

Only after talking to him did I find out I had to get another book!  :shock:

csj

Doug, please post some pics too. I look forward to hearing it!

Fret Wire...FWIW I prefer the sound of the 4049 over the 4558 types. I was able to get a sharper, edgier sound which I more prefer over a round smooth sound. I prefer the 4558 style with the LEDs and sym clipping and a clean Burr Brown chip if that tells you anything.

Yeah TUT3. What a great book that was. I loaned it out and never got it back and have thought about getting it again. I wore the Marshall and the Bassman sections of that book out. I kept his "Principles of Power". The pages are dog-eared and brown too. It would be great to have a series of books like that dedicated to all purpose, in depth pedal building rather than amps.

Ben N

Doug:
I've got an old outboard CD-rom housing set aside for a Firefly build--I guess this is gonna push it to the top of the list.  BTW, did you ever try/consider a pentode pre-amp instead of the 12ax7?

BTW, if I recall correctly, someone (Adam?) once did a "Micro-champ" with a built-in attenuator for just this kind of thing.

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

Kilby

Sorry about the delay in replying as my move to London still requires me to find somewhere to live (still in hotels and guest houses ATM).

Quote from: brian wenzHello Hello Kilby---
Yeah, Kidd's version is still the best!  
Have you seen Mick Green's  "Pirates" out gigging??
Brian.

I have a few albums by Mick Greens pirates (4 OR 5 from the late 70s early 80s). Apparently Mr Green had some sort of heart attack a few weeks ago in New Zealand (I think) but is recovering.

Looks like I will have to get around to building one of Dougs fireflys (two one as a stomp box) once I get a guitar and somewhere to live (notice the order which I mention the things to do).

Hopefully I will get a chance to listen these cascaded amps a little later on tonight.

Rob...

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
     Yeah, Mick Green did have a heart attack onstage while playing with Bryan Ferry.  This was a few months ago and so far is doing well.
Some of the best Pirates stuff  are the many live cd's that have come out in the past few years.
Brian.

cheeb

So was a layout ever developed for this pedal?

tcobretti

I've never seen a layout for it.  The schem is on page 2; go for it!  Somebody should definitely make a vero layout for it.  I'd do it but don't have any plans to build it anytime soon.